Stubby47's Garage Layout - Trelothen

Stubby47

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I think you have just answered the daft question that pops up now and then. How high should I make my layout? The simple answer is at a height you will be comfortable working on it, after all it is your layout. 

The army said I was 5 ft 9 ins, but I think since 1975 I might have shrunk a little. 

The tops of my boards are 47" from the floor. This is so that there is room underneath for removers' boxes stacked two-high on trolleys. It also happens to be a good height for working on - roughly nipple height for me (a previous layout was at armpit height, which was far less convenient).

I'm 5' 10", which is 178cm in new money but I usually round that up to 180cm as it makes my BMI look better...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve done similar to St Enodoc, with baseboard tops at 46 inches, which is proving to be a good compromise re: viewing height, working height and being high enough to duck under without injuring myself! 

The baseboards are also proving to be just the right height to lean on, great during the current building phase, though it will be more of a problem when scenery has been plonked on the top, I will need to avoid the temptation to rest my elbows on it then....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What we see is the baseboard for DM4MS v2 sat on top of the v1.

The v1 version will be dismantled to help make this:

I also know that  I have room on the frame for TCATS, as DM4MS v1 is the same size, at 4ft x2ft. ( less the full loop at the rear and the add-on FY).

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

What we see is the baseboard for DM4MS v2 sat on top of the v1.

The v1 version will be dismantled to help make this:

I also know that  I have room on the frame for TCATS, as DM4MS v1 is the same size, at 4ft x2ft. ( less the full loop at the rear and the add-on FY).

Where will the PSMT go?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Along with Treamble, Wheal Tiny, the remains of Edward Street and lots of other junk, the PSMT layout is safely tucked away in the loft.

I have a plan for TCATS to add a folding rear loop, this idea can also be used on the PSMT. I've also been watching the threads on r/c controlled stuff, and think that's a probable way forward.

At some point in the future.

I also have 2 4ft x 2ft baseboard frames in the loft. One will be used for TCATS, the other for DM4MS v3.

The garage layout will use 2 5ft x 2ft scenic boards, with a 3ft board for a traverser. I have an option to replace the traverser with a 90° curve and add a longer, temporary, traverser across the end of the garage, but severe negotiations and accumulation of brownie points will be need to get consent and planning permission.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Along with Treamble, Wheal Tiny, the remains of Edward Street and lots of other junk, the PSMT layout is safely tucked away in the loft.

I have a plan for TCATS to add a folding rear loop, this idea can also be used on the PSMT. I've also been watching the threads on r/c controlled stuff, and think that's a probable way forward.

At some point in the future.

I also have 2 4ft x 2ft baseboard frames in the loft. One will be used for TCATS, the other for DM4MS v3.

The garage layout will use 2 5ft x 2ft scenic boards, with a 3ft board for a traverser. I have an option to replace the traverser with a 90° curve and add a longer, temporary, traverser across the end of the garage, but severe negotiations and accumulation of brownie points will be need to get consent and planning permission.

I notice the ‘white goods’ on the opposite side of the garage are free standing... a nice new worktop over, and the possible provision of wall cupboards above could be a good barter for securing said planning permission?  (And, in time, may provide additional useful support for further modular expansion!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Chamby said:

I notice the ‘white goods’ on the opposite side of the garage are free standing... a nice new worktop over, and the possible provision of wall cupboards above could be a good barter for securing said planning permission?  (And, in time, may provide additional useful support for further modular expansion!)

Ha.

Ha ha ha.

No.  Just, no.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

To clarify :)

I have previously offered to add a cover over the washer & dryer, but this is not required (full stop, end of conversation). There are shelves along that wall, mostly with gardening or garden stuff on. Next to the dryer is the chest freezer, which does double as a temporary workbench, but access is often needed at (to me) inconvenient  times...

I have free reign to use 'my' side of the garage as I desire, but woe betide me if I stray...

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I looked at online prices for a 5ft x 2ft baseboard - £120 to £150, each !!

