Shankend legend

scots region

Hello all, amongst the many legends of the Waverley route, for me one in particular has stood out from the crowd, The atmosphere at Shankend. I don't know why this ghost story stands out but its probably the combination of the bleak Scottish Borders, abandoned house and wartime tragedy. The story always goes that a conveniently unnamed photographer tries to get a shot of a working on the Waverley from the gardens of a manor at Shankend, its usually set at some point in the 1950s, by what time the manor has become severely run down, whilst waiting for a chance at the shot the photographer encounters what can only be described as a 'horribly threatening sense of an unseen malignant presence', other versions of the story say that the photographer hears a low chuckling noise in the background. In all versions though the photographer ends up fleeing Shankend. Later he meets up with some fellow photographers of the route, who explain that during the great war Shankend house and its gardens were used as a Prison of war camp, the conditions were appalling and an outbreak of typhoid claimed many of the men, who were apparently buried were they fell. Now it would appear the the spirits of those doomed prisoners are wreaking their revenge by ensuring that Shankend house remains abandoned so that they can have the pleasure of watching their tomb crumble, The Waverley photographers leave our man with a warning to stay away from Shankend, especially at night. Thus the end.

However I have studied photographs of the Shankend area during the time of the legend and I can't find anything to suggest a manor or gardens, ruined or otherwise. So is there any truth to the legend? has anyone had a weird experience at Shankend during the 1950s, don't worry there'll be no mockery on this thread. In fact does anyone have any story they'd like to put forwards?

ScR

Theres a voice that calls me on.

Guest Max Stafford

I think you're confusing Shankend with Stobs Camp. Apparently during the First World War, German servicemen were held at the camp and as in your own account some died in a outbreak of typhoid, cholera or something similarly nasty.

Legend has it that Peter Handford experienced extreme technical difficulties whilst trying to make sound recordings at the spot in 1961.

Some say that whilst this caused him to pack up early, he was hastened on his way by a palpable sense of doom - probably like the one I experience on the way to work at weekends...! :laugh:

Dave.

I think you're confusing Shankend with Stobs Camp. Apparently during the First World War, German servicemen were held at the camp and as in your own account some died in a outbreak of typhoid, cholera or something similarly nasty.

Legend has it that Peter Handford experienced extreme technical difficulties whilst trying to make sound recordings at the spot in 1961.

Some say that whilst this caused him to pack up early, he was hastened on his way by a palpable sense of doom - probably like the one I experience on the way to work at weekends...! :laugh:

Dave.

According to my book 'Shadows in the steam' it was 'strange, rather eerie noises' that drove him off, though other accounts has it as, low ominous chuckling. Still the idea of the spirtis of dead prisoners taking revenge by insuring the distruction of their prison by deccay does make for a good tale.

Watch out for a book to be published next year by the AA (the motoring organisation, not the other AA) and complied by Julian Holland. There's two tales about Shankend and strange happenings there.

Bruce

Watch out for a book to be published next year by the AA (the motoring organisation, not the other AA) and complied by Julian Holland. There's two tales about Shankend and strange happenings there.

Bruce

Are there any of the Stobs stories included in it that are the more "usual" WR ghostly tales, as Dave mentioned?

Are there any of the Stobs stories included in it that are the more "usual" WR ghostly tales, as Dave mentioned?

Sorry Matt,

I have to pass. All I have seen of the content are the proofs of what I've submitted. I have no knowledge of the rest of the book which is entitled "Tales of Britain's Railways."

Bruce.

Not Shankend or Stobbs but near the line to Carstairs.

The A70 road goes over the Lang Whang and passes near Harburn Golf Course. There are local people who will not drive on that road at night or in mist and also people who will not play golf on that course in similar conditions. A wide range of odd sightings, ranging from Roman Soldiers to Coal Miners and their screaming children, has been reported. Al a load of rollocks I thought. Until one day, cycling along without a care in the world, hail stones the size of pigeons eggs started to fall out of a clear blue sky. I have also experienced strange effects where I have been going down the hill at 11 mph and on another occassion up it at 17mph. Probably just freak local weather conditions but I am not going to risk the wrath of any spirits by denying that they exist.

Bernard

• 1 month later...

