0-3-0 t Kerr Stuart

relaxinghobby

post-6220-0-10172500-1312012685_thumb.jpeg

Bonjours, please pardon my awefull French but I have just discovered this in the Jouef H0 catalogue.

An 0-3-0 Kerr Stuart vapeur tank loco de manoeuvre or shunter as it was known in France.

For us in the 4mm world of UK modeling the question is as can an H0 model be adapted to 00 use?

Prices quoted are from £50 on the Ontracks.co.uk website to Euros 45 on some continental sites.

Catalogue number 226HJ2127

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, 0-3-0?

I know I'm not a steam man, but can that be right, or maybe you have a touch of the vapeurs cool.gif blink.gif

France, among other countries, always refers to wheel arrangements in numbers of axles, so a pacific is a 2-3-1. There is a good deal of logic to it, since, as you imply, you can generally rely on there being a wheel at each end of the axle!

Sorry, 0-3-0?

I know I'm not a steam man, but can that be right, or maybe you have a touch of the vapeurs cool.gif blink.gif

It's the Continental notation for wheels, using the number of each type of axle, rather than the number of wheels (the Whyte notation). Bulleid used a modified version, with the appropriate letter-equivalent for driven axles, for his Pacifics and the Q1.

Curious loco- looks more Spanish or Italian than French. Is it something that's migrated from one of the other Hornby International ranges, I wonder?

Brian

Sorry, 0-3-0?

French wheel arrangement notation which counts the number of axles rather than the number of wheels. I don't recognise the prototype but I don't see why not per se, though the platework/tanks look rather continental.

Adam

France, among other countries, always refers to wheel arrangements in numbers of axles, so a pacific is a 2-3-1. There is a good deal of logic to it, since, as you imply, you can generally rely on there being a wheel at each end of the axle!

Well you live and learn! Marvellous!!! drinks.gif

• RMweb Premium

There was an 0-3-0 in the British Isles, in fact 3 of them were built at Hunslet for the Litowel nd Ballybunnion.

Back to the continental notation, Bullied used his own version of it as the merchant navy's were 21C 1 etc and the Leader was going to be CC1.

Jamie

Help....... this post was not meant to be about wheel notation but about using Jouef's model of a British made prototype on some sort of British Industrial layout.

I used the 0-3-0 in the title to attract attention to the fact that this model is soon going to be available. And now the threads gone of in the wrong dirrection.

Now I can't find the web site I first found it on by accident, It was called Triens Historic or similar a French web site discussing models and prototypes.

At £50 I would expect the Jouef model tank to be a modern model with good slow running characteristic?

There are lots of British prototypes that found there way to overseas railways.

This is where advising you, without one in front of the advisor, is going to be difficult, Many continental locos are built to a slightly larger loading gauge, than their British counterparts, so although only 3.5mm/foot they may still be an equivalent size to their 4mm/ft cousins here. and allow intermingling (although you will undoubtedly need to do something about the couplings!) Secondly don't think that because it has just been brought into the range, that there has been any update to either the tooling or the model/drive system. Certainly most of the items in the continetal Hornby ranges, are quite simply re-issues of the original models from before Hornby bought up the ranges - the only real way that you are likely to get an answer (unless someone has one and can give you actual measurements), is to go along to a retailer who has one in stock and look/measure it yourself - unless you are prepared to take a chance on ordering one, and putting it on ebay if it doesn't match up to your requirements

• RMweb Gold

The Jouef catalogue (French version) describes this as "Dessin Libre", which I would imagine to be "Freelance". It doesn't seem to bear a lot of resemblance to the Kerr,Stuart standard gauge 0-6-0T of the Argentina or Victory classes except for the chassis being similar.

A wheel had fallen off!

I remember driving past it at nine control with a crowd of rail traffic staff looking at it with our re-railers trying to work out what to do! I was on Ashby Ville top on 'point care' (points maintanence) when one of the new shunters for Port Talbot had it's first expereince hauling anything when it dragged it round the works back to the workshops! The noise was awful!

• RMweb Gold

Bonjours, please pardon my awefull French but I have just discovered this in the Jouef H0 catalogue.

An 0-3-0 Kerr Stuart vapeur tank loco de manoeuvre or shunter as it was known in France.

For us in the 4mm world of UK modeling the question is as can an H0 model be adapted to 00 use?

Prices quoted are from £50 on the Ontracks.co.uk website to Euros 45 on some continental sites.

Catalogue number 226HJ2127

The French are prepared to have at improving its pedigree

http://littorail76.chez.com/030jouef.htm

The French are prepared to have at improving its pedigree

http://littorail76.chez.com/030jouef.htm

It would seem that it is from Spanish origin, presumably originally from the Electrotren range. With the coal bunker shown, and with a straight (rather than conical) chimney, it could pass for one of the BP&GVR tanks (though they were Hudswell-Clarke or Kitson due, no doubt, to the Yorkshire origins of some of the main shareholders)

In the French article, the shots with the cab removed show potential as an 016.5 7mm model, with a new slightly enlarged cab. It all depends on the quality of the mechanism, not Jouef's strongest point inn the past. Has anybody seen shots of the actual chassis and motor?

Stephen.

Reading this thread left me with no choice. I had to get one. It measures 85 mm over the headstocks and the wheelbase is 45 mm. I will try to get mine looking Swedish, but it probably lends itself to all kinds of butchery.

Regards,

Stefan

post-12040-0-86859200-1313076268_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-84841400-1313076302_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-52121200-1313076341_thumb.jpg

This looks rather interesting, I'm guessing the buffers will be a little too close together for OO/4mm, but that's something which could be resolved with some filling and slightly more solid looking replacement ones. A different chimney would help too.

Have you had a chance to run it yet?

This looks rather interesting, I'm guessing the buffers will be a little too close together for OO/4mm, but that's something which could be resolved with some filling and slightly more solid looking replacement ones. A different chimney would help too.

Have you had a chance to run it yet?

Or perhaps dumb buffers would be well suited to the curves on the Brewery Chris.

John.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived