Southern / BR(S) Product News

burgundy

What "paucity"? An Arthur, a Schools, couple of T9s, couple of M7s, a Maunsell saloon, a Maunsell pull-push set, Bogie Bs in two liveries and no doubt some more modern stuff that doesn't register with me.

An Arthur, a Schools, couple of T9s, couple of M7s - repaints or am I mistaken?

A Maunsell open, a Maunsell pull-push set, Bogie Bs in two liveries- of which the Maunsell 'open' is part of the P+P set plus the new B Bogie van. In reality, two and a half new items, I think that paucity sums it up quite well.

However Hornby overeached themselves in 2011 and I am sure that 2012 will be a year of catch-up plus the possibility of a surprise in the 4th quarter. :D

Please remember that the level of releases was no more than I predicted sometime ago and therefore I am not disappointed, moreover given the economic circumstances and Hornby's commitment to the 2012 London Olympics I do not think that I could have expected much more.

Tim

Guest oldlugger

Thanks again Graham. Hopefully in due course they will include names and numbers as appropriate for all three units for those of us who would like all of them! ;)

I note from your blog the Britannia in full Arrow regalia - I find that encouraging in my wish/prediction for a Class 71 in the not-too-distant future!

I second that Rod! A rtr class 71 (and 74) would be truly beezer as would the Bullied/Raworth class 70.

Cambrian is making up for the Bachmann 25T SR Brake van with some new SR related products "announced". The Cambrian website has been updated since the first of the year and they have moved the LSWR Diagram 1410 Van and Diagram 1543 Brake van to the SR list with drawings. No dates yet. You just have to watch the website. The 1543 Brake van is, I think, what appears in many photos of the Wenfordbridge clay trains.

I have recently built one of the Cambrian C79 LSWR 12/15 Ton 8 plank opens (SR Diagram D1316) with two more to go from my last order.

I do prefer their newer kits such as the C96 SR 10/12/13ton Open Kit (D1400) and C98 SECR 10ton Van Kit (D1426) with a one piece floor and solebars. These go together easier without having to worry about the axles being square with the body.

These kits are a nice break from steady stream of new RTR and not too difficult even for old geezers like me.

My only problem is the HMRS goods transfer sets don't have enough of the small, post 1935 SR lettering.

For we lucky non-EU residents Cambrian takes Pay-Pal but does not deduct VAT to cover the additional cost and international shipping bother.

Another plug but related to Cambrian kits which come without wheels. I have been using Dave Cleal's Mainly Trains for wheels, bearings and brake gear etchings. Excellent international service.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ken, thanks for the update on Cambrian it's much appreciated.

Follwing on from my post about the Hornby 2012 annoucements, I have added a further post to my blog here to confirm a couple of things and a correct a few items of misinformation that has appeared both online and and in some preinted media.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Kernow Model Rail Centre has today announced a new version of the Beattie Well Tank as 3314 in Bulleid Sunshine style livery.

post-243-0-93999000-1327398897_thumb.jpg

Further information and discussion can be found on the RMweb thread here with additonal information and further images on my blog here

• Like 3

I well understand that more skilled modellers than I find that the 2012 r-t-r announcements leave their glass half empty, but I would like to register the viewpoint of their poorer cousins (well-washed but less skilled) whose glass is already more than half full.

Right now, in the queue for my hard-earned shekels, I have (r-t-r in Bulleid Era 3 liveries), new M7, O2 and T9 locos. Upcoming coaches include Gate Stock (Maunsell and Bulleid) and a Third Open R4 (Maunsell). R-t-p for that Era includes half the 1940s London Fire Service (and some provincials), a young convoy of military vehicles in Mickey Mouse and RAF liveries, and Southern National OWB Utility Duple/Bedford single deck buses (perfect in quantity for any Withered Arm layout). And that's not all.

Now, in the last few days, forum members with reliable and legitimate sources tell us that the r-t-p market is to be further enhanced with an Austin Tilly, and a mobile WD canteen lorry. (What's the betting on a NAAFI wagon?). And today, another Era 3 BWT (#3314).

Also, Kernow have given broad hints (nudge and wink) that more ex-LSWR is being considered. Now, I have the square root of zero inside information, but I do know that the 1914 Gate Stock shared the standard 56ft non corridor underframe and Fox's lightweight bogies with any number of Eastleigh's finest diagrams. And it would take a minor, almost invisible modification to present these sub-assemblies with 56ft corridor stock.

The Southern field is rich and fertile; my thanks to all for what I have already been given this year.

PB

• Like 6

A few more bits for the early Southern modeller....

