Holy grail shots

this is my Line, I have seen these before but this is the first time they have been put on Flickr.

the midland railway Langton dock branch north Liverpool, shots of this line are extremley rare.

reason of interest to me, its not far from my house, Ive walked and climed over the remains of bridges and cuttings many times as a kid and it was near to my school,

was an interesting freight only steeply graded line, not sure of exact gradients, my dad remembers black 5's on freight.

it closed in 1968, the bootle end was all in cuttings which have been filled in, the Liverpool end hasnt but is fully overgrown with trees, the first bridge after Fazakerley north junction was taken away, but other bridges where left in place.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.co...p28/5990691856/

Im on the lookout for shots of this line,especially further down near the gasworks

whats your holy grail bit of north west railways?

• RMweb Premium

Michael,

Mine's incredibly specific. It's a photo of Chorlton-c-Hardy station (can't use the full name without asterisks appearing!) taken from the bridge immediately to the north of the station. I'm researching the station at the moment with a view to building a model and, despite having bought most if not all books featuring it and collecting a load of other photos, I've yet to find anything taken from this bridge looking south. As a result I don't have a photo showing the north end of the signal box and some bits of the yard are a mystery.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I certainly hope so. I'm planning to model 1950 which allows me to include the last of the B7 4-6-0s amongst the motive power.

The south end of the station is well served by photographs as your Disused Stations link demonstrates, but photos south from what is shown as Stamford Rd in the map on that site and is now called Brantingham Rd are non-existent. The station didn't change much from the 1940s through to closure in 1967 so I'm on the lookout for anything showing the north end of the box and goods shed as well as the buildings and ground round about. Obviously allotments, a Highways Dept. Yard and a dairy weren't that photogenic!

The whole area is all very different now with a Morrisons and a newly opened Metrolink tram stop!

Simon

its an interesting station, Ive only recentley started looking at that line because of Heaton Mersey shed, known about it from seeing shots and cinefilm, but only recentley started looking on google earth and the like, the bridges and area around the shed is interesting.

• 5 months later...

L&Y Pemberton Loop Line, by passed Wigan Wallgate, ran from Pemberton to Hindley via the only mid line small signalbox at Westwood Park.

Photos of this line (especially the signalbox) are virtually non-existant. It was a busy line back in the early 60's, coal trains to Liverpool ex Yorkshire, westbound loaded picking up a banker (usually a fowler 4F) at Westwood Park. I could see a bit of it from my parents bedroom window. Last train tu use it was a non stop Liverpool Exchange to Manchester DMU, one direction only, passing Westwood park at 6.50pm every night. Finished around 1968 & line closed.

Westwood park would make a nice small but busy tail chaser exhibition layout.

Anyone know of any photo's - I asked at the L&Y stand at Wigan exhibition, but no photo's known

Brit15

have you got steam on the wirral Debs? some great shots of black 5's and 9f's around Morpeth dock and crossing the Egerton bascule lifing bridge along with road traffic

Not yet, Mike.....`twas on the Christmas list; but naughty-Santa let me down!

I've got the notice for the abolition of South, never seen a picture of it.

I live in hope of it popping up in the background of another subject`s photograph.......I`m going to leave a south-signalbox sized hole in my layout, ready for something 'firm' to model upon later.

• RMweb Gold

I live in hope of it popping up in the background of another subject`s photograph.......I`m going to leave a south-signalbox sized hole in my layout, ready for something 'firm' to model upon later.

I suspect it was very similar to CSN, it ceased to be a block post in 1932 (iirc) and probably was used as a ground frame for a while.

I suspect it was very similar to CSN, it ceased to be a block post in 1932 (iirc) and probably was used as a ground frame for a while.

Hi DAS

Your forgetting the 1910 list which gives it as 8x8ft, 4ft above rails, composite construction ie sounds like a standard hut on a brick base. Also says 'second hand when fixed' and gives an installation date of 1902 with an expected further life of 20 years for the structure and 15 for the frame (which controlled 4 signals). Interestingly North has an expected further life of 50 years (in 1910).

When I was looking at the OS maps for the area recently I noticed that "SB" appears against different structures on differently dated maps so guess it was renewed at least once.

The big question is if the hut in the image below is one of it's incarnations...

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10444544&itemw=4&itemf=0001&itemstep=1&itemx=5

My guess is probably no :-( and this is just the hut used by the flagmen for the flat xing.

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Your forgetting the 1910 list which gives it as 8x8ft, 4ft above rails, composite construction ie sounds like a standard hut on a brick base. Also says 'second hand when fixed' and gives an installation date of 1902 with an expected further life of 20 years for the structure and 15 for the frame (which controlled 4 signals). Interestingly North has an expected further life of 50 years (in 1910).

Indeed I did - thanks.

When I was looking at the OS maps for the area recently I noticed that "SB" appears against different structures on differently dated maps so guess it was renewed at least once.

Or the cartographers made mistakes perhaps.

Indeed I did - thanks.

Or the cartographers made mistakes perhaps.

Or maybe the map drawing guys got it wrong :-))

I had wondered about that but they are in very different places. I will post some links when I can. Also will have a look in the frame book and see what it says.

See ya

Mike

Archived