Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

That would be this company, depending on the quality of the motor, it's not a bad price if they run faultlessly http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Heljan/Heljan-beyer-garratts/

On the subject of the motor Olivia's tell me that the new motors were supplied by Heljan & that they haven't had any problems with them so far.

I know this is a bit off topic but still related to the Garratt but has anyone heard what Olivia's sound chip for the Garratt is like ? 

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of the motor Olivia's tell me that the new motors were supplied by Heljan & that they haven't had any problems with them so far.

I know this is a bit off topic but still related to the Garratt but has anyone heard what Olivia's sound chip for the Garratt is like ?

Thank you for that information..but we don't know if they are different or just more of the same.Transparency would be welcome.

I suppose the way forward for any modeller genuinely still interested would be a visit to Olivia's in person and a meaningful discussion.

Thank you for that information..but we don't know if they are different or just more of the same.Transparency would be welcome.

I suppose the way forward for any modeller genuinely still interested would be a visit to Olivia's in person and a meaningful discussion.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure but unfortunately its not possible to visit Olivia's for some of us so we have to depend on opinions & advise from others.

This is where a forum like this is so valuable to some of us  :good:

• RMweb Gold

Nothing would give me greater pleasure but unfortunately its not possible to visit Olivia's for some of us so we have to depend on opinions & advise from others.

This is where a forum like this is so valuable to some of us  :good:

Appreciate that.I should have taken due note of your location.Sorry.Much easier for me though I've not yet visited..

Maybe I'll find an excuse.

I have two Garratt's fitted with Olivia's sound and they are the only two that work out of the twelve examples that I have, to be honest I'm pleased with the sound, I'm going to contact Olivia's next week to ask if they would kindly re motor my fleet for me, I would recommend the Olivia's sound for the Garratt, I believe a search on YouTube may result in an example of an Olivia's sounded Garratt at work.

I have two Garratt's fitted with Olivia's sound and they are the only two that work out of the twelve examples that I have, to be honest I'm pleased with the sound, I'm going to contact Olivia's next week to ask if they would kindly re motor my fleet for me, I would recommend the Olivia's sound for the Garratt, I believe a search on YouTube may result in an example of an Olivia's sounded Garratt at work.

Thank Brian.

I did a search & managed to find a video.

Cheers.

funny you should mention this....I need to purchase a class 14 to complete my quest to have one of every type that went through Water Orton during my modelled period late 1950 to 75. I've just investigated purchasing a Heljan one ....to find the previously mentioned company offering remotored ones....I take it a similiar problem to the Garratts?....the irony for me if modelled correctly the 14s in real life were being hauled as part of freight trains to their new owners in the north east. An unmotored one would be appropriate....but I do like things to run ...

They actually were worked as complete short trains hauled by locos.  There is a hurried pic of a Peak at Derby hauling some of them up to Hull through Derby station.

Tony

funny you should mention this....I need to purchase a class 14 to complete my quest to have one of every type that went through Water Orton during my modelled period late 1950 to 75. I've just investigated purchasing a Heljan one ....to find the previously mentioned company offering remotored ones....I take it a similiar problem to the Garratts?....the irony for me if modelled correctly the 14s in real life were being hauled as part of freight trains to their new owners in the north east. An unmotored one would be appropriate....but I do like things to run ...

I think it was actually class 17s that had motor burn outs in the first run. I have not seen stories for Heljan/Hattons Teddy bears...

Is this another urban myth/distortion of facts?

I believe the 17 was the problem child, not the 14. Though motors were burnt out, I understand the problem was actually tight gearboxes?

Just trying to put the record straight, and I do stand to be corrected.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Premium

Is this another urban myth/distortion of facts?

I believe the 17 was the problem child, not the 14. Though motors were burnet out, I understand the problem was actually tight gearboxes?

Just trying to put the record straight, and I do stand to be corrected.

Stewart

The Class 17 was indeed a problem child. I bought 4, 1 good straight out of the box, 1 returned directly to Heljan who returned it in good order and two others which I gave up on, swapping for a Class 33 and one that's out to a model builder to see if he can come up with a good alternative to the current chassis. The one I returned to Heljan had been sent a couple of times to the UK contracted repairer, who told me there wasn't a problem. There ya go!

