Frizinghall models

Jenny Emily

I have been told they will be closing at the end of September.

Sadly true. Was in the shop on Saturday and caught general gist of conversation with another customer that they were moving to an online only outfit after having tried to sell the business. A real shame.

• 3 weeks later...

It's in their advert in Railway Modeller that they will be closing at the end of September unless a buyer is found.

This is another blow to West Yorkshire modellers. With Wakefield Model Railway Centre gone a few years now I'll have to wait for exhibitions to buy my supplies, or go on the interwebs...

Be thankful for having had such a good shop for so long I would suggest. With family spread around W Yorks it has long been a pleasure to find so many model railway retailers. I am sure I would not be alone in feeling that Bradford's successful effort at creating automotive hell may well have discouraged many from accessing their premises.

That really is a shame,i`ve bought loads of Meccano parts in the past from them via the web & have always been pleased with the fast delivery & service.Looking on the bright side,it looks as though i shall still be able to get my parts.

Cheers Ray.

Me too, ever since the French era which started my second incarnation of Meccano.

post-21098-0-93589400-1468957914_thumb.jpg

Of course, those were the days when you could afford the postage; now its virtually prohibitive to obtain Meccano from the UK.

Brian.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Noticed the advert in the latest Model Rail states that a potential buyer is in negotiation and unless the deal falls through the new owners intend to keep the current shop open into 2017 before a new move to a new location.

Thankfully all seems to have gone through seamlessly and the shop seems to be in rude health - I've been in a few times since Christmas and it's been really busy. The new location has been announced on their website as 8a Sapper Jordan Rossi Park, just off Otley Road, Baildon. This is the address of John Ayrey die-cast models so presumably this is the new owner. The move takes place at the end of March.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The move of Frizinghall Models and Railways to Baildon has now been completed and the new shop opened on Monday 3rd April. The shop is on the first floor of a new warehouse building, but a lift is available for the less able of our customers, it is air conditioned, a customer toilet is provided, and a seating area is available for non-enthusiast partners! All the existing staff, except the previous owners Stephen & Elaine, have transferred, so most of the faces will be familiar to regular FMR customers.

All the same product lines, plus some new ones are being stocked, and all the Hornby International ranges are also coming into stock soon.

Many of you will recognise the address as being that of John Ayrey Die-Casts, but the FMR shop is completely separate from the Trade Area of John Ayrey's, and has its own entrance. There has been much speculation on the internet about the involvement of John Ayrey Die-Casts, but it is quite simple - John Ayrey and his father bought their first model shop at Frizinghall back in 1950, they subsequently opened further shops in Huddersfield, Leeds and Manchester under the trading name of 'Bradford Model Railway Centre'. When John's father died in the 1970's the Bradford shop was sold to Mr Wilson, a long standing customer, and the name had to change to avoid confusion with John's other three shops - hence it became Frizinghall Models & Railways. Stephen Wilson is the son of the original purchaser and now wishes to retire from the model shop, although he will continue to be involved with the 'Model-It' range of lights, etc. and will continue to run the Meccano shop.

In addition, the present Managing Director of John Ayrey's Norman Hinchliffe, started his career in the model trade as a schoolboy at Huddersfield in the 1960's, so there has been a nearly 70 year connection between the two Companies.

When Stephen and Elaine were unable to find a buyer for the business, the owners of John Ayrey Die-Casts stepped in to save the business from closure. As the lease for the old premises had come to an end it made sense to re-locate to the new building which is easier to access and has ample customer parking - even for a 40t artic!.

post-31668-0-91277300-1491736444_thumb.jpgpost-31668-0-96722900-1491736477_thumb.jpgpost-31668-0-70766800-1491736566_thumb.jpgpost-31668-0-68288500-1491736614_thumb.jpgpost-31668-0-32266000-1491736644_thumb.jpgpost-31668-0-41579100-1491736942_thumb.jpg

post-31668-0-50890600-1491737073_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

so good to see a model shop being saved rather than just closed down, well done to all those involved many thanks.

Well said. In this Internet age, being able to walk in, inspect, chat and buy goods is still the most gratifying experience. Long may FMR and other established shops ply their trade profitably.

• RMweb Premium

FMR's old premises was just across Canal Road from Arnold Laver's where I get all my layout timber from so it was a law of the Medes and Persians that both establishments had to be visited.  As I need to go over and get some timber in the next week or two I will have to find the new premises.  I look forward to seeing it and wish them every success.

Jamie

I visited the old shop last year, for the first time, found it quite difficult to locate, but the attempt was well worth it - spent a small fortune. A super shop. The pics show the new shop should be just as good. Best of luck for the future and many congratulations for saving such a valuable retailer.

• Like 2

Because the new FMR shop is on a new build industrial estate, most sat-nav systems do not recognise the postcode. If relying on a sat-nav system that does not recognise the post code, then use BD17 7PY which takes you to the 'Halfway House' pub. From there continue a few hundred yards further towards Guiseley/Otley/Ilkley (A6038) to a new set of traffic lights, turn right here into the new estate and our building is on the left. There is a half hourly bus service passing the end of the road, and Baildon railway station is only about five minutes walk away.

Please note that the shop is closed on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Edited by FMR

Because the new FMR shop is on a new build industrial estate, most sat-nav systems do not recognise the postcode. If relying on a sat-nav system that does not recognise the post code, then use BD17 7PY which takes you to the 'Halfway House' pub. From there continue a few hundred yards further towards Guiseley/Otley/Ilkley (A6038) to a new set of traffic lights, turn right here into the new estate and our building is on the left. There is a half hourly bus service passing the end of the road, and Baildon railway station is only about five minutes walk away.

Please note that the shop is closed on Wednesdays and Sundays.

The shop is about a 1/3rd Mile from Frizinghall Station, about 15 minutes walk.   From the Down platform (To Bradford) leave the station turning right, walk past the Garden Centre on your right, then carry on to the Motor Bike Centre and turn right onto the industrial estate, walk in a straight line into the first entrance and the shop is on the right.

Charlie

The shop is about a 1/3rd Mile from Frizinghall Station, about 15 minutes walk.   From the Down platform (To Bradford) leave the station turning right, walk past the Garden Centre on your right, then carry on to the Motor Bike Centre and turn right onto the industrial estate, walk in a straight line into the first entrance and the shop is on the right.

Charlie

These directions are to the old shop which is now closed! Our new shop is close to Baildon railway station.

• RMweb Premium

Charlie

I think that's the old shop now Charlie, the new one is on the road beyond Baildon going towards Harry Ramsdens.

Jamie

This is a disaster! The new shop is even closer to me. No need for driving through Shipley. Definitely cycling distance. I fear my wallet may not cope!!!

My lad wants to know if the Hornby model railway has moved with you? He's saved up all his 2p coins!

Seriously I look forward to visiting the new shop soon

• Like 1

Great news that the shop is closer for a few of you.

We still have the Hornby Model Railway but it is currently undergoing some much needed refurbishment.

Hoping to have it up and running again soon!

• RMweb Gold

This is a disaster! The new shop is even closer to me. No need for driving through Shipley. Definitely cycling distance. I fear my wallet may not cope!!!

Cycling's no good, you can't carry as many trains and stuff home!