Hello all, amongst the many legends of the Waverley route, for me one in particular has stood out from the crowd, The atmosphere at Shankend. .....

However I have studied photographs of the Shankend area during the time of the legend and I can't find anything to suggest a manor or gardens, ruined or otherwise. So is there any truth to the legend? has anyone had a weird experience at Shankend during the 1950s, don't worry there'll be no mockery on this thread. In fact does anyone have any story they'd like to put forwards?

ScR

There was certainly a typhoid outbreak at Shankend which killed many people, my recollection of reading about it tells me it was earlier than WWI but I could be wrong. No doubt documented in Hawick library or the Heritage hub.

roygraham

Edited by 'CHARD

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! Having read the book Railway Ghosts and Phantoms by W B Herbert I became strangely fascinated by the Shankend Manor story. However, I have looked on various OS maps from the period and done quite a large amount of research on the subject including a phone call to the park keeper for that area and can find absolutely no trace whatsoever that such a place even existed! There is quite a lot of information regarding Stobbs Camp though. Maybe the story has been changed for some reason to make it a little more interesting? A derelict mansion is perhaps a bit more atmospheric than a derelict army camp......Who knows? The two railway photographers mentioned in my book were Bishop Eric Treacy and Derek Cross who were both quite well known.I would welcome any more info on this as its all a bit of a mystery! What does everyone else think? .....Cheers.

What is the mystery?

Third from the bottom of the page: http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/lowlands/borddata.php?pageNum_paradata=1&totalRows_paradata=39

and ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shankend

Oddly enough, I used to keep in touch with Barry Herbert and have even been round for a brew after I'd landed from from work as his house is not too far from the helipoort.

Guest Max Stafford

Derek Cross didn't visit Shankend as far as I'm aware and this is certainly reflected in the photographic record.

Ron White mentions the strange goings on at Stobs in his 1994 Travelogue video. On location in fact although he didn't appear to experience any technical glitches... ;)

Dave.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 31/07/2011 at 15:19, scots region said:

Hello all, amongst the many legends of the Waverley route, for me one in particular has stood out from the crowd, The atmosphere at Shankend. I don't know why this ghost story stands out but its probably the combination of the bleak Scottish Borders, abandoned house and wartime tragedy. The story always goes that a conveniently unnamed photographer tries to get a shot of a working on the Waverley from the gardens of a manor at Shankend, its usually set at some point in the 1950s, by what time the manor has become severely run down, whilst waiting for a chance at the shot the photographer encounters what can only be described as a 'horribly threatening sense of an unseen malignant presence', other versions of the story say that the photographer hears a low chuckling noise in the background. In all versions though the photographer ends up fleeing Shankend. Later he meets up with some fellow photographers of the route, who explain that during the great war Shankend house and its gardens were used as a Prison of war camp, the conditions were appalling and an outbreak of typhoid claimed many of the men, who were apparently buried were they fell. Now it would appear the the spirits of those doomed prisoners are wreaking their revenge by ensuring that Shankend house remains abandoned so that they can have the pleasure of watching their tomb crumble, The Waverley photographers leave our man with a warning to stay away from Shankend, especially at night. Thus the end.

ScR

I've just been reading about this one. IIRC the photographer was the late Derek Cross who went there and in recounting his experiences to others found that nobody else who went there wished to return.

I submitted a piece for the WHRA magazine about my own experience in the shadow of Shankend Viaduct in the early 1960s.  It doesn't have ghosts or ghoulies but it was weird!  

At that time, my summer school holiday job was working with a radio/tv shop in Hawick.  Tuesdays, being half-day in Hawick was aerial erection day and many 1960s photos of Shankend station house shows off their work - it was a straightforward job with first class reception. However the WRHA article will show that wasn't always the case!  [This is a no-spoiler posting!]

I had no knowledge of unusual goings-on around Shankend until my wife bought the book "Railway Ghosts" and on reading the story about Shankend, I'm afraid my neck hairs made their presence felt.

Also in the 1930s a light plane flying nearby suffered instrument failure near Shankend and crashed ~ coincident or supernatural?  

I'm wondering if in the posting above Stobs and Shankend have been mixed up?

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Agree 1