I will get my local carpenter to cut some 9mm birch ply to size and construct them myself.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I've had a play in AnyRail. Typically, the 5ft baseboard join is under at least 2 points...

plan_2.PNG.41094f9630836bd2b5c7014bf7d7f47e.PNG

This is only a diagrammatic plan; sizes, curves, actual placement, etc.,will decided by trial & error. But, with a shallow rise to the platform and fall to the goods yard, a single exit to the FY can be achieved.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right.

Topic reset required.

As I now have at least 2 locos which are definitely north of the border orientated, I've decided to re-vamp the idea of the garage layout.

Also, with there being no exhibitions for the foreseeable future, I want somewhere to play trains which is a bit more than a simple Inglenook.

So, although it will be an exhibitable layout, I've unashamedly copied @NHY 581 's track plan, extended it to 8ft and added a slight curve.

Imagine a fictitious branch line, somewhere near Portsoy and Banff, between Inverness and Aberdeen, which reaches the coast at a small terminus. The viewer will be looking from the land (as Arun Quay), down across the station, over the promenade, to the sea scape beyond. On the distant horizon we can see a faint line of Scottish hills ( as Shell Island).

The infrastructure will be in a Scottish style (buildings, signals) and it will be set in the 1980s. 

I also would like to set the layout at twilight, so platform lights, coach lights etc...

However, there will hopefully be a twist...

Imagine a fictitious branchline, branching off the West Somerset line at Williton and heading east along the north Devon coast until it reaches a small terminus. The viewer will be looking from the land, down across the station, over the promenade,  to the sea scape beyond. On the distant horizon we can see a faint line of Welsh hills.

The infrastructure will be in a GWR style (buildings, signals) and it will be set in the period from about 1930s to 1980s.

By making the few buildings and signals replaceable, I should be able to change the 'location', and with the appropriate stock set the era.

Ambitious, probably, but I have coaches / autocoaches / DMUs that I'm not using. 

plan_view.png.431d0869316f25eeec77823153b9b7b4.png

cross_view.png.9dbde4ef88813e27d0faf1c129f5a160.png

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am sure it would look equally if not better if based in East Anglia with nice GER buildings.  Just a thought. :tomato:

Far too flat...  As someone who grew up in the shadow of Snowdonia, mountains are the one thing I really miss in Cornwall.

Plus, I have no LNER-type stock, so would have to buy some...

No, no, not going to happen.  Just like I wasn't going to buy a Peckett or a 1361...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

However, I've just measured for the required 8 ft on the framing in the garage and found I am 2 ft short if I leave T-CATS in place. T-CATS has to be available to work on, as that's due out in December, where as Tinners can be moved to the loft.

All I can do is keep the garage layout (name to be decided) without backscenes, as this will allow full length use of the framing as the up-and-over front door won't then hit it. 

There won't be room for a permanent fiddle yard, until T_CATS is moved out , but I'll be able to get around that on warmer days with the door open and trestles.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm

For clarification, both names are meant to translate to Whitehills, which happens to be a small fishing village west of Banff, but would also be a suitable name for a north Somerset village.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Far too flat...  As someone who grew up in the shadow of Snowdonia, mountains are the one thing I really miss in Cornwall.

Plus, I have no LNER-type stock, so would have to buy some...

No, no, not going to happen.  Just like I wasn't going to buy a Peckett or a 1361...

Who needs mountains to block the view of a beautiful blue sky.

001.jpg.a5733546f5c30eef6921bd3789ebd51f.jpg

The sea is two miles that way.

002.jpg.1f2ab165bc87fcea218fb449df63b3b5.jpg

Peaceful.

003.jpg.ad8069f4dac1930ae1b0f1deff24850f.jpg

This is the paddock I am trying to get the bramble, wild roses and self seeded hawthorn out of. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

This is the paddock I am trying to get the bramble, wild roses and self seeded hawthorn out of. 

Goats. What you need are goats. They will happily reduce any overgrown land to the resemblance of a nuclear blast zone in a couple of weeks...

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
smelling
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Goats. What you need are goats. They will happily reduce any overgrown land to the resemblance of a nuclear blast zone in a couple of weeks...

Al.

Yes, but not only the land that you wanted them to graze.

Clive, do you know anybody with Exmoor ponies?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell