Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

• 1 year later...

Hi, has anyone had the crank pins come out, on their beyer.  If so  did they repair themselves, or can they suggest a repaier. At 77, my eyes are not up to playing with these tiny pins. thanks. john

• 6 months later...

When this model was announced, I ordered one straight away.

It's release was accompanied by horror stories of burned-out motors; (which I suspected at the time were the result of distorted valve gear, due to heavy handling).

Nonetheless, I purchased a couple of the spare motors which were mentioned here - just in case!

Now that my 'magnum opus' roundy-roundy is operational, I can finally assess the capabilities of this model.

Suffice to say that it didn't even blink at a load of eighteen Mk.1 coaches - it was clearly capable of far greater things!

No slipping; no escaping 'magic smoke'; just a steady pull away and acceleration to a very creditable running speed, that would have taxed the prototype.

My conclusion is that the Heljan Garratt, given careful handling, is a superb model which ill-deserves its past dubious reputation.

.... and its box still contains the two unused spare motors - just in case!

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

49 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It's release was accompanied by horror stories of burned-out motors; (which I suspected at the time were the result of distorted valve gear, due to heavy handling).

Nonetheless, I purchased a couple of the spare motors which were mentioned here - just in case!

Now that my 'magnum opus' roundy-roundy is operational, I can finally assess the capabilities of this model.

Suffice to say that it didn't even blink at a load of eighteen Mk.1 coaches - it was clearly capable of far greater things!

No slipping; no escaping 'magic smoke'; just a steady pull away and acceleration to a very creditable running speed, that would have taxed the prototype.

My conclusion is that the Heljan Garratt, given careful handling, is a superb model which ill-deserves its past dubious reputation.

John Isherwood.

The first issue of the Garratts were a disaster with multiple problems. I had three myself, all of which had to be returned. Some had a far bigger number of them. 

The second issue was a much improved model. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

Did you have to adjust the valve gear yourself John or did you get a good one, reason I ask is that I have one (never run) which I'd to get going but haven't been game to I have two spare Mashimas just in case, also need a decent layout!!

Rgds.......Mike

Edited by ikks

10 hours ago, amdaley said:

The first issue of the Garratts were a disaster with multiple problems. I had three myself, all of which had to be returned. Some had a far bigger number of them. 

The second issue was a much improved model. 

Mine is a first issue - certainly not a disaster.

John Isherwood.

9 hours ago, ikks said:

Did you have to adjust the valve gear yourself John or did you get a good one, reason I ask is that I have one (never run) which I'd to get going but haven't been game to I have two spare Mashimas just in case, also need a decent layout!!

Rgds.......Mike

No adjustment necessary - I just make sure that I handle it without touching / distorting the valvegear; it is rather delicate.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, amdaley said:

That's great John. 

You were one of the lucky ones. 

The problems were written about extensively. 

Tony. 

I'm in the same position as John, the one I bought was pre-owned but had never run, just sat on a dusty shelf!

I did have a look inside to check lubrication and free movement before putting it on the track, and was extremely careful in handling around the valve gear.  It was then run in gently, and later put on a coal train which it handled quite happily for a while, before being swapped on the coal for something else.

Undoubtedly these motors aren't the most durable, but I think can be OK provided not overtaxed. Care in handling is vital, and any jamming of the valve gear feeds straight back to a strain on the motor and burn out.

John.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Just wondering how people are getting on with their Garratts, are they still performing well, any other problems manifested, are the newer ones any different?

The only problem I have with mine is it occasionally derails on curves and I think it is due to the buffer beam resting on the coupling pocket. There is no upward play on the pony truck so it can lift the chassis and the driving wheels only having small flanges on them sometimes derail. Has anyone else found this?

Edited by Free At Last
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...

I have hopefully just cured the problem of my derailing Garratt.
As I previously mentioned, the end of the chassis rests on the coupling pockets on the pony trucks and I discovered the bottom of buffer beam was not flush causing a slight interference on the pony swinging side to side. Filing this flush seems to have cured it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 months later...
On 17/12/2021 at 12:33, ianwales said:

Just about to put my LMS one up for sale on Ebay, what sort of price is reasonable to expect?

Ian

I'd be careful to avoid silly replies, but I'd just look at Clarks, Hattons and others, plus of course Ebay itself to see what they're going for in similar condition to your own.

Al.

• Agree 1