Meanwhile on the topic, my Garrat was the fourth of a series of exchanges, it works well enough, but there is a pick-up problem when driving forward. The keep-alive handles this well enough, but I will get sound fitted to it, this having a better keep-alive fitted. It was pleasing to see that Hattons will still have dealings with it.

I recently received (bought) a Beyer Garratt from Olivia's, a DCC job with sound . . . . it's woked perfectly ( so far) straight from the box. I love this heavy brute !

I've been looking at these. Any chance of some video of it running ?

Olivia's are offering on eBay replacement motors...direct from Heljan at 20 a pop...they list all the locos they apply too...most of the range....offering to fit them...warranty...was it just a bad batch initially...? was going to describe how I was going to create a class 14 from Dave Alexander kit rather than risk the remotered Olivia's...I have previously dealt with this company so would trust their warranty....sorry to go off piste as it were. My mashima motored Garratt is going well...but not the same hauling power as original...and nowhere near my portescap kitmaster....

Sorry to clarify...dave Alexander wonderful trader...Olivia's same good trading experience...will be purchasing their class 14..,,might yet remotor the Garratt with the Heljan motors if pleased with class 14

The Class 17 was indeed a problem child. I bought 4, 1 good straight out of the box, 1 returned directly to Heljan who returned it in good order and two others which I gave up on, swapping for a Class 33 and one that's out to a model builder to see if he can come up with a good alternative to the current chassis. The one I returned to Heljan had been sent a couple of times to the UK contracted repairer, who told me there wasn't a problem. There ya go!

Meanwhile on the topic, my Garrat was the fourth of a series of exchanges, it works well enough, but there is a pick-up problem when driving forward. The keep-alive handles this well enough, but I will get sound fitted to it, this having a better keep-alive fitted. It was pleasing to see that Hattons will still have dealings with it.

I had forgotten the issue with pick ups...yes mine had the same issue. Santa had left it for me, so later Xmas morning I had tried it out...can't quite remember if the pick up strips wernt quite touching...or were fouling the wheels....either way a bit of adjustment resulted in it working very well. Hornby pick ups are also very fragile so not just a Heljan problem

I stripped mine for painting, whilst I was at it I removed all the DCC ready bits and simplified the wiring, along with soldering all the joints; re-assembling with a bit of TLC. I seem to recall the pickups were a bit awkward to get working 100%.

Stewart

Just ordered the class 14 from Olivia's. I spoke with a gent there who informed me Heljan had switched motor manufacturer hence the new replacements being more reliable . olivias still have the replacement motors available, however he did warn as per their internet page that fitting them could be tricky.

"Tricky"?  Interesting.  I have replaced both motors with Mashies and apart from getting the worm drive off the old shaft I thought it rather straightforward.  So are they using a completely different type of motor?

Edited by Theakerr

"Tricky"?  Interesting.  I have replaced both motors Mashima and apart from getting the worm drive off the old shaft I thought it rather straightforward.  So are they using a completely different type of motor?

I gather it's the same " type" as fitted originally just produced to a better spec?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received an Olivia's Trains Advent day offer for the their reconditioned Garratt before Xmas and was tempted.

I ordered the Garratt with some trepidation as I have seen several of them 'in trouble' over here and we recently repaired one extensively using replacement motors supplied by Olivias. Secondly, of course, is the 'horror' thread on RMWeb with it's list of casualties, and  also the RMWeb thread that is less than complimentary about Olivias!

However, the parcel arrived promptly and I placed the Garratt on my rolling road and ran it in,15min forward and back repeated 3x. Very quiet and no warming of the motors. I did a little tweak on a couple of pickups to ensure they were touching. Then to the layout, where it has been given a good workout over several days, (including 30+C temperatures), without missing a beat.

I am very pleased and believe this is the Garratt as it should have been originally, congratulations to Olivias on sorting out the problems.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1