4mm scale Rolling Stock – 5&9 Models

5&9 Models has released two new Grande Vitesse vans; the longer version of the standard van and the 'high roofed' van as seen in Bedford's photos etc. They are available at £12.00 each plus the usual £2,00 p+p per order from the usual 5&9 Models address shown below. The price includes all castings and etched w irons with brakes from EB Models.

www.5&9models.co.uk

4mm Scale Rolling Stock - EBM

EBM has added to the range of Brighton W-irons with versions for braked goods vehicles – suitable for GV vans (see 5&9 Models above). These are an extension of the present straight Brighton goods W iron, but with brakes.

www.mjwsjw.co.uk/

4mm scale Rolling Stock

At Scaleforum, York Modelmaking and Laser Cutting Service were showing examples of a Stroudley goods brake van made from laser cut materials. York Modelmaking advise that the Van was commissioned as a bespoke job, but is available as a kit, although not as on “off the shelf†item, as no instructions have been written for more general sale. The price per single kit would be £29.80, including VAT and, if demand were sufficient, York would consider investing the time to write a set of instructions.

The vehicle is based on the drawing in Southern Wagons Vol II and the shell of the wagon is 2mm MDF to give it strength. The laser etched sides are cut as a fret from white Rowmark plastic (a modified acrylic) and have laser cut Mylar overlays. The kit includes an acrylic sole plate, but not the chassis or wheels.

York Modelmaking Ltd

Laser@yorkmodelmaking.com

www.yorkmodelmaking.com

01904 400358

Best wishes

Eric

Not where this should go but Oxford Diecast now lists the 4mm green/cream Southern National Bedford OWB for new 2012 items. Ideal for the station forecourt on the southwestern part of the UK. Already ordered 2 from Hattons for delivery in the "future" (could be up to 12 months.)

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

Oxford also have a Ruston Bucyrus face shovel or dragline (or some variant of the crane) showing for release in 2012 in SR green livery - I don't know how accurate this is but it looks nice!

EDIT: The SR face shovel appears in the 2012 Hornby catalogue - not sure if this is in addition to a standard Oxford release or exclusive to Hornby. Either way, it still looks nice!! :)

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

Not where this should go but Oxford Diecast now lists the 4mm green/cream Southern National Bedford OWB for new 2012 items. Ideal for the station forecourt on the southwestern part of the UK. Already ordered 2 from Hattons for delivery in the "future" (could be up to 12 months.)

Thanks for the additonal item of Southen / BR(s) news, I have arranged for your post to be moved into this thread from the thread that highlights links to discussion on RMweb of Southern / BR(s) content that is here

I am also happy to add that the Kernow/Bachmann LSWR Brick Built signal box being discussed here is now being shipped from Kernow,

Please keep any relevent news items flowing its very helptful to see them posted, so thank you.

Oxford also have a Ruston Bucyrus face shovel or dragline (or some variant of the crane) showing for release in 2012 in SR green livery - I don't know how accurate this is but it looks nice!

EDIT: The SR face shovel appears in the 2012 Hornby catalogue - not sure if this is in addition to a standard Oxford release or exclusive to Hornby. Either way, it still looks nice!! :)

Actually I think this might be from Corgi. Which explains it being in the Hornby Catalog. I have the face shovel which I acquired about 6 months ago. There is supposed to be a drag shovel model as well. It is simply painted green. The green one is not lettered for any railway. Up close it is not a very detailed model but will work well in a background scene. It does not collapse easily to use as a well wagon load.

Oxford Catalog url: http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/eras/1_76_0__Current.htm

Edited by autocoach

Hornby did a 'tie-up' deal with Oxford Diecast before taking over the Corgi ranges (including the Trackside range). What this means is that Hornby and Oxford Diecast can release the same models but with livery variations. The R-B face shovel in the Hornby catalogue is in green with large 'SR' markings in white. I had a feeling I saw an advertisement for Oxford in one of the magazines that showed the SR one as well as GWR and LNER variants (and LMS too??).

EDIT: Autocoach was correct and these are from Corgi's Track side range. The ad I saw was in February Hornby magazine and the green crane was plain green but the others were in GWR and LNER liveries, while the Hornby catalogue shows the same three PLUS the SR darker green face shovel. Apologies for any misinformation or disinformation in my earlier post.

Edited by SRman

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

In light of this weeks annoucements by Bachmann please find below an extract of a summary on my blog here of the SR content

’00 gauge’ SR Luggage / Parcels Vans PLV/PMV & Van U / CCT.

Bachmann have listed these as being:

39-525 Southern PLV Passenger Luggage Van Southern Railway Green

39-526 Ex-Southern PMV Parcels & Miscellaneous Van BR Crimson

39-527 Ex-Southern PMV Parcels & Miscellaneous Van BR Green

39-528 Ex-Southern CCT Covered Carriage Truck BR Blue – Weathered

As the PLV/PMV differs from the Van U/CCT (which has end opening doors) I have sought clarification from Bachmann that they do in fact intend to produce two different body mouldings and I will advise their reply in due course.

