Bailey Gate Creamery Siding

• RMweb Premium

I will try to finish off the signal box this month. I have got most of the front elevation finished and just needed to do the stairs. Then the other elevations are more straightforward.

I have not yet looked at though the shelter and brick building on the Up platform or the road bridge.

Glad you liked the photos of the different angles of the station.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I used to have some pictures of Bailey Gate on my Fotopic photostream until that firm went bust. Prompted by the interest from this group I have resurrected them using Flickr on http://www.flickr.com/photos/tingleytim/sets/72157627483363749 and will eventually restore other S&D shots. Dec 64 S&D pictures already viewable from that link.

Tim.

• Like 2

• 8 years later...
On 08/09/2011 at 16:20, tingleytim said:

I used to have some pictures of Bailey Gate on my Fotopic photostream until that firm went bust. Prompted by the interest from this group I have resurrected them using Flickr on http://www.flickr.com/photos/tingleytim/sets/72157627483363749 and will eventually restore other S&D shots. Dec 64 S&D pictures already viewable from that link.

Tim.

Just had a look but the link seems to be broken. Are these images still available anywhere please?

P.S. Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

Just had a look but the link seems to be broken. Are these images still available anywhere please?

P.S. Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.

Try again, I've been looking at my Flickr settings.

I am actually looking for some nice clear shots of the dairy facilities on the S&D for a project I am researching. Bailey Gate, Bason Bridge, Wincanton and Sturminster Newton. There are a few decent published shots but relatively little online.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I am actually looking for some nice clear shots of the dairy facilities on the S&D for a project I am researching. Bailey Gate, Bason Bridge, Wincanton and Sturminster Newton. There are a few decent published shots but relatively little online.

Will have a look when i get home in a few days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Geoffers, thanks for the photo of Bailey Gate creamery. I don't think that I have ever seen the building from this side before.

The structure on the right hand side looks very much like a "Stranraer" type coal stage that has found its way to the S&D. Is it really a coaling stage, presumably holding coal for use in the boilers or is it a simple tank, holding milk for the creamery's use?

Thanks again

Jim

Bill Coomer wrote a book "Bailey Gate - the Milk Factory 1888-1978", self published in 2000 (ISBN 0 9525327 2 7) with plenty of history and photos, though the photo reproduction is not particularly good which is just as well as I am in the photo of the 1963-64 children's party. My father, who worked there until 1978, is also pictured. There are some plans in the book as well.

I do not know the correct name of the edifice you mention directly behind the loading gauge and to our right of the chimney as we look at it but it was absent from the 1953 plan but labelled "coal store" in the 1970 plan. So I think you are correct in thinking it is coal for the boiler room. Sadly there are no photos of this particular edifice in the book. Incidentally there is also a mention of shunting wagons in the station yard in the 1930s by an employee of the dairy by using a pinch bar. There was a query on this a while back. on this site. The boilers were originally hand-fired ...."hopper feeding was soon introduced and the first moving grate boilder (sic) was installed in 1933...."  In 1953 a similar "boilder" was installed. This implies the coal store was installed by 1933.  In April 1965 the Factory converted to oil burning ...."the oil was brought in by road, usually in the evening in a very large Esso tanker from Fawley....".  

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1