Southern / BR(S) Product News

burgundy

• RMweb Premium

Would love to see ABM Railcraft do the reverse image for the North Cornwall stone station.

He quite happily did a reverse of the LBSCR 'Country House' kit for me. Only thing to be aware of...everything is reserved; including those instructions on the sheets - and not all are as simple as 'glue here'!

• Like 1

Would love to see ABM Railcraft do the reverse image for the North Cornwall stone station. (or does Kernow have a real surprise for us in the future?)

Meantime I am watching this line to see what they do next and if I can use it. I have to think of my proposed Penge East station model too.

And I need an ESPEE Class 18 Standard depot too.....for Walnut Creek...(Southern is part of the name)

Quoting myself...hmmm

Actually left a note on their website. Will wait a while to see if they respond before direct e-mail request for quote.  I keep hoping Kernow/Bachmann come to my rescue before the glue gets too old on my current paper version.  When demolition was threatened for the Padstow station building, I had hoped it might stir up more active preservation.

Hi Ken,

Phoned ABM Rail-craft today and a reversed LSWR station in stone should be on its way to me soon.

Thanks for taking the initiative

Sent off an e-mail just now requesting the reverse image (or correct image?) of the stone LSWR station. I have been meaning to replace my earlier effort that was slapped together out of cardboard, plastic sheet (plasticard in UK) and various bits. I used a Design Preservation store front for the doors to platform from the waiting room. I will also now need to rebuild the canopy to a better standard. Maybe even reduce the size of the wartime lockup to the right of the baggage door.  I think I built it a little too large as I had no measurements available. Grandt Line curved O scale (1:48) windows worked well but are a little undersize. I have also been saving a package of conically capped Grandt Line HO smoke stacks for the vents over the men's facilities that are very visible in 1940's-50's photos.

I will have to get back to finishing the station master's (probably his wife's) garden from a Busch allotment kit.

Now if ABM would do the signal box I can declare the Bude box (stairs in right location but built from brick and too tall) and the Wadebridge box which is too tall and has stairs on the wrong side surplus. I will also have to get on with the fish sheds, freight crane, long wharf tracks and so much other stuff.

And they do PayPal which is so much more convenient for those of us residing on distant shores. Phoning from the west coast of the US is a bother due to time zones etc. so I hope we can do this by e-mail.

Edited by autocoach

This arrived today.

post-11105-0-94479500-1383589773_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the image has been reversed (as have the printed instructions) so is now a good representation for Padstow.

Something to keep me busy now the nights are drawing in. I need to clear my workbench of other projects before making a start on this.

Ray.

• Like 1

Looking forward to my order for the same arriving in the very near future.  Having already built the Padstow station once, I am interested in how this will differ. I can see some differences around the mens lavatory in the photo from Padstow where the Padstow differed from other North Cornwall stations.  I was not expecting an exact Padstow match so am not disappointed.

I guess we will have to supply our own chimney pots. Easily done.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann LB&SCR E4

Has there been any news at all about the E4? I haven't seen any mention of it since the initial launch blurb. Has anyone any further info? It was down for release this year but I am presuming that may be unlikely now?

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ian

Bachmann only announced the E4 in March this year as part part of their usual practice of announcing models to be released over an 18 month period, So as far as I was aware it was never down for release this year, and is likely to be the end of next year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hornby have announced today their 2014 range which includes a brand new Drummond 700 0-6-0 and also 2-Hal EMU.

A round up of all the Southern / Southern Region content can be found on my blog at http://grahammuz.com/2013/12/16/Hornby-2014-announcement-from-an-srbrs-perspective-includes-drummond-700-class-and-2-hal-emu/

Compliments of the season to you all!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a quick update to advise of a few BR(s) related items now arriving at Stockists:

- the A and B versions of the Hornby R4534 ex Maunsell Pull-Push coach packs

- the R4536B Hornby Bogie Passenger Brake B Coach (Van B) number S217S in BR (SR) Green livery.

- the updated Class 33/0 from Heljan.

Further details can be read on my blog here

• 1 month later...

... and some more for the Brighton minded.

Furness Railway Wagon Company - Goods Vehicles 7mm scale
The Furness Railway Wagon Company has a range of pre-grouping goods vehicles which include three that are of Brighton interest. The 5 plank Open A is priced at £50 and consists of a brass chassis and resin top with brass and white metal fittings. The three plank is priced at £45 with a similar form of construction and the 7 plank is £50, has a resin top with brass and white metal fittings and builds the "side door only" version. A six plank wagon is a further possibility if sales of the initial releases are encouraging.
The existing range already includes a third class passenger coach to a Joseph Wright design that closely resembles some Craven period vehicles from the Brighton.  
e mail - furnessrailway@hotmail.com

Parliamentary Trains 7mm scale
For those interested in the very early period, Parliamentary Trains are producing a series of kits for LNWR locos and rolling stock. One of the forthcoming releases is a Bury loco which appears to be very similar to those supplied to the Brighton in the earliest days.  
e mail - stephen@parlytrains.co.uk

