Craftsman Conversion class 122 (MU11)

hello all!

Just ordered this kit from howes so i can represent a unit that my dad saw in his 'trainspotting days'.

We have both a Lima class 117 and a Hornby class 121 in which we can convert (whichone is easiest?). I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me, and i was wondering if it was a hard conversion or not???

If anyone has any pictures of the component parts that would be great as well !!!

Also, where can i get any transfers numbers from (W55.......)

cheers for taking your time to read this,

Jono

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree with using the 121 as a basis over the 117 - less work and should also run a bit better too.

There was an article in BRM - September 2009, covering the conversion which may be of use.

Transfers are available from number of sources; depending on what livery you are going for something like these might do the job.

Cheers

thanks very much guys.

i think i'll go with the class 121, i havent done a re-paint before either, so i was thinking of primer, then spray with railmatch aerosol 'rail blue' then hand paint the ends with enamel yellow?

thanks again for the help, cant wait to get started...

Also, is the etched brass front hard to get into the right shape?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

When it comes to spraying - primer, possibly a white undercoat on the ends, yellow, then blue.

No, no, no Mark - how many times have I told you "Just say no to Corporate Blue". Surely the only livery is green - i'll even bend to some yellow on the ends. :laugh:

Joking aside I'd be interested in seeing what's in the conversion kit too. A 122 would go nicely on the pre-closure NCR with my 121.

• RMweb Premium

No, no, no Mark - how many times have I told you "Just say no to Corporate Blue". Surely the only livery is green - i'll even bend to some yellow on the ends. :laugh:

Joking aside I'd be interested in seeing what's in the conversion kit too. A 122 would go nicely on the pre-closure NCR with my 121.

Nah, it's gotta be blue, although could possibly settle for blue, small yellow ends & white cab roof :locomotive:

Might have one you can borrow, just as soon as you come over to the dark side of EM & DCC ;)

Anyway - enough of the banter; Jono how is your conversion coming along, any photos?

• RMweb Gold

What livery is the railcar carrying now?

The reason I ask is that the previous livery may show through the top coat... lining etc... and you didn't mention it being a stripped body. Of course you don't need to strip the body (sometimes it can be more trouble than it's worth) but you might have to rub down numbers etc.

Good luck and keep us informed :pleasantry: ... remind me that I must get round to finishing my engine detailing job that I'm doing on mine.

CHARLIE :help: *

DC kits Charlie that is :pleasantry:

Archived