Leicester class 27's

• RMweb Premium

ahh but the Heljan one doesnt have the doors on the front

Hi Michael

Looking back through this thread some of the LMR Birmingham Bo-Bo’s had their doors sealed before passing beyond the safety Hadrian's Wall. I am sure a man with your skills could score the doors on to the Heljan model. At times I find it easier to see if the loco has the door opening retaining clips on the front than looking for the door outline. If the clips are fitted it has doors. These can be represented by two thin bits of wire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

nice shot, caption says either Kentish town or Cricklewood?

8408129603_b674d77c21_b.jpg

CLASS 24/27 by Spallumcheen, on Flickr

Looks like both photos are taken in more or less the same place, in which case the first should also be Kentish Town.

Getting back to the geographical extent of these LMR class 27's I have a both a record and a clear memory of D5401 at Cheadle Heath piloting/assisting a Peak on a St Pancras to Manchester Central express on 10th August 1962.

It is tantalising to think that they may have run in multiple with corridors extended. There were a small handful of 45s which had working nose end doors for a short while.

How odd would that seem to us now ?

• 2 weeks later...

It is tantalising to think that they may have run in multiple with corridors extended. There were a small handful of 45s which had working nose end doors for a short while.

How odd would that seem to us now ?

I'd like to see the ScotRail 380s' gangways deployed, they have to be nearly as bizarre!

D11-15 had working doors, but I feel certain that I read somewhere that only a couple of these had all the gubbins fitted behind them.  Obviously the decision to stop installing the doors had been made pretty early on, as D16 onwards had a plain front with boxes, so it wouldn't surprise me if maybe only 11 and 12 had the full equipment installed.

• 2 months later...

Getting back to the geographical extent of these LMR class 27's I have a both a record and a clear memory of D5401 at Cheadle Heath piloting/assisting a Peak on a St Pancras to Manchester Central express on 10th August 1962.

When I used to travel regularly from March to and from the Midlands in the 1965 - 1970 period, the 27s were very common. The train of presflos which I used to seem to pass on every journey I now know was the Castle Bromwich - Ketton cement train. I think on Sundays it was recessed in Peterborough Westwood Yard with the loco facing back westwards to reach Ketton early on Monday. They were also common on the Hams Hall to Daw Mill coal trains, one of which was the subject of my first (abortive) attempt at railway photography !

Leicester MPD was guaranteed a good crop of 27s with the inevitable 25s. They would also occasionally be used on the Yarmouth - Birmingham and return working  to and from  Leicester between 1966 and their departure to Scotland. A couple made it into two tone green I think, certainly D5380 while  D5389 was definitely blue while in the Midlands and probably others too. They were all usually coated in grime. Only last week while reading an old copy of the Railway Observer I learned that a 27 made it to Norwich on a freight from Whitemoor on two consecutive days shortly before they went to Scotland. I will seeif I can relocate the item.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

They were still about in 1968. See post #46 for my shot of two going through Duffield in August '68.

From http://www.derbysulzers.com/70.html

March 1970 saw the transfer of the final Class 27’s, 5377/88, from the LMR to the ScR. Over the previous months there had been a slow movement north of all the remaining Class 27’s in exchange for Class 20’s

Phil

• 1 month later...

I have a train register for Whitemoor Junction box during 6 weeks in Jan/Feb 1968. Fortunately, it includes most loco numbers. It shows that class 27s were occasional visitors but not frequent by any means.

There were only 2 recorded in the 6 weeks - D5412 on Feb 21st and D5396 on Feb 28th.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has this one at Temple Mills been seen before?

Nice traffic!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowfit/h1af40176#h1af40176

Thanks Paul for excellent photos - found this one whilst trawling through Lowfit pictures trying to decide which CCTrans numbers to apply to renumber my latest batch of Lowfits to be loaded with more military vehicles - but we had better not start on the mess of pottage around which Lowfit that particular model represents.

Phil

Nice picture Phil but it isn't Temple Mills. This picture was taken from the main control tower looking towards the smaller shunters cabin on top of the hump and not a large control tower like in Paul's picture.

I think it might be Ripple Lane; though I can't find a view with all the railway buildings extant, there is a shot on P35 of 'The Illustrated History of British Marshalling Yards' by Michael Rhodes that shows one of the buildings along with the 'Scotch Derrick' in the  right background. This would fit with the trainload of tractors as well, as these would be Fordsons, manufactured until 1964 at Dagenham, when production moved to a new plant at Basildon. 

• 10 months later...

From http://www.derbysulzers.com/70.html

March 1970 saw the transfer of the final Class 27’s, 5377/88, from the LMR to the ScR. Over the previous months there had been a slow movement north of all the remaining Class 27’s in exchange for Class 20’s

Phil

That must be about the time, that i saw 14 type 1`s (class 20`s)

on Holbeck shed, over a weekend.

Lots of blue & green, between them.

Archived