Southern / BR(S) Product News

burgundy

Somehow I didn't realize the photo's pixel sixe would be so reduced in size when I quickly took the photo's uploaded them from my Droid to my PC via e-mail as I could not find the USB cable.

Will post additional larger photo's on my Blog/Layout topic (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28665-end-of-the-line-padstow/) where there are already a few photos of this attempt to recreate Padstow. The station is a paper and cardboard fairly detailed mockup I did of Padstow about 2 years ago. Layout work has been in suspension until I can build stable bench work and create a better version outside the cramped 12X2 confines of my office/workroom.

Unfortunately I have not figured how to set up a photo of the station court with the Southern National OWB now with open door waiting. Too much trouble at the moment to move the board.

I hope the real station is still standing in early May this year when I get to visit Padstein after the April 28 SWAG meeting in Taunton and will do some proper measuring.

ken

Edited by autocoach

• 4 weeks later...

Dean Sidings 2mm and 4mm

The 2013 catalogue from Dean Sidings shows that the 2mm E4 is now available at £37.00. Radial truck and wheels are supplied plus handrail wire and knobs, smoke box dart, buffers and steps. Only a chassis is required to complete and it is designed to fit the Farish N1 chassis (Pannier). This is quite old and it may be better to use the finer Dapol Pannier r-t-r which has just been released.

The E4 4mm version has been re-introduced with improved detail and extra components to the current standard.

Future 2mm releases include an E2. Langley already produce an E2 kit, but it is quite an old white metal kit that lacks detail and looks rather clumpy. It is also difficult to modify and improve.

Hornby/Arnold 2mm

Hornby, through their subsidiary Arnold, are planning to release a Brighton Belle set to the UK scale of 1:148. According to the press release at

http://www.Hornby.de/ftp/Brigton_Belle_Neuheiten2013.pdf

the set was built in 1934 apparently by the LB&SCR!

Albion 4mm Terrier

The long awaited Terrier is available now at £75.00 (same price as all the other tank locos) and was first released at Scaleforum. The kit will make the A1 & A1X with cab sides for LBSC, IOW and KESR versions. The chassis can also be built as a 2-4-0.

The Albion Models 4mm scale Terrier Kit - a review by Richard Greening

This new kit by John Birch covers most of the LB&SCR, SR and BR versions and also the Isle of Wight and Kent & East Sussex variants (with added cab/bunker side etchings) including the 2-4-0 motor train rebuilds, and can be built in all 4mm scale gauges. The only parts not provided are the short-lived over-tank balancing pipes and the mysterious smoke-box lever which were only fitted to the first six locos in1872. Iron brake shoes are supplied and three types of brake hanger (plus a template to produce timber brake shoes) and four chimney castings for the Stroudley original, the A1X, IoW and LSWR versions. As usual wheels, gearbox, motor, paint, transfers, number plates, coal, crew and smoke are not included.

The top view is always more prominent on a model than on a full size loco, and all the Brighton line’s smaller tank locos feature a difficult detail where the lagging sheet curves and laps over the tank top plate. John has devised an ingenious solution which will allow a full curve to be formed close to the edge of the metal – not always an easy task to achieve, and produce the correct recessed effect to the tank top.

It is not surprising with a class of locos that went on for so long that there is such a large number of little variations, so as always it is essential to find as many photos as you can of your chosen loco to get the correct prototype details – don’t trust the ‘reconstructed’ A1s; Boxhill, Waddon or even Fenchurch for absolute authenticity.

I bought my kit from John at Scaleforum last September and was probably one of his first customers, but cannot yet comment on the practicalities or difficulties of construction as I have not yet started it! The instructions are well composed and logical in sequence, with clear assembly diagrams. GA diagrams of several Terrier variations are included with sketches to identify the more obscure details. There are full numbered parts lists for the etchings, castings and miscellaneous bits such as the boiler tube (no rolling required!) bearings and wire.

From my previous experience with the Albion E1 and E5 kits I do not foresee any problems and I’m looking forward to a satisfying building project resulting in a good model of the most typical and essential Brighton loco.

Available from Roxey Mouldings - dave@roxeymouldings.co.uk

EBM

Mike Waldron is working on a his wheel system, though it has been a bit slow getting off the ground. In the light of the failure of Sharman, and the wheels/crankpins article in recent MRJ no219 by Chris Pendleton, he is proposing to look at developing brass-centred wheels [4’ 6” carrying wheels and 6’ 6” and 6’ 9” single drivers already being developed], with a do-able system for split/non-split axles, with steel 00, EM or P4 tyres. A Back-to-back clamp/jig, with quartering arrangement as well as space for flexichas boxes to be already threaded on is currently under consideration. Ultimately, the aim is to be able to offer all the necessary Brighton wheels primarily for EBM kits (maybe right down to the D3 0-4-4T 3’ 6” rear bogie wheels - ideally with the correct crank throws as well!

If anyone has questions about this system, Mike is happy to develop a leaflet to explain.

E mail - mike@mjwsjw.co.uk

ACE Models 7mm scale

ACE Models have made some more of the kits for the B.2. 4-4-0 in 0 gauge, so that it is again available – price £149.99

a4ace@supanet.com

HAYLING ISLAND BRANCH

November 2013 marks the 50th anniversary of the closure of the branch.

On Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th November there will be a model railway exhibition at the Hayling Island Community Centre. If anyone would be willing to exhibit a layout or to loan display models could they please contact Josh by email to josh-r@ntlworld.com or by phone(if you cannot email) to Peter Drury 02392 642059.

A full list of events can be found on the website at http://www.haylingbilly50.co.uk/events.

Best wishes

Eric

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Albion 4mm Terrier

The long awaited Terrier is available now at £75.00 (same price as all the other tank locos) and was first released at Scaleforum. The kit will make the A1 & A1X with cab sides for LBSC, IOW and KESR versions. The chassis can also be built as a 2-4-0.

The Albion Models 4mm scale Terrier Kit - a review by Richard Greening

This new kit by John Birch covers most of the LB&SCR, SR and BR versions and also the Isle of Wight and Kent & East Sussex variants (with added cab/bunker side etchings) including the 2-4-0 motor train rebuilds, and can be built in all 4mm scale gauges. The only parts not provided are the short-lived over-tank balancing pipes and the mysterious smoke-box lever which were only fitted to the first six locos in1872. Iron brake shoes are supplied and three types of brake hanger (plus a template to produce timber brake shoes) and four chimney castings for the Stroudley original, the A1X, IoW and LSWR versions. As usual wheels, gearbox, motor, paint, transfers, number plates, coal, crew and smoke are not included.

The top view is always more prominent on a model than on a full size loco, and all the Brighton line’s smaller tank locos feature a difficult detail where the lagging sheet curves and laps over the tank top plate. John has devised an ingenious solution which will allow a full curve to be formed close to the edge of the metal – not always an easy task to achieve, and produce the correct recessed effect to the tank top.

It is not surprising with a class of locos that went on for so long that there is such a large number of little variations, so as always it is essential to find as many photos as you can of your chosen loco to get the correct prototype details – don’t trust the ‘reconstructed’ A1s; Boxhill, Waddon or even Fenchurch for absolute authenticity.

I bought my kit from John at Scaleforum last September and was probably one of his first customers, but cannot yet comment on the practicalities or difficulties of construction as I have not yet started it! The instructions are well composed and logical in sequence, with clear assembly diagrams. GA diagrams of several Terrier variations are included with sketches to identify the more obscure details. There are full numbered parts lists for the etchings, castings and miscellaneous bits such as the boiler tube (no rolling required!) bearings and wire.

From my previous experience with the Albion E1 and E5 kits I do not foresee any problems and I’m looking forward to a satisfying building project resulting in a good model of the most typical and essential Brighton loco.

Available from Roxey Mouldings - dave@roxeymouldings.co.uk

Well, if Dapol never get round to doing a new 4mm RTR Terrier, this will certainly be useful. I have a Westward kit to do, but as they are no longer around getting more decent Terriers was going to prove quite a problem. The old Dapol/Hornby RTR just isn't worth the trouble of trying to make it better, IMO.

• Like 1

Well, if Dapol never get round to doing a new 4mm RTR Terrier, this will certainly be useful. I have a Westward kit to do, but as they are no longer around getting more decent Terriers was going to prove quite a problem. The old Dapol/Hornby RTR just isn't worth the trouble of trying to make it better, IMO.

Having struggled through this project, I think I agree with you.

Best wishes

Eric

Union Mills have produced an N gauge ex LSWR 0395,  mine is in SR black as 3441. Minor niggle is the use of a Drummond 6 wheel tender (as supplied with his T9 and 700) that should not be too much of a problem to make look a little more "Adams" . At first we thought the smoke box door did not slope, however an email enquiry elicited the reply that the slope is 2 degrees which Colin of UM says is that quoted on the drawings, and that the slope can look more than that on photos from certain angles. Having done a bit more photo research I tend to agree.

It runs and pulls well  as do most UM models. It's now awaiting a little detailing, vac pipes, lamp irons etc and a bit of fettling to the tender. I may go as far as hacking a Worsley Works Drummond from a Caley 0-6-0, it fits the UM drive although less weight means a bit less pulling power; but being nickel silver easier to solder to. I do have some etched coal rails handy too. Just have to fill in the front of the tender sides, add the box ("tool box?") on the rear  to hide a bit of lead for extra weight, also a piece of lead on top to be covered in "coal"

At the rate things are going it should soon be possible to model the LSWR with a reasonable variety of locos with RTR and kits; we have UM T9, 700 and 0395, Dapol M7, Langley S15, BHE N15, NBrass G6, Peco-Wills B4 (discontinued but still comes up on Ebay)  Worsley Works D15, Watercart tender, and with a bit of hacking and kit bashing others are possible, e.g. H15, most of the Drummond 4-4-0s could be  hacked from existing bits, The UM tender drive is very useful for many of these projects, so far I have an Adams A12 and Drummond K10 using them, in the "project box" a late  Adams  4-4-0,  The same type UM tender drive I have also used to power a BHE Urie N15 (added a pony truck in front of the drive) Etched bogie side frames hide the plain UM wheels. The BHE loco body sits on a Peco Jubilee chassis.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hornby's Maunsell open thirds should be appearing this month according to Hattons.

I too have received Hatton's pre-delivery prediction. Alas, I am afraid the mysterious slow boat from China may again thwart our expectations.

All is quiet on the the Southern Front.....

Not completely :no:

7mm scale figures

Andrew Stadden is offering a range of 7mm scale figures which include models of both Stroudley and Billinton, an LB&SCR station inspector (all at £2-70 each) and an LB&SCR loco crew with variable arm positions at £7-00. Further details are at

http://www.acstadden.co.uk/Pages/OGaugeLocoCrewFigures.aspx

Buildings in 4mm scale

ABM Railcraft have released a series of printed card kits for Southern buildings including some of Brighton design. Those currently available are the Platform shelter from Kingscote and two versions of the Saxby and Farmer Type 5 signal cabin – the smaller one based on Grange Road and the larger one based on Isfield. These can be supplied ready coloured in either Southern or Brighton liveries. The Isfield signal box is priced at £10 and the other two items each at £9.

Al Mansfield, who runs the company is currently working on a late 1880s station building (based on Lingfield Station) and a curved roof platform canopy (based on Baynards) for release by summer 2013.

Among the future possibilities are a 'Country style' LBSCR station based on Kingscote for which a version was produced as a test run of the production process. This is not currently a kit - each item was fully cut-out, unlabelled and there are no instructions - but it can be turned in to one of there is sufficient interest in a card kit of this prototype. There would need to be compromises to make it economically viable to produce - printed tiling and porch for instance.

Further possibilities include an LBSCR goods shed (probably based on Baynards as some data is available) and LBSCR railway cottages (no data as yet). Mirror images of existing designs can also be produced.

As a one man band, located some way from the LBSCR, Al is not easily able to conduct field trips for new prototypes. However he would be interested in suggestions for further opportunities that might have a viable market, and dimensional data that would be useful (subject to copyright considerations).

website (abmrailcraft.weebly.com)

More 4mm scale buildings

CD3D Modelmaking now has laser cut self-adhesive hanging tiles available in 4mm scale suitable for the Myres station buildings (early style for the uppermost area, not the same as the later ones fitted over the half-timbering). These could probably be re-sized for other scales on request.

