Leicester class 27's

Bit confused here Nick - if those are coach numbers (SK/TSO/SK), there's no brake...:unsure:

Guards log as recorded has 26958 BSK/ 4379 CK / 26876 BSK plenty brake space according the guard. Same set quoted several times with same numbering and quoted BSK/CK/BSK

27013 is also quoted as a BSK in another rake with class 25 haulage a few days earlier

NR

Guards log as recorded has 26958 BSK/ 4379 CK / 26876 BSK plenty brake space according the guard. Same set quoted several times with same numbering and quoted BSK/CK/BSK

27013 is also quoted as a BSK in another rake with class 25 haulage a few days earlier

Ah, the penny's dropped :sorry_mini: I was foolishly assuming Mk1 numbering, those will probably be Staniers. Thanks Nick.

Further to Brian and Grahame's posts, although it only just counts as 'Birmingham - Oxford', the RO does record pairs being used on Burton to Banbury freights

Not a lot of help to Mike but

A pic of 5386 at Kings Norton October 1963 'with a local (passenger) to Gloucester (2G71)

'Diesels in Action' G. Weeekes -Bradford Barton 1974

Possibly most notably, they worked into Scotland over the S&C and were used on Waverley crew training trips and also (IIRC) on Glasgow Gourock services, which would probably be the farthest North an 'English' 27 worked. As ever, there has been at least one previous thread on this.

I'm not saying they didn't work Glasgow-Gourock, Ian, but I don't remember seeing any there. But it was a long time ago, and I wasn't too interested in diesels. What I remember did work on those services were Midland Division class 25s and class 45s. Those types started turning up on the 5.20 PM express, which I was travelling on at that time, for a short while before the Blue Trains were introduced to Gourock in 1967. I suppose if Leicester class 27s were making it to Glasgow, Polmadie could have used those as well.

I'm not saying they didn't work Glasgow-Gourock, Ian, but I don't remember seeing any there. ...What I remember did work on those services were Midland Division class 25s and class 45s. ... I suppose if Leicester class 27s were making it to Glasgow, Polmadie could have used those as well.

Yeah, I'd have to specifically the ROs concerned, which is why I said 'IIRC', but that was my logic as well, that the 25s and 27s probably worked turn and turn about on those diagrams. There is certainly a pic of an LMR 27 on freight on the GSW in 'Diesel Days: Scotland', which shows they didnt always stop short at Carlisle

I can recall at least three occasions when a BRCW type 2 (as they were then) made it to Oxford on the Washwood Heath-Hinksey Yard afternoon freight. Looking back through my books I can identify them as D5383,D5393 and D5405. I remember intending to photograph D5383 as it stood in the centre road returning light engine but I'm afraid D5858 coming in on a York-Bournemouth relief took precendent as it was my last shot on the film. Anyway back to the topic! I have quite a few images of these locos at Leicester durig the 1969 period when the Thornaby allocation (D5370-78) had been transferred south. The thornaby ones were quite filthy and were noticable with their lack of boiler tanks. The images were on my Brush Veteran gallery originally but inadvertently got wiped off.

I will repost them if you wish but am away at present.

Yes please Grahame !!!!

I love English class 27s / GECs !!!!

Focusing on the original title and after studying the linked websites it struck myself and Mikeh that the area is very easily modellable courtesy of Bachmann's recent Scalecraft GC based railway buildings and Cravens DMUs. Chuck in some 16 tonners and a couple Heljan BRCWs and you have the basis of '60s rundown railway which was formerly something special. Because all the infrastructure was steam age, then mixed steam and diesel operation is no problem.

I have a photo of a pair of green 27s heading north through Duffield in August 1968 on a fully fitted van train. I will try to look it out to see the headcode so that someone may be able to tell us where it was going.

It was 6 or 7E50 and I think the date was Saturday 24th August 1968 if anyone can tell us what the train was.

As promised, here are some BRCW Type 2's at Leicester, with some at Burton-on-Trent, Derby, Cricklewood and St.Pancras 'thrown' in for variety. Enjoy!!

wonderful phots there, thank you Grahame..instant memories! May have been a Leicester loco by then but a Bedford or Cricklewood crew with one of the last recorded 27's to work the Luton-Dunstable branch with 5385 on 13th july 1969, the line now rapidly becoming a vile busway...!

Nick R

www.leightonlogs.org

wonderful phots there, thank you Grahame..instant memories! May have been a Leicester loco by then but a Bedford or Cricklewood crew with one of the last recorded 27's to work the Luton-Dunstable branch with 5385 on 13th july 1969, the line now rapidly becoming a vile busway...!

Nick R

www.leightonlogs.org

By that time I think nearly all of the LM examples, including 5385, were nominally allocated to Toton.

They allocated to Leicester to work the trip workings from Leicester, transfer freights to Toton, Wellingborough, Peterborough and maybe March (I seem to remember one of the Peak books having a pic of a 45 in company with 27s at March), as well as west on the Burton and Nuneaton lines. I've never seen a pic but they could have worked on passenger trains to Birmingham, Norwich and even more likely perhaps, in pairs on MML trains to London or northwards.

