Stubby47's Garage Layout - Trelothen

Stubby47

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Goats. What you need are goats. They will happily reduce any overgrown land to the resemblance of a nuclear blast zone in a couple of weeks...

Al.

They will also eat the grass which defeats my efforts of making the paddock better for the 'orses.

This what it looked like two years ago.

100_4964.JPG.9c32f7254a5b10e9a115c09988906023.JPG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Yes, but not only the land that you wanted them to graze.

Clive, do you know anybody with Exmoor ponies?

Hi Joseph

Sorry I don't know of any Exmoor ponies around here. Most people seem to have a cob if they have a small horse.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Joseph

Sorry I don't know of any Exmoor ponies around here. Most people seem to have a cob if they have a small horse.

Exmoors are not for riding. Quite stroppy. But great conservation grazers.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having found this thread for the first time, I nearly made a contribution to the debate about station plans, but decided not to .......... and only after that noted I would have been 9 years too late ......... :wacko:

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Chimer said:

Having found this thread for the first time, I nearly made a contribution to the debate about station plans, but decided not to .......... and only after that noted I would have been 9 years too late ......... :wacko:

Well, yes and no.

This is a long term idea that has changed along the way, and will probably change again in the future.

Nothing is started.  The size of the space is approx 14ft x 2ft, with no real decision on the fiddle yard,  which may be put at right angles to allow a longer scenic section.

So please, it you have any suggestions,  feel free to add them.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

So please, it you have any suggestions,  feel free to add them.

Ahem.................

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I am thinking of a suitable suggestion. Such things  cannot be rushed into. 

Just registering an interest.....for now. 

That's all. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/07/2019 at 22:34, Stubby47 said:

I've had a play in AnyRail. Typically, the 5ft baseboard join is under at least 2 points...

plan_2.PNG.41094f9630836bd2b5c7014bf7d7f47e.PNG

This is only a diagrammatic plan; sizes, curves, actual placement, etc.,will decided by trial & error. But, with a shallow rise to the platform and fall to the goods yard, a single exit to the FY can be achieved.

Moorswater Shed is a very good idea - way out of my league, but if I’ve got the geography roughly correct you could have the rail viaduct over one end, the Cheesewring Tor at the other, and a road off to Minions somewhere too?  All prototypical.

That aside, I’d vote for another look at this - a bit different, but having seen T-CATS in the Micro-layout Forum the different levels would be in safe hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, it's been a long time since I was here.

A combination of complete lack of mojo, a freezing cold garage and one's children suddenly growing up and changing their lives (our daughter & hubby are expecting, our youngest lad has just passed Phase 1 Navy training) has all led to a lack of modelling.

But, spring is potentially in the air, lockdown is being eased soon, so it's about time I got a move on.

I feel T-CATS has run its course. Despite a promising start, a lack of both exhibitions and no proper room to use it at home, plus small niggles with the design and implementation of technical solutions has led to the decision to scrap it.

So that leaves me with this layout.

I have 13ft of frame. The left (FY) end is hampered by the up-and-over garage door. The right end can overhang the frame by a foot, but I also want to be able to add a scenic 1ft long section, but this will impact on the space for the domestic style garage door.

I can change the cross-beams that the baseboards will sit on, replacing the 3x1 with square-section 1" metal tube. This helps with the FY clearance.

The FY will be a traverser, not sure yet if the sloping table idea I had that Mikkel has used will be necessary. A lot depends on the height difference between the two levels and the resulting inclines.

One other idea, again depending on space, is to include the Tinner's Forge building on the lower line.

So, next is to clear the frames and order two 4'6" x 2' boards and one 4' board.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Well, it's been a long time since I was here.

A combination of complete lack of mojo, a freezing cold garage and one's children suddenly growing up and changing their lives (our daughter & hubby are expecting, our youngest lad has just passed Phase 1 Navy training) has all led to a lack of modelling.

But, spring is potentially in the air, lockdown is being eased soon, so it's about time I got a move on.

I feel T-CATS has run its course. Despite a promising start, a lack of both exhibitions and no proper room to use it at home, plus small niggles with the design and implementation of technical solutions has led to the decision to scrap it.

So that leaves me with this layout.

I have 13ft of frame. The left (FY) end is hampered by the up-and-over garage door. The right end can overhang the frame by a foot, but I also want to be able to add a scenic 1ft long section, but this will impact on the space for the domestic style garage door.

I can change the cross-beams that the baseboards will sit on, replacing the 3x1 with square-section 1" metal tube. This helps with the FY clearance.

The FY will be a traverser, not sure yet if the sloping table idea I had that Mikkel has used will be necessary. A lot depends on the height difference between the two levels and the resulting inclines.

One other idea, again depending on space, is to include the Tinner's Forge building on the lower line.

So, next is to clear the frames and order two 4'6" x 2' boards and one 4' board.

Good to read this Stu!

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, your modelling and ideas have been missed! Any thoughts about the setting yet? I liked this...

On 21/05/2020 at 12:43, Stubby47 said:

plan_view.png.431d0869316f25eeec77823153b9b7b4.png

cross_view.png.9dbde4ef88813e27d0faf1c129f5a160.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mikkel. I've re-read the whole thread and looked at all my ideas and sketches.

I think I'm going to go with the split level St Ives inspired version, as I think this will give more operating potential which I've not really had on any other layout.

So, I've taken the plunge and ordered 2x 5ft baseboards from White Rose.

