Brakes on DCC throtles

It is acknowledged that DCC has brought more "realism" to loco control with the ability to; start the engine, switch the lights on etc.... However, one of the functions that we appear to have lost is that of "braking". Some "Analog" controllers have the one of building up speed, throttling back and then applying the brakes progressively by applying and releasing the "brakes". Why don't we have it in DCC?

• RMweb Premium

It is acknowledged that DCC has brought more "realism" to loco control with the ability to; start the engine, switch the lights on etc.... However, one of the functions that we appear to have lost is that of "braking". Some "Analog" controllers have the one of building up speed, throttling back and then applying the brakes progressively by applying and releasing the "brakes". Why don't we have it in DCC?

Isn't that part of the acceleration/ deceleration settings?

You can set the loco to accelerate/decelerate at a realistic rate even if you bang your throttle up to max then back to zero.

Progressively reducing the speed a step at a time, then pausing before the next reduction will surely have the desired effect?

Keith

Isn't that part of the acceleration/ deceleration settings?

You can set the loco to accelerate/decelerate at a realistic rate even if you bang your throttle up to max then back to zero.

Progressively reducing the speed a step at a time, then pausing before the next reduction will surely have the desired effect?

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes that certainly sets the "character" of the loco and determines the maximum acceleration and normal slowing rate but that would only allow you to set a very long coast to a halt rate or slow braking rate. However if you wish to apply the brakes prototypically you would want to apply and release the brakes in order to come to a stand say at a platform or buffers. That would mean judging the stopping point from a long way off and always coasting to a halt at the same rate.

Morning

My Lenz system has a brake. I use alot of Lenz silvers with the 90 system. Once set up I have a long decelreation rate along with a good acceleration rate. Once coming to a stand though I can apply F3 which applys braking effect to the train. I don't know if any others do it though.

Mark

Yeah ZTC made this their big feature on the 511 controller.

Personally I found it annoying when trying it though and prefer to just use the deceleration delay on the chip and leave that sort of 'realistic' control to computer simulators.

Hi Craigwelsh

If that the way you like it fine. My point is that it should be the choice of the user but the function should be there.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I agree having a separate cv with a small, (and therefore higher), deceleration value than that set in cv4 would be a big advantage on the ESU chips. They support the Lenz brake system but only on the normal cv 4 value.

This would allow you to stop precisely, while having a big cv4 to get coasting sounds, without having to crawl in. Stops overshoots and crashing in to buffers while allowing more purposeful approaches to a stopping point. The tsunami chips allow you to have a loco cruise in with nice clanking of rods and still be stopped precisely. Try the same on an ESU chip and you either crawl in then have to put on the power again, many real drivers would frown on that, or overshoot the water tower or overlap of points.

• RMweb Gold

The Soundtrax Tsunami has brakes that is controllable from the throttle. I use it all the time, it isn't only more realistic to use but also makes the sound more real.

Yep, F11.

QSI Revolutions do the same, and lenz silvers and golds .

I think its a great option to have.

Yep, F11.

Its re-mappable to any function key.

QSI Revolutions do the same, and lenz silvers and golds .

I think its a great option to have.

Didn't know about the Lenz chips (off to read manuals to find how its done), but I agree that as implemented on Tsunami's its a superb feature.

- Nigel

The Soundtrax Tsunami has brakes that is controllable from the throttle. I use it all the time, it isn't only more realistic to use but also makes the sound more real.

Are you sure that it slows the loco. I have searched the Tsunami literature thoroughly and failed to find anywhere this feature is described. In addition I have checked this out on a Tsumami and only the sound changes. If this feature exists I would expect to see a CV associated with it that could be changed to vary the braking rate.

I would be grateful if you could point me at something in the manuals I may have missed to switch mine on.

Cheers

Godders

.... one of the functions that we appear to have lost is that of "braking". Some "Analog" controllers have the one of building up speed, throttling back and then applying the brakes progressively by applying and releasing the "brakes". Why don't we have it in DCC?

The way I use Lenz silver and gold decoders is to set up the constant braking distance feature for a short and easily judged distance. Once set up this feature is activated from any speed step by setting speed to 0, the loco stops in the same pre-set distance, (unless it is moving sufficiently fast and the distance set is so short that momentum of the train as a whole carries the loco skidding past the stop point). For normal braking the value in CV4 acts when speed is chopped from line speed to the coast-in speed to the planned stop. So from line speed (say step 80), one sets the coast-in speed (let's say to step 12) and a fairly light brake application is simulated using the set value in CV4, and after the 'braking' the loco coasts at speed step 12 until it reaches a marker point, speed is then set at 0, and the constant braking distance applies a smooth deceleration to stop in the pre-set distance. The final braking rate applied will vary depending on how fast a coast in speed is used. In practice this looks rather good, and does avoid the train finishing up out of position when stopped, not that this never happened on the real railway...

But not quite what Godders was looking for, as the user applicable braking is always the constant value in CV4, (unless deceleration rate is disengaged with F4 and the speed steps are brought down manually).

post-6867-0-36411700-1312728367_thumb.png

Are you sure that it slows the loco. I have searched the Tsunami literature thoroughly and failed to find anywhere this feature is described. In addition I have checked this out on a Tsumami and only the sound changes. If this feature exists I would expect to see a CV associated with it that could be changed to vary the braking rate.

I would be grateful if you could point me at something in the manuals I may have missed to switch mine on.

Cheers

Godders

Following from M Graff's posting.

Properly setup Tsunami's with dynamic brakes are a delight to drive - I've just had a happy afternoon driving Camp-93 ( a US logging line in On3) which has all the steam locos equipped with these decoders.

You shut the throttle off and the steam chuff drops to just rod-clank as the loco coasts with extremely gentle decelleration (just like a real one which would cost with the regulator shut), then you apply the brake button and the loco slows more quickly and any brake noise effects or squeals come on. Release the brake key and the loco coasts some more, etc.. You can also apply the brakes with the throttle open and the loco will come to a stop, but with rather more steam noise.

To use it requires some CV's to be setup, as per the posting above.

(F11 is the default dynamic brake which works well on Digitrax DT400's/402's which have direct Fn keys up to F12, but its re-mappable to other Fn keys to suit other throttle keypads).

- Nigel

Following from M Graff's posting.

Properly setup Tsunami's with dynamic brakes are a delight to drive - I've just had a happy afternoon driving Camp-93 ( a US logging line in On3) which has all the steam locos equipped with these decoders.

You shut the throttle off and the steam chuff drops to just rod-clank as the loco coasts with extremely gentle decelleration (just like a real one which would cost with the regulator shut), then you apply the brake button and the loco slows more quickly and any brake noise effects or squeals come on. Release the brake key and the loco coasts some more, etc.. You can also apply the brakes with the throttle open and the loco will come to a stop, but with rather more steam noise.

To use it requires some CV's to be setup, as per the posting above.

(F11 is the default dynamic brake which works well on Digitrax DT400's/402's which have direct Fn keys up to F12, but its re-mappable to other Fn keys to suit other throttle keypads).

- Nigel

Thank you as well I will be setting CVs and using Digitrax 402 to control.

Godders

Archived