Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

To quote you exactly.

"Exactly !!

Fragile valvegear + heavy handling = jammed valvegear = motor stalled = smoke !!"

I understand mathematical symbols, these are exact terms, they do not imply 'could'.

2+1=3 means, two plus one equals three.

It does not say that two plus one could be three depending on some circumstances.

Sorry to quote semantics in this reply, but you are contradicting what you said.

That said, I’m sure a good accountant could take 2+1=3 and devise a quite different result.

Jamie

You destroy your own argument with your own semantics !

2 +1 = 3 ; agreed.

5 - 2 = 3 ;

0 + 3 = 3 ;

10 - 7 = 3 ; ..... and so on, ad nauseum.

The result (3) can be arrived at via an infinite number of operations; just because I put forward one such operation does not exclude or negate any of the other combinations.

Just because I cited one possible cause of motor destruction did NOT imply that it applied in this case.

I will be interested to see how you counter those facts - semantics or no; I prefer good old logic.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I am not interested in turning this thread into a tit for tat discourse about what people did or did not say. The posts are there for everyone to read and make their own conclusions.

I feel that a sub-standard model has been sold in the past, judging by both a high number of posts in this thread and my own experience. Recent announcements about the upgrade of the model would also seem to support that.

I will be interested to see if Hattons will sell parts for people to improve their original models, or if they would offer and upgrade service for those willing to pay to have them refurbish old models.

Jamie

I will be interested to see if Hattons will sell parts for people to improve their original models, or if they would offer and upgrade service for those willing to pay to have them refurbish old models.

Jamie

They sell front, rear, and middle sections separately. Seems very reasonable. As I understand it they are in good saleable condition.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

They've been advertising it on their website for a few days. :)

The Hattons stand was next to rails of Sheffield. The latter retailer had a Garratt for sale at £220 . I enquired as to whether it had been given a

new motor...the polite salesperson replied it had by ....Olivia Trains!

The rear motor on my Garratt gave up today with a little puff of smoke!

It was running erratically on DCC so I lubed the motion, cleaned up the electrical pickups, removed the decoder and tried it on DC. I ran it forwards about twelve inches and then in reverse for about 2 seconds before there was a 'crack' and a small puff of blue smoke.

Silly me thinking I'd got away with the motor problems.

I haven't tried yet but is it still possible to get original replacement motors?

• 4 weeks later...

The rear motor on my Garratt gave up today with a little puff of smoke!

It was running erratically on DCC so I lubed the motion, cleaned up the electrical pickups, removed the decoder and tried it on DC. I ran it forwards about twelve inches and then in reverse for about 2 seconds before there was a 'crack' and a small puff of blue smoke.

Silly me thinking I'd got away with the motor problems.

I haven't tried yet but is it still possible to get original replacement motors?

I believe Olivia’s Trains in Sheffield can supply replacement motors, possibly Howes of Oxford (Kidlington?) also.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

In the new Hornby mag today... Heljan's advert announces the new release Garratt is OUT NOW!    Not a squeak from retailers, though.  

Fingers crossed....

Phil.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

The new July issue of BRM carries a Heljan advert with ‘Expected Soon!’ For the OO Beyer Garratts.

Hopefully they are on a boat then.

With Ben Jones now established at Heljan I have been hoping for better communication and customer interaction from Heljan?

• Like 1

When this loco came out originally I decided to give it a miss as years ago I'd made a K's one, albeit it still being in works after many years awaiting proper motors! However a few days ago I let upon an Ebay offering of 47995 which I won for just under £80, much to my surprise.

The loco was very dusty and had a few detail bits missing - perhaps no surprise there - but to my astonishment ran quietly and smoothly when placed on the track. A quick skip read of the previous 96 pages then ensued, to clarify the pitfalls of this iconic but it would seem troubled model. Mine came without the instruction book, but thanks to words and pics on here dismantling to have a butchers inside wasn't difficult. Having experienced the fragility of the valve gear on the 02 I took care not to press on the same with the BG.

The conclusion I'd reached from reading the thread was that the motor quality is right at the bottom of the range of acceptability, and that any impediment to free running was likely to result in burn out. First observation was that at the limit of sideplay the crankpin on the front drivers will foul the crosshead, so Peco fibre washers were cut with slits and pushed behind each wheel. This isn't an ideal answer, and in fact I pushed one of the wheels out a bit on