5ft? Yes because I can use the 1ft overhang. Plus I'll make the FY board myself to get the height correct, so I can make it less than 4ft if needed.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The baseboards have arrived.  In a large parcel/package with 'FRAGILE GLASS' tape all round. There were still holes poked in the packaging however.  

SWMBO had answered the door, so called me down to bring the package inside.

'What've you been buying ?"

"Well, it's not Glass. It's baseboards."

"Oh."  And that was it :)

• Like 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Prototype shunting question:

Given the track plan above, in Keith's quote of my earlier post and taking the platform loop and r/h cross over and siding only, I'm curious as to the correct shunting procedure when replacing a single wagon in the siding with one brought in in short train of loco/wagon/guards van.

It could be:

Train arrives in loop

Loco detatches, then goes via h/shunt to runround, then picks up wagon from siding.

Loco then goes via main to push collected wagon up to g/v, then pushes all 3 to end of h/shunt to leave new wagon and returns collect van & g/v to loop.

Loco backs off, tuns around to new van and deposits it in the siding, the collects the train in the loop and departs.

Or

Train arrives in loop.

Loco detatches, runs around and collects gv, then runs around again to leave g/v in h/shunt.

Loco then collects new van, pulls old van from siding and pushes towards g/v, then leaves new van in siding.

Loco collects old can & g/v and departs via runaround. 

Other sequences are available. 

Or does it matter? 

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Given the track plan above, in Keith's quote of my earlier post and taking the platform loop and r/h cross over and siding only, I'm curious as to the correct shunting procedure when replacing a single wagon in the siding with one brought in in short train of loco/wagon/guards van.

It could be:

Train arrives in loop

Loco detatches, then goes via h/shunt to runround, then picks up wagon from siding.

Loco then goes via main to push collected wagon up to g/v, then pushes all 3 to end of h/shunt to leave new wagon and returns collect van & g/v to loop.

Loco backs off, tuns around to new van and deposits it in the siding, the collects the train in the loop and departs.

Or

Train arrives in loop.

Loco detatches, runs around and collects gv, then runs around again to leave g/v in h/shunt.

Loco then collects new van, pulls old van from siding and pushes towards g/v, then leaves new van in siding.

Or does it matter? 

Why does the goods train arrive in the loop?  Normal practice would be to arrive on the platform line then run round.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Titanius Anglesmith said:

Why does the goods train arrive in the loop?  Normal practice would be to arrive on the platform line then run round.

Sorry that is what I meant, loop = platform.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The easiest and quickest way, with the least amount of moves, so that the crew get time for a brew  pint.

There, corrected it for you ;)

18 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

It could be:

Train arrives in loop

Or

Train arrives in loop.

Or does it matter? 

You need to think of the things that matter.  

Don't forget that the brakevan needs to be got from the rear of the arriving train to what will be the rear of the departing train - you can either do this by standing it aside as the first move or by using it as a Shunter's 'runner' and keeping it attached to the loco while shunting then shunting it to get it on the rear when shunting has finished.  Some folk liked to have a 'runner' when shunting as it saved walking although a brakevan didn't make for ideal sighting at times, others didn't bother and on your layout distances are short so a 'runner' isn't of much advantage.

The train will arrive either rough' (i.e wagons not pre-sorted) or formed up to allow quick and easy shunting but in any case the yard is so small it won't make much difference and the train will inevitably be short.  The usual priority would be to get any new arrivals for the goods shed positioned first and that would probably require vehicles in teh goods shed to be shunted out first.  Once that had been done the most urgent would be any full load wagons where customers are waiting for them nbanging on the Goods Clerk's office door.  then position the rest.

I'm not sure about the purpose of the spur which you refer to as  a 'headshunt'.  It's not really much use for shunting and in any case the normal way of doing things was to shunt out onto the running line as that allowed a longer raft of vehicles to be handled (e.g. when clearing the goods shed)  which would save time in shunting.  some folk used to prefer shunting witha short raft of wagons while others were happier shunting with a long raft because they believed it saved time (not always the case although it sometimes was and would be on this layout).

if the spur is intended to handle freight traffic then it would be awkward to shunt with an engine and unless towing was permitted (very unlikely) the easiest way to shunt it would be using a pinch bar to get the wagons moving into or out of it - normally on a level surface it could be harder to stop the wagons than it was to get them moving.   In general terms the layout is a bit cramped but you would almost inevitably need somewhere to handle coal and teh bay would very likely be used for some freight traffic as well as potentially providing end loading.

Hope that helps a bit?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

To add to Mike's essay , there was another factor, the humans involved. If one of them, the shunter, guard, signalman or the loco crew was in a grumpy and argumentative mood then what ever was planned could/would go bottoms up and no one would have time for a cuppa. :ireful:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for your replies, very informative. 

I guess it would have helped had I explained the context a bit more.

This part of the station is passenger only, the goods yard is separate  ( by about 20ft vertically ).

The platform has a release crossover, with the kickback siding for parcels only. 

Mike's suggestion of using the guards van as a runner dispells my idea that the guard would not like being shunted about, so that makes the parcels van exchange somewhat simpler.

I'm only planning short unfitted trains arriving in the platform, inbetween scheduled passenger trains, so expedience of the required movements would be required by the station master.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Most of the 'stuff' that is residing on top of the frames has been sorted and will be repositioned in the loft later this morning.

This will leave enough room for the kit building of at least one of the baseboards so I can play with some point geometry and possible siding lengths, plus determine the split in track levels and space for the township.

Temp in Cornwall is not expected to go below 8° today, so the garage should be OK to work in.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3