Stubby47's Garage Layout - Trelothen

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Level 1 will be the goods yard and eventually the extension on to the fish quay, Level -1 will be the water/harbour floor.

Level 2 will be the small factory.

Level 3 will be the FY and lefthand  point.

Level 4 will be the station.

Level 5 will be the town behind the station.

The height distance between Level 1 and Level 4 will be no more than 35mm, so just enough to split the overall station without introducing Shap-like gradients.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The turnouts near the platforms and goods yard have to be level because the platforms and yard themselves have to be level (right?) so that doesn't leave much room for transitions from level to grade to level again...?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

No, but there should be enough.... ( he said, hopefully...).

However, the point to the factory might be on an incline.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Calling @2ManySpams

For any SR coaches destined for Padstow, which could also be re-routed to Trelothen,  would there be specific coach types / numbered sets I should consider (or exclude), and would an N-class be used (bearing in mind there are no loco turning facilities), or for example a Standard 3MT ?

Ta

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Level 1 will be the goods yard and eventually the extension on to the fish quay, Level -1 will be the water/harbour floor.

Level 2 will be the small factory.

Level 3 will be the FY and lefthand  point.

Level 4 will be the station.

Level 5 will be the town behind the station.

The height distance between Level 1 and Level 4 will be no more than 35mm, so just enough to split the overall station without introducing Shap-like gradients.

I know you aren't doing the climb in one hit Stu but even if you went in for a Shap like gradient (1 in 75) to climb 35 mm on a steady gradient of 1 in 75 you will need a run of 2.6 metres ;)    It's all too easy to end up with some very steep gradients on layouts where length is restricted although it shouldn't be a problem when shuntinga few wagons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

Calling @2ManySpams

For any SR coaches destined for Padstow, which could also be re-routed to Trelothen,  would there be specific coach types / numbered sets I should consider (or exclude), and would an N-class be used (bearing in mind there are no loco turning facilities), or for example a Standard 3MT ?

Ta

Spams will no doubt come in with a fuller answer but on the Mid-Cornwall Lines there will be two sets of Hornby Maunsell coaches:

Set 199 (green) - BSK S3736S, BCK S6657S

Set 242 (crimson and cream) - BTK S3970S, CK S5663S, BTK S3791S

There will also be set 518, green Bachmann Mk1s, which will form the Pentowan portion of the ACE - BSK S35020, CK S15904, BSK S35021

I found these formations somewhere on the web but exactly where is lost in the mists of time.

hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I know you aren't doing the climb in one hit Stu but even if you went in for a Shap like gradient (1 in 75) to climb 35 mm on a steady gradient of 1 in 75 you will need a run of 2.6 metres ;)    It's all too easy to end up with some very steep gradients on layouts where length is restricted although it shouldn't be a problem when shuntinga few wagons.

Thanks Mike.

From FY to station is at most 15 mm up.

From FY to yard is at most 20 mm down.

35mm is almost 9 scale feet. With a retaining wall as well, the visual split between the levels will be enhanced, so I might even get away with less difference in height. 

A couple of coaches or 4-5 wagons shouldn't tax a modern Bachmann loco.

The incline from Treamble to Shepherds was much steeper than 1 in 75 and I don't recall any loco ever failing that, so I'm fairly confident all will be well....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Spams will no doubt come in with a fuller answer but on the Mid-Cornwall Lines there will be two sets of Hornby Maunsell coaches:

Set 199 (green) - BSK S3736S, BCK S6657S

Set 242 (crimson and cream) - BTK S3970S, CK S5663S, BTK S3791S

There will also be set 518, green Bachmann Mk1s, which will form the Pentowan portion of the ACE - BSK S35020, CK S15904, BSK S35021

I found these formations somewhere on the web but exactly where is lost in the mists of time.

hope this helps.

Thanks St Enodoc, yes it does (even down to the Coach numbers!).

I'm not sure the ACE itself would make it to Trelothen, probably just local traffic, (although a light pacific with 2 coaches would be quite impressive (would need a longer release road though).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just by way of explaining a bit more about what I'm thinking about, regarding the rails crossing the road.

This is St Ives, looking up the Tregenna Hill towards the corner leading to the station:

street_1.JPG.8d94882df3fde5c1d52ee47c78dbd352.JPG

We can see the small side street to the left, which doesn't quite line up with the main road on the right, but some judicious urban redevelopment will sort that out.

This is further up, showing the corner:

street_2.JPG.81a16f9f59225e2b890e850220033b36.JPG

This is the kind of view I want to repeat, lots of shops at different heights.

We've now moved to Mevagissy, and are looking down the 'same' small side street in Pic 1, towards the quay:

street_3.JPG.e3357fb395e3a2b17033f78d73c79afa.JPG

Should just fit a loco down there...

So we then see the quay itself:

street_4.JPG.566049fb845685db79eb995098f9b3f9.JPG

A short line straight out to the stone jetty and, if there is room, a very tight curved siding to run along the main quay.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Further to the plan above, the end 'wall' for the layout will be on hinges, so can swing back to align with the main backscene.

So at home, where the domestic garage door opens, the layout will not have this extended feature, but where there is space, the additional section can be added:

extended_plan.png.e61ee76c48e5b96dae414fa2af16b5a5.png

This will give an end-on view as well (inspired by Shell Island, of course).