Being largely spare at weekends, they would have been prime candidates for summer dated trains so Skegness, Cleethorpes, Scarborough, Blackpool, Llandudno, Gt Yarmouth and perhaps Hunstanton could have seen them.

How far were you thinking of sending one?

Under normal circumstances, the Birmingham RCW Type 2's used to work into Whitemoor on Leicester 'turn round' jobs only, as March men weren't trained on them. On Tuesday 23 April 1969, D5408 passed Whitemoor Junction at 0709 with 7E54 0400 ex Humberstone Road and returned at 0845 with 7M77 Whitemoor - Leicester and that was the only visit of a member of the class that day.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Just to prove they worked to Gloucester at 4.15 you will see D5401 heading through Abbotswood

http://www.youtube.com/user/d803albion#p/a/u/1/3PnbyXJzAwA

Hee hee!

Did see 5378 and 5400 in the Worcester area myself but were not common

As to D5382 at Worcester - sed that MIAC shot as an excuse to add it to the stud - Thanks Phil!

Cheers

Phil Bullock

It was 6 or 7E50 and I think the date was Saturday 24th August 1968 if anyone can tell us what the train was.

Sorry Bruce, I have the WTT but can't see a 6 or 7E50 through Duffield. Any idea of the time of day?

And any chance of scanning the pic?

Regards

Mike

Further to Brian and Grahame's posts, although it only just counts as 'Birmingham - Oxford', the RO does record pairs being used on Burton to Banbury freights

They were quite common on Burton-Banbury's along with pairs of Derby Type 2s and single Peaks. These routed via the Ashby & Nuneaton, thence Coventry & Leamington. The pair in Graham's pic with 8H05 up would be to work one of those.

Saltley had a few jobs on them, mainly to Leicester but they worked the Lawley St-Somers Town through to Wellingborough. working back to Lawley St. One covered the Sutton Park parcels as a fill in turn circa 1966 for a time I am told. No.2 freight link signed them so could take one any where they went in practice.

Regards

Mike

Sorry Bruce, I have the WTT but can't see a 6 or 7E50 through Duffield. Any idea of the time of day?

And any chance of scanning the pic?

Here is said pic:

post-7238-0-63257500-1313514416.jpg

I couldn't tell you the exact time but it followed 1S67 on the Down line. The next photo was 1O42 10:08 York to Poole on the Up.

Here is said pic:

post-7238-0-63257500-1313514416.jpg

I couldn't tell you the exact time but it followed 1S67 on the Down line. The next photo was 1O42 10:08 York to Poole on the Up.

IFor some reason I can't see the pic - is it me?

1S67 was 0920 St.Pancras-Glasgow Central booked 1203 Ambergate Sth Jn

1O42 I have as 1008 York-Poole booked Ambergate Sth Jnc 1207

Struggling to find a freight candidate for.7E50. There was a 7E15 MO 1015 Derby St Marys-Tinsley due ASJ 1059 or 7E70 0455 ADJ-Normanby Park at Duffield1244 - that would be booked a Brush 4.

I suppose it could have been added in a supplement I dont' have.

Would be interested to know what loco was on 1O42 - a Brush 4?

Regards

Mike

IFor some reason I can't see the pic - is it me?

1S67 was 0920 St.Pancras-Glasgow Central booked 1203 Ambergate Sth Jn

1O42 I have as 1008 York-Poole booked Ambergate Sth Jnc 1207

Struggling to find a freight candidate for.7E50. There was a 7E15 MO 1015 Derby St Marys-Tinsley due ASJ 1059 or 7E70 0455 ADJ-Normanby Park at Duffield1244 - that would be booked a Brush 4.

I suppose it could have been added in a supplement I dont' have.

Would be interested to know what loco was on 1O42 - a Brush 4?

Regards

Mike

No Mike. It's not you. I managed to do a double post but when I deleted one it took out the other photo. Whether it was the site or my connection to it I know not.

Here's another go

post-7238-0-38850900-1313686125.jpg

1O42 was hauled by D1730.

Thanks for sharing the photo "poor old Bruce".

It is a cracker, especially if you zoom in. At first glance you think "hang on, that second engine is a blue un", but checking photos of 5379, it appears to have been green with full yellow ends at this time.

Also observe that the leading engine seems particularly clean relative to other members of the class at this time. It seems that the classy BRCW livery of off white cab window surrounds and stripes quickly became grimy in service.

Thanks also to Grahame for reposting your Midland "GEC" pictures.

No Mike. It's not you. I managed to do a double post but when I deleted one it took out the other photo. Whether it was the site or my connection to it I know not.

Here's another go

1O42 was hauled by D1730.

Thanks Bruce

Sorry I couldn't ID the train - I've looked in the contempory ER one north of Horns Bridge and no E50 in there either

Regards

Mike

• 5 months later...

Archived