5 & 9 Models – 4mm rolling stock
Chris Cox has produced some new kits for the LCDR high round end and low round end open wagons and two P.O. Wagons, supplied with etched w irons at £11-00 a kit. The PO  vehicles are based on Rickett Smith and Lamont & Warne wagons but are generic and would suit other prototypes with a bit of imagination.
http://www.5and9models.co.uk/index.html

EBM Models – 4mm scale (and 3.5mm scale!)
New items include
- Victoria double-sided (and very uncomfortable-looking) platform seat, as in the left foreground of the photo of G single "Stephenson" (Haresnape p17) £6
- nickel silver ladders for EBM signals - including tall ones. These are in the form of a very long 'H' with three cross bars that act as spacers. You bend the sides up to form the ladder's uprights, and thread wire through the holes for the rungs which are soldered in place. The tops include the bent over arms that attach to the posts. £4 per ladder
- fret of nickel-silver coupling hooks £5
- "slimline multibox" - a cross between the Branchlines 2 stage slimline gearbox and their Multibox. This is small enough to fit in most of my kits. Branchlines supply the gears, or direct from Letchworth Gear Services at about £14. Just quote the Branchlines slimline box. Three ratios available. Fret £5
- if anyone knows of any rare beasts called HO Brighton modellers, Mike is currently scaling down the C class with outside frame tender for someone - so that will be available.
Please note that the rise in metal costs has finally hit home and prices will have to rise - the first general one ever.
the website will be updated in due course.
E mail - mike@mjwsjw.co.uk

Worsley Works – 4mm scale carriages
New push-pull stock that will be available from Worsley Works.
1921 Driving Trailer/Brake 3rd 8 compartment Diag 187
1921 Trailer Composite (4 x 1st, 5 x 3rd) Diag 119

(Together formed SR sets 981-4 later 714-7)
1906 Balloon trailer 60 seater Diag 180 – sides only, to be used as a conversion set for the Roxey Diag 181 kit.
In hand
1922 Drving Trailer/Brake 3rd 6 compartment Diag 188
1922 Trailer Composite (2x 1st, 7 x 3rd) Diag 120
(Together formed SR sets 985-990 later 718-723)
To follow
1912 Driving Trailer/Brake 3rd 8 compartmentDiag 183
(formed into sets in 1922 with the 1922 Trailer composites to form SR sets 991-4 later 724-7)
http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_Southern_Pregroup_LBSCR.htm

ABM Railcraft - 4mm scale buildings
For the Brighton, ABM Railcraft have introduced a pitched roof canopy in 4mm (P2117) to complement the station building kit. This features the usual pierced bracketry and profiled valancing. Work on the LBSCR goods shed was unfortunately delayed - as Al was somewhat overwhelmed by the demand for the LSWR kits and production to meet that demand had to take priority - but he hopes finally to introduce a goods shed based on Bramley and Wonersh during the summer.
ABM is also progressively reworking and reintroducing models in 2mm - where possible, windows will be transparent rather than printed and he is examining ways of making a suitably robust canopy for this scale.
Web site www.abmrailcraft.weebly.com

Etched Pixels – 2mm scale rolling stock
Alan now has available polished 3D printed body shells and compartments  with etched side
overlays, trusses and other detailing for the LBSCR Balloon Third (dia 185) and LBSCR Balloon Brake Third (dia 190).
It will be possible to turn out the 3D printed parts for all the other Balloon stock, so the range is likely to be extended over time.

Arc roof bogie stock is in preparation using the same system, probably for late this year.
sales@etchedpixels.co.uk

Best wishes

Eric

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some wagon body mouldings/kits for the LSWR devotee in 2mm, 4mm, 7mm and Gauge 1

I've recently discovered the delights of GRA Models and it's ever helpful proprietor, Graham Baker.  I have just placed an order for some resin wagon bodies with Graham and will come back with my thoughts once received.

Details as follows:

Graham Baker

18 Lower Tail
Carpenders Park
Watford
Hertfordshire
WD19 5DD

E-mail:alygra@btinternet.com

Tel: 07833 364274 (Monday – Friday 09:00-17:00 GMT only)

Web: www.gramodels.co.uk

2mm:

WN01 12/15 ton 8 plank open
WN02 12/15 ton 8 plank open
WN03 12/15 ton 8 plank sheeted
WN04 12/15 ton 8 plank sheeted
WN05 Ventilated Meat Van
WN06 Insulated Goods Van
WN07 As 03 open with sheet rail
WN08 As 04 open with sheet rail
WN09 As 01 Steel end posts
WN10 As 02 Steel end posts
WN11 Rectank
WN12 Cattle truck
WN13 War Flat
WN14 RUDD
WN15 Ventilated Butter Van
WN16 Machinery Well Wagon
WN17 Ramp wagon

4mm:

00401 War Flat
00401a Buffer beam (With jack)
00401b As 401a no jacks
00401c As 401a no jacks type 2
00401d Buffers (None working)
00402 LSWR Lowmac
00403 LSWR 8 plank open (4 types)
00404 LSWR As 403 (Sheeted )
00405 LSWR Sleeper wagon
00406 LSWR 1 plank open
00407 LSWR 1 plank open (steel)
00408 LSWR 3 plank open
00409 LSWR 3 plank open (steel)
00410 Rectank
00411 Ramp wagon
00412 Diamond frame bogies
00413 Plate bogies
00414 Covered Goods Sr. Dia.1410

00415 As above open one side
00416 Gunpowder van Sr. Dia. 1701

7mm:

0701 War flat. 1919
0701a Buffer beams (Jacked)
0701b As 701a no jacks
0701c As 701a no jacks type
07mm02 Rectank
07mm03 Ramp wagon
07mm04 Diamond Frame Bogies

Gauge 1:

3201 LSWR 5 plank open
3202 Rectank
3203 War flat
3204 Diamond frame bogies

The catalogue (including a vast array of military vehicles in many scales) is available via a link on the GRA Models website.  Please be aware that due to an increase in the cost of raw materials Graham has had to increase the price, so those quoted will no longer be correct.

I have no connection with this business other than being a customer (so usual disclaimers apply!) and will report back once I have the mouldings.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry for the delay... long story short, new camera was required.

Again, sorry about the quality of the following images, once I get to grips with the new camera (and Photoshop CC) I'll repost them.

The mouldings are exactly as they arrived from Graham, so will need cleaning up, I've left them in their natural state so you can see what you get.  They all compare extremely well (if not exactly) to the published drawings from An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons Vol. 1.

I will need to compile a shopping list and once I have all the bits, I intend to show the build in the Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding part of the forum (don't hold your breath!).

Dia 1410 Covered Goods

post-1328-0-97837000-1407060690.jpg

post-1328-0-94710200-1407060709.jpg

Dia 1301 3 Plank - Steel Underframe

post-1328-0-17361100-1407060823.jpg

Dia 1673 Lowmac

post-1328-0-69737400-1407060872_thumb.jpg

Dia 1785 Sleeper Wagon

post-1328-0-47996700-1407060929_thumb.jpg

post-1328-0-24383700-1407061018_thumb.jpg

You will probabaly see what look like holes right through the castings in places.  These are just air bubbles trapped in the resin and should disappear with painting.  As I said above, hopefully I'll be able to post better images in due course.

All the best

Tim

Edited by Tim Dubya

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hornby announce their full 2015 range plans at midday tomorrow (17/12) and whilst there will be a full post by Andy on here at time, I will also be posting a comprehensive round up, with some exclusive information, of the SR and BR(S) related products at the same time on my blog at http://www.grahammuz.com

• RMweb Premium

Graham, have you mentioned that Slaters have now added a 6 compartment brake third kit to their 7mm range? 

The kit ref is 7C027E (with etched brass bogies) or 7C027P (with plastic bogies). 

This kit now makes it possible to easily produce the common 2 Set-P (BCK BTK) formation - a boost for West of England modellers! 

• RMweb Gold

Hornby announce their full 2015 range plans at midday tomorrow (17/12) and whilst there will be a full post by Andy on here at time, I will also be posting a comprehensive round up, with some exclusive information, of the SR and BR(S) related products at the same time on my blog at http://www.grahammuz.com

My post is now live and the direct link is http://grahammuz.com/2014/12/17/Hornby-2015-range-announcement-from-an-srbrs-perspective-sees-an-s15-and-adams-radial/

• RMweb Gold

Graham, have you mentioned that Slaters have now added a 6 compartment brake third kit to their 7mm range? 

The kit ref is 7C027E (with etched brass bogies) or 7C027P (with plastic bogies). 

This kit now makes it possible to easily produce the common 2 Set-P (BCK BTK) formation - a boost for West of England modellers! 

Hi Chris

Thanks I had not picked up on that before which is good news as I don't think it was possible to make a totally authentic set from their previous releases?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
Please see my post with pictures here  http://grahammuz.com/2015/02/15/Bachmann-ex-lbsc-e4-0-6-2t-on-the-way/  with respect to the very imminent arrival of the Bachmann E4 Tank locomotive.

This release is also being discussed here on RMweb on this thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81251-Bachmann-e4/

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

00 Works have announced their intention to produce a Ready to Run ex LBSC Marsh I3 class locomotive.

The discussion thread here on RMweb is here.

Further details can be found on my own blog here and the 00 Works website here

A quick review and pictures can be read here http://grahammuz.com/2015/02/24/first-ex-lbsc-march-i3-4-4-2ts-arrive-from-00-works/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A summary of today's Bachmann and Graham Farish 2015/16 announcements from a Southern perspective can be read here http://grahammuz.com/2015/03/02/bachamn-201516-range-announcements-include-class-450-emu-and-45t-ransomes-and-rapier-steam-crane/

Edited by Graham_Muz