Operation in the 'short' form can be from just the FY end, but a 2nd operator could run the Goods Yard section front the r/h side. Not sure where they'd stand with the extension though (my layouts are never operated from the rear :) ).

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Of course, as well as the Road Van, Hornby have brought out the bogie parcels van.

I had one as a kid (Dad probably still has it), but can I justify one appearing at a small minor, mainly GWR, station? 

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea of a line down that street. It reminds me of a place I regularly walk and ride, the site of the contractor's line to Kinder Reservoir, which ran from Hayfield. There is a picture of the works train crossing the main street here. 

http://www.hayfield.info/Railway.html

Regarding your back story there were a few proposals around Cornwall that have possibilities. I would like to build one myself and sketched out some lines I thought could have been built by the LSWR if the growth of railways had continued. One was to extend the branch from Grogley Junction to meet with the Newquay line at Roche for a joint section to the coast. An option from Roche was to get into one of the valleys feeding the River Fal and follow it to St Mawes. 

Another idea was to come off the Padstow line at Little Petherick Creek to go south to St Coulomb Major then pick up a valley in the area of St Dennis Junction to get onto the Tresillian River to Maplas, ending at a joint station with the West Cornwall Railway near the centre of Truro.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It seems as if Cornwall could have had numerous junctions, branches and stations - I wonder if the new Great British Railways quango could be persuaded to increase the track milage in the county :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I like the idea of a line down that street. It reminds me of a place I regularly walk and ride, the site of the contractor's line to Kinder Reservoir, which ran from Hayfield. There is a picture of the works train crossing the main street here. 

http://www.hayfield.info/Railway.html

What an interesting little line! I became curious and found this photo: 

https://flic.kr/p/dFgT1F

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

What an interesting little line! I became curious and found this photo: 

https://flic.kr/p/dFgT1F

:offtopic:

Drift alert for trivia comment.

Directly above the loco is a row of terraced houses. That was the birthplace of 'Captain Mainwaring' actor Arthur Lowe, although the family lived in Longsight. Hayfield was probably the home of his maternal grandparents as that was where his mother was born. He was a 'Son of the Railway', his father being a railway clerk and grandfather a platelayer at Godley.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

It seems as if Cornwall could have had numerous junctions, branches and stations - I wonder if the new Great British Railways quango could be persuaded to increase the track milage in the county :)

That got me thinking so I did a quick count. and excluding any completely separate mineral lines there were c.41 junctions in Cornwall although junctions leading to a line to a harbour were very rare on the north coast

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

That got me thinking so I did a quick count. and excluding any completely separate mineral lines there were c.41 junctions in Cornwall although junctions leading to a line to a harbour were very rare on the north coast

Does that count include proposed lines and completely fictitious ones as well?

North Coast rail-served harbours: Hayle, Portreath, Newquay, Wadebridge, Padstow, Bude.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2021 at 10:58, Stubby47 said:

Calling @2ManySpams

Ta

Yo Stubzie

If you are basing your line somewhere in the Padstow area then, depending upon period, then the following locos could be useful: T9, N, O2, 45xx, Ivatt 2MT, Std 3 tank, Std 4 tank, 8750 pannier, class 121&122, class 22, Beatty Well Tank, 1366.

I wouldn't worry too much about tender first running between your imaginary location and Padstow / Wadebridge as a proper loco like a Spam could be put on for the onward journey with extra coaches. It was very rare for tender first running from Wadebridge to Exeter due to gradients and the exposed route. Tender first running happened between Wadebridge and Bodmin North.

Coaches. Well the classic SR two coach set would be a Maunsell BCK and BSK. Very very common in those parts. There was also a Bullied equivalent but we'll see what comes out in the new range. On the basis that the coach leaving your station could be added to the consist of a service heading for Okehampton, Exeter or that London, you could also justify just running a single coach. That would be a Maunsell, Bulleid or a MK1 BCK. 

I do know someone that now has far too much 4mm NCR stock and is considered selling up...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Yo Stubzie

If you are basing your line somewhere in the Padstow area then, depending upon period, then the following locos could be useful: T9, N, O2, 45xx, Ivatt 2MT, Std 3 tank, Std 4 tank, 8750 pannier, class 121&122, class 22, Beatty Well Tank, 1366.

I wouldn't worry too much about tender first running between your imaginary location and Padstow / Wadebridge as a proper loco like a Spam could be put on for the onward journey with extra coaches. It was very rare for tender first running from Wadebridge to Exeter due to gradients and the exposed route. Tender first running happened between Wadebridge and Bodmin North.

Coaches. Well the classic SR two coach set would be a Maunsell BCK and BSK. Very very common in those parts. There was also a Bullied equivalent but we'll see what comes out in the new range. On the basis that the coach leaving your station could be added to the consist of a service heading for Okehampton, Exeter or that London, you could also justify just running a single coach. That would be a Maunsell, Bulleid or a MK1 BCK. 

I do know someone that now has far too much 4mm NCR stock and is considered selling up...

Nice reference to a Pannier in the midst of all that, Pencarrot.........two in fact.......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Nice reference to a Pannier in the midst of all that, Pencarrot.........two in fact.......

I was in two minds whether they should be mentioned but...

• Funny 2