'Garnant Rise'

Swiper

This will be my first railway in 8 years or so, and the basis of track and rolling stock will be from my collection as a child/teenager.

The Brief

1. To build a small railway constructed with ease of travel in mind for use in a confined space.

2. To build a comparatively cheap railway - less than £200 all in, including scenery and rolling stock.

3. To finish the project by April 2012.

4. Constructed in OO

5. Running on DC

Reasons for the constraints are financial, and I'll be doing a full time MA course and working, so won't have much time for recreation!

Theme

It will attempt to encapsulate the sometimes troubled work of preserved railways, using the defunct Swansea Vale Railway as its primary inspiration.

The railway closed after the Council broke their rent promise after landprices skyrocketted and due to repeated vandalism, damaging tracks and destroying beautifully restored rolling stock.

It will however be roughly located near Garnant, South Wales. There will be mixed rolling stock, with the majority of older rolling stock escaping any weathering and newer models will be suitably weathered.

Method

I will initially make a couple of dioramas on 15" long MDF to relearn how to scene set and model countryside environments admist a railway which is slowly dilapidating.

After these are made and evaluated - 3 weeks max, I will work out the size and method of structure of the railway. It is likely to be no longer than 2-3m long fully assembled and 60cm wide.

This will break down into about 3-5 parts to assemble together, ideally in a stackable travelling frame.

Currently the first test piece, 'Garnant Rise' is around 50% complete, pictures to follow tonight with what I plan to do to it and will look for some feedback.

Hopefully this will inspire some other students/postgrads to maybe take up a more unusual hobby which offers a relaxing hangover cure, and respite from work!

As everyone, secretly, loves locomotives and trains...

Ok, time to include photos of the WIP test pieces. Mostly to see if I can actually landscape...

I need to attach some more scrubland flock as the current stuff is far too flat and lacks some life. I also need to ballast/lay track on these test pieces.

The flat board also needs more fencing and some gates made for it. Overall not bad for around 5 hours work so far, hopefully when my order arrives of odds and ends it'll improve them greatly and allow me to start work planning the main board.

fadifk.jpg

6ofksy.jpg

Archived