5 & 9 Models – 4mm scale

Chris now has available an 1851 coal wagon. It consists of two sides, two ends, two solebars, four axleboxes, four springs, one brake shoe and lever, etched safety chain hooks and eyes. To finish the kit you will need etched w irons (recommend EB Models for these), pin point bearings, wheels, fine chain (for the safety chains) and couplings. Price is £9.50 plus £1.50 postage for one kit, £2.70 for two or more.

http://www.5and9models.co.uk/index.html

EBM – 4mm scale

The following wheels - brass-centred, steel tyred - now produced to order:

• ideally suited to use of split chassis/axles, as all-metal,

• can also be produced with insulation - either one side only or both sides. Prices £6 per wheel,

• guaranteed concentric and non-wobble - also adding some much-needed weight lower down for etched brass kits and

• tyres available either to P4 or Manchester standards to suit 00/EM

4' 6" Stroudley carrying wheels - for D1, D2, Gs, Richmond, Gladstone & inside frame tender

4' 6" driving wheels with crankpin - for E1, E3 0-6-2T / West Brighton

5' 0" driving wheels with crankpin - for E4

5' 6" driving wheels with crankpin - for D1, D2, E3 0-4-4, E5 0-6-2T

6' 6" plain driving wheels - for G class, Belgravia with outside cranks

6' 9" Grosvenor driving wheels - for Grosvenor

6' 6" with crankpin remains to be completed.

Test etches are under construction for a diagram 54 Stroudley small Covered Carriage Truck, which should be available shortly.

The order book for build commissions is now full until early summer. Further work can be booked in advance. For prices, please e-mail Mke at . Examples of commissions already in hand include D1s in Stroudley & Marsh liveries, an E1 in Stroudley Goods livery and Tricompos in varnished mahogany.

http://www.mjwsjw.co.uk/

Best wishes

Eric

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have some stuff on order from ABM...essentially to see how they fit together and how they look as a completed model.

In 2mm I have ordered an SECR design wooden station building in LBSCR colours (a very close match for Fittleworth station building) and the Saxby & Farmer signal box - also LBSCR. These will form the basis for a small layout to test a number of products and techniques - I am also trying out the FiNetrax code 40 track.

For 4mm, I have ordered one of the Country House style stations, however this one has been mirrored for me - something he appears to be happy to do.

• Like 1

Etched Pixels/Ultima now do some N gauge LSWR coaches and vans, I've recently built the Fruit brake (diag 892, 48') and some 1892 6 wheel 30' full brakes.

They also have some 1901 block train 6 wheelers and others

http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/LSWR.html

They have LBSCR, SECR, IOW, and other SR items including  coach detailing bits.

The vans I built were fairly easy to do, the bodies come as a one piece etch folding up from the floor with a separate roof, some of the finer detail parts were a bit of a challenge, I did cheat a bit for the 6 wheelers I used the chassis from the NGS Stove R, for the Fruit brakes I shortened some Dapol siphon chassis (trawled Ebay for cheap ones, then ordered some "unpainted" ones from Dapol at £6 each, but due to some production problem they supplied me with fully finished items!)

Edited by Dorsetmike

Lytchett Manor Models are reintroducing GEM and Fleetline kits and stock a number of other items they also carry Farish spares and have a repair service for Farish. (They have recently moved in to the part of the old Farish Poole site)

They will be at TINGS this weekend Sep7/8, and will be releasing the GEM S&DJR 7F white metal kit (got mine preordered along with an SR Z class 0-8-0T)

http://www.lytchettmanor.co.uk/about_us.html

Edited by Dorsetmike

Dapol N gauge  Maunsell coaches

At TINGS I asked Joel on the Dapol stand if they had any details of the announced  Maunsell coaches, I received a reply today including some CAD/CAM images, from these I can say they are the early "Low window" stock and will consist of corridor 1st, 3rd and Compo, a 6 compartment brake which was not included in the drawings so don't know if it's the 3rd or the Compo, along with these is a Passenger brake - Van C, this looks very similar to their 4 wheel CCT/GUV i.e. a planked van. ETA late next year or early 2015. (Is this the same or similar line up to the Hornby ones, if so what 6 compartment are we likely to get?)

I also enquired about the possibilities of a King Arthur to pull them, he'd "love to do an Arthur, but the tooling budget won't run to it"

• RMweb Gold

Dapol N gauge  Maunsell coaches

At TINGS I asked Joel on the Dapol stand if they had any details of the announced  Maunsell coaches, I received a reply today including some CAD/CAM images, from these I can say they are the early "Low window" stock and will consist of corridor 1st, 3rd and Compo, a 6 compartment brake which was not included in the drawings so don't know if it's the 3rd or the Compo, along with these is a Passenger brake - Van C, this looks very similar to their 4 wheel CCT/GUV i.e. a planked van. ETA late next year or early 2015. (Is this the same or similar line up to the Hornby ones, if so what 6 compartment are we likely to get?)

