1980s kids books about Model Railways

pete_mcfarlane

The recent thread on old Hornby catalogues got me thinking about some of the books on railway modelling I read as a kid. In particular the ones aimed directly at us 1980s kids.

I owned an Usborn book - one of their large format paper backs. The page that stood out was a beautifully illustrated guide on how to model water - with various options including plaster and glass.

Other books I remember from the local library included one with a picture of John Craven on the front (he of Newsround fame) and another Usborn book on how to interface your model railway or Scalectrix with the home computer (be it a Commodore 64 or a BBC Electron!) complete with BASIC source code to type in.

Did anyone else come back from the library in the summer holidays with railway modelling books?

• RMweb Gold

Yes!

cant remember what it was called but it sowed seeds that have lasted. Was sort of an overview of all different scales and era's, UK, Europe and US, IIRC. Had a layout called North Tawton that kickstarted my GW interest. Lot of colour for the time, or is that just my rosetinted glasses?

Matt

Sorry for going OT, but I do remember seeing "High Gill" on the BBC programme "Corners" in May 1987, as I was home early from school after having a dental brace fitted. I never did get to see the layout, but ended up building alot of stock for it's sucessor. Still on the OHLE theme, I remember Johnny Ball giving a Lima 87's pan a good workout on one of his programmes.

I owned an Usborn book - one of their large format paper backs. The page that stood out was a beautifully illustrated guide on how to model water - with various options including plaster and glass.

I have that one too :) My mum recently handed it over and now my kids have lost it :-\ But I did have a look through it again before it disappeared.

I also had a fantastic hardcover book my brother brought home for me which was a general overview of the hobby. It had chapters for each of the major scales, including S scale and up to miniature railways. It featured photos of many famous layouts of the time, both UK and US. It also had lots of pictures of individual models and stuff like Arthur Sherwood's tiny live steam models. I spent an awful lot of time looking through that book and wishing I could scatchbuild track and locos like I saw in the S scale and O scale chapters. The kids have lost this book too, which I'm pretty annoyed about.

I also used to read the Lima catalogue quite a lot, looking at their example layouts.

Regards,

David.

It wasn't really a 'kids' book, but Chris Ellis's "Practical Model Railways" was a book I always enjoyed reading back then. It had a Lima Western on the cover IIRC. A lot of it was taken from the original Airfix "Model Trains" magazine articles, which Chris edited of course, and still edits it's successor, Model Trains International, to this day. ;)

Archived