Class 37 liveries

Dmudriver

• 2 weeks later...

I have a GF split box blue 37 on my workbench that I want to transform into 37111 or 37112 in the Large Logo livery that wasn't.  As I don't fancy fiddling about with the buffer shrouds I have been trying to work out the correct combination of livery details for the two locos.

Can anyone confirm if I have summed this up correctly please?  It appears as if 37111 retained its shrouds throughout its time in the livery but 37112 lost them at some point.  Then there is the issue of the nose top doors, yellow like the rest of the nose in some pictures, picked out in either black or blue in others.

Also, what colour was the roof?  Many pictures show either BR Indeterminate Grime or are in black and white, the only reference I have been able to find is a Lima model and given their old track record on "accuracy" I am not really prepared to trust that source!!

Many thanks!

3 x 37's were repainted during the summer of 1981 at ED in a strange version of L/L livery. - 37 027 / 37 111/ 37 112 they all had slight differences.

37 112 had yellow wrap around noses with black around the cab windows and doors, black nose top access doors, the blue roof being retained, small arrows and bodyside no's, It carry this livery with and without buffer beam shrouds.

37 111 had yellow wrap around noses with black around the cab windows and doors, yellow nose top access doors, the blue roof being retained, small arrows and bodyside no's. but AFAIK only WITH bufferbeam shrouds.

37 027 had the yellow extended to include the cab doors/recesses, black cab windows, yellow nose top access doors and a light grey roof, small arrows and bodyside no's. without bufferbeam shrouds. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robert55012/5586056877/in/photolist-9vC16t-dMcQJs-r8MRdY-oKMt1f-bZP4QQ-qixnYv-pAUTRV-e4Asg2-9ZZy5Z-AsZNSD-dMcRfA-fnbaRu-CCWC8o-rmgBTx-kAM3SG-kva1ji-paoC3g-nFdSbf-m2VXDP-kKQjND-phqkB2-caQrfL-rxWC3y-c2s7ew-ooeWYK-9RMFdQ-doUR6g-bV6tXt-bL2aQT-9WdA6d-ajmYwX-ecwiTj-7G96RS-9GjoPa-bNDwV4-oZp29t-ctmupu-dLhaoq-diHu4f-e217st-cmCtJ1-qZfumD-dG7nko-eejtuG-djzW1e-qHWQJQ-q4kaQH-dVHvZS-j2cr2z-byWa5i

HTH

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260

• 3 years later...
On 21/03/2015 at 11:29, tractor_37260 said:

Yes different light conditions, can make the roof colour questionable, It's possible, but unlikely the roof was re-painted from Black back to Blue on transfer to Motherwell.   L/L 37 026 when at Eastfield, along with a few other L/L 37's (37 175 / 37 012 etc) had re-paints in 85 which included Black - not the usual Rail Grey roofs, they also carried yellow instead of orange cantrail stripes.  L/L Blue locos with Blue roofs were mainly a trademark of Inverness depot re-paints.

Ah, the power of RMweb!

I am collecting the latest Bachmann large logo blue 37 012 Loch Rannoch from my local dealer this weekend.  One thing was bothering me - why is the cantrail yellow?  I thought they were always orange!  I wondered if it was an error by Bachmann.

I tried to Google for photos but couldn't find one showing the stripe.  So I searched good old RMweb!  And here's my answer!

RMwebbers never let us down - thanks for posting!

Vivian

Edit:  Just found another thread!

Edited by cravensdmufan
Link to alternative thread

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 23/06/2015 at 17:34, daveymills said:

Scottish as in allocated there, or just visiting ?

Allocated to ML or ED at some point (for more than a few weeks at least) I reckon where:

37025, 035, 043, 049, 066, 069, 071, 087, 088, 099, 133, 153, 156, 170, 175, 184, 188, 196, 211, 221, 232, 240, 255, 294, 351

But definitively you can take the list and check:

http://www.c37lg.co.uk/history.aspx

Does anyone know which Scottish ones were the first into Dutch livery and when?

I have seen 232 was painted and named towards the end of 1990. I am looking at modelling the Motherwell area in the summer of 1990 and was hoping to sneak one in there.

• 5 months later...
On 04/10/2011 at 02:16, tractor_37260 said:

Another 80's odd ball livery was carried by IS 37 146 - half way between std BR Blue and L/L Blue. Blue body/roof , but with the yellow nose ends extended around to the cabs sides - as per L/L. However nose bonnet tops/window surrounds remained blue - not black as per usual L/L. It did however carry large logo no's in the normal place, black headcode boxes, small std sized arrows and Highland Rail Stags. Perhaps it was urgently required for traffic before the re-paint job was fully completed ?

post-2215-0-50224500-1317690683_thumb.jpg

As I wrote for my article on 37146 in the C37LG's 'Syphon!' mag, the quoted reason was "The Highland Stag looks better on a yellow background"! 

For anyone interested, I run a regular feature in said magazine called "Livery Spot" where I highlight the weird and the wonderful. 

Best wishes 

James

• 3 months later...

37183 was repainted into large logo blue by Swindon Works in 1984, AFAIK the only such repaint ever carried out there. I found it parked on Swindon stabling point on 7th April and went back the next day to take four photos (the scanning of which is still on my retirement To Do List!) It was remarkable in retaining its bufferbeam shrouds, domino headcode panels and frost grilles, the latter a remnant of its long-term WR allocation despite by then being a Scottish loco.

I realised this made the Hornby 37 ideal for a repaint as 37183 and had a model running at the Swindon MRC show that December using SMS waterslide transfers. I'd carved the bogie sideframes into a more EE profile and lowered it, fitted the smaller Mainline couplers, tried to improve the look of the cab windscreens (the black paint helped!), made a pair of headlights by holding a piece of plastic rod close to a soldering iron and plucked two bristles from my toothbrush as radio aerials! By 'eck, we 'ad some fun in them days!

Edited by Neil Phillips