With a total of 20 low-window 6-compt brake thirds, and 10 low-window brake compos, my money would be on the former, as they would complement the other vehicles you identify.

• RMweb Gold

Also for those interested in 2mm scale the first pictures of the first Engineering Prototype of the Arnold / Hornby 2mm 1:148 Scale Brighton Belle Unit can now be seen on my blog here

The discussion thread about this product can be found on this forum here

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following on from the announcement by Kernow models of the London South Western Railway (LSWR) Type 3 signal box based on Boscarne Junction  back in August, I am pleased to advise following a suggestion made, that they have today announced a further commission via Bachmann Scenecraft of the LSWR style Ground frame hut that was also located at the Boscarne Junction sidings.

The Ground Frame hut, reference 44-182Z will cost £14.99 once available (expected end of 2013) but can pre-ordered, with a £2 saving, at £12.99 from its dedicate page on the Kernow Model Centre website here.

post-243-0-63989200-1381705801_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-37976700-1381705802_thumb.jpg

Further information can be found on my blog here

• Like 1

4mm scale EBM Kits

Mike Waldron now has the CCT in production priced at £25 and the fret to convert Stroudley's 6 wheel full brake (Roxey) into the early Billinton one should also be available soon.

The D1 and E1 chassis kits for South East Finecast whitemetal body are available and priced at £30. The kit includes frame sides, guard irons, 00, EM and P4 spacers, coupling rods and brake gear. The new flexichas/CSB horncheeks can be added if required, but axleboxes are not supplied.

Mike is considering a fret of various flexichas aids - with CSB fittings as well - with things like ready made double beams, beam pivots with holes in that older inside the frames and avoid drilling the actual frames, adjustable strip beam holders - many parts with a metric scale on two edges to ease getting things measured and set up.

Mike Waldron,

42, Bramley Road,

Mitton, Tewkesbury,

Gloucs GL20 8AQ

e mail mike@mjwsjw.co.uk

Website http://www.mjwsjw.co.uk/

Roger Smith Models – 4mm scale

Roger Smith does LBSC tarpaulins at £3-90 per pack of six for 4mm scale (ref TARP 425) but also LBSC poster boards with posters at £2-80 (ref LINE 50).

The website is at http://www.rogersmithmodelrailways.com/index.htm

e mail info@rogersmithmodelrailways.com

Ian MacCormac Models – 4mm scale rolling stock

Ian MacCormac is working on a limited production batch of etchings of some of the less usual pieces of Brighton carriage stock from the Craven/Stroudley period. Photos of some examples are at

http://sdrv.ms/17UGRSw

Anyone interested should contact Ian at

ianmaccormac@hotmail.com

Finally, the long awaited etchings for a Craven standard goods loco built by Slaughter & Co in 1868, and in service until nearly the turn of the century (i.e. 1900), are promised as “almost ready”.

Best wishes

Eric

Having had my appetite whetted by the announcement of Southern building kits from ABM Railcraft I took the plunge and purchased Hever Station House and Grange Road signal box. I have just finished the house, and apart from one or two issues with the instructions,(shared with, and accepted by Mr. Mansfield) I can only describe the finished article as "exquisite" (not my modelling,the kit's quality!), cannot recommend too highly.

Having had my appetite whetted by the announcement of Southern building kits from ABM Railcraft I took the plunge and purchased Hever Station House and Grange Road signal box. I have just finished the house, and apart from one or two issues with the instructions,(shared with, and accepted by Mr. Mansfield) I can only describe the finished article as "exquisite" (not my modelling,the kit's quality!), cannot recommend too highly.

Would love to see ABM Railcraft do the reverse image for the North Cornwall stone station. (or does Kernow have a real surprise for us in the future?)

Meantime I am watching this line to see what they do next and if I can use it. I have to think of my proposed Penge East station model too.

And I need an ESPEE Class 18 Standard depot too.....for Walnut Creek...(Southern is part of the name)

Edited by autocoach

Would love to see ABM Railcraft do the reverse image for the North Cornwall stone station. (or does Kernow have a real surprise for us in the future?)

Everything I hear about ABM Railcraft suggests it might be worth asking, Ken!

Was thinking of getting one of these and building it inside out to get the reverse image. Think that should work but the printing would be on the inside, but would make a good shell for finishing off.

Ian's idea of contacting ABM might be worth a try in the first instance.

Ray.