‘N gauge’ Original Style Bulleid Merchant Navy Pacific’s

Those announced to be release are from the are of the Thrid Series that were paired with 6000 gallon tenders and different body shapes to the Second and first series.

The ten in this series were built after nationalisation in 1948/9 so whilst they originally appeared in Malachite they never carried ‘Southern’ lettering.

The Initial versions are:

372-310 No 35024 ‘East Asiatic Company’ in BR blue with early emblem

372-311 No. 35023 ‘Holland-Afrika Line’ in BR green with early emblem

372-312 No. 35028 ‘Clan Line’ in BR green with late crest.

‘N gauge’ Bulleid Coaches

Four types will become available over the next 18 months including the Brake Corridor Second (sic. aka Semi Open Brake Second), Second Corridor, Open Second and Composite Corridor versions. They will all the deep 15″ vent versions built post 1948. It has been advised that these will be produced from new research and not simply a scaled down version of the now quite old 4mm tooling

The initial versions will be:

374-430 63′ Second Brake Corridor Open – Green & 374-431 in Crimson & Cream,

374-440 63′ Second Corridor – Green & 374-441 in Crimson & Cream,

374-450 63′ Second Open – Green & 374-451 in Crimson & Cream,

374-460 63′ Composite corridor – Green & 374-461 in Crimson & Cream.

• Like 2

Those front steps could be very useful to me as I have quite few Hornby Bulleids in all of the forms they have produced so far, and several of the front steps have gone AWOL over time.

On the rebuilt WC/BoBs I have also managed to damage the rear pipe work. In fitting DCC decoders, I got the bodies off with no damage but lost bits when refitting the bodies on two of them - I was being ever so careful but still lost out (with much swearing in the process, too!). Is there any possibility of that being done in brass or copper? Is there any demand or am I the only clumsy so and so here?

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

No, you're not the only one. I've broken pipework on several of these locos too, so replacement pipework would also be a valuable aftermarket item as far as I'm concerned.

• RMweb Gold

If its ok to blow my own trumpet so to speak, thought these Bulleid front loco steps in 4mm scale would be of interest to this group. the steps are at the bottom of the thread

http://www.rmweb.co....s/page__st__125

Robert

Feel free to use what ever brass instrument you like on this thread re your Southern related products. I will be placing an order very soon for number of the steps for my entire fleet of Bulleid pacifics.

Just ordered 5 pairs earlier today of the RT Models website. That should cover me for a while, although I own more Hornby Bulleids than that (five MNs, two unmodified WCs and three rebuilt WC/BoBs ... so far!). :)

Now does anyone do the piping under the cab and over the rear trailing wheels. I tried scratch building it for the missing left side of a WC I acquired of E-Bay. Didn't work too well.

• RMweb Gold

As well as announcing their plans for the next 18 months at the annual trade model and hobby show last week Bachmann also had on display some of the pre-production samples of the work in progress of models announced last year.

One such model on display and of particular interest to Southern Modellers is the much awaited ex SECR C Class 0-6-0.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone.

To put aside alot of speculation and doubt.

I'm now ready to announce that the Albert Goodall range of mostly 4mm scale Bulleid pacific detailing parts has been acquired by myself.

The whole range won't appear as yet as there is alot to sort out so it could be a few months before anything is released again.

Shirley Goodall and friend Jim Corbett have both retired from attending exhibitions with Alberts stand which i'm sure you will wish them both a happy retirement and a big thankyou to them for carrying on Alberts range for all this time.

I knew Albert when i was very young which he passed away 10 years ago when i was 16 and he is one of the people that encouraged me to do pattern making as he gave me a drawing for the Giesl Ejector chimney which i made the pattern for and was going to lend to him but it wasn't to be and it has sat with me only till a few years ago when i decided to take the plunge into manufacturing and designing kits myself.

Whilst almost everything will be re-introduced, some parts will be upgraded or replaced as well addding a few more items to the range, this will also see the current parts i do myself moving over to the Albert Goodall pages shortly which i will be keeping his name on the website pages with his nameplate displayed on them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Great news Robert, I am glad your negotiations, we have previously discussed, have come to a positive outcome, and my offer of any assistance with getting the range back up and on the market is still there.

Well done Robert.

I met Albert and Shirley on many occasions and always came away with many of his Bulleid and other useful Southern bits (like the concrete lamp posts). When they were delivered by post there was always few notes or even a long missive, to help. Always written in Albert's own hand of course. His knowledge of Bullied locos was second to none.

Good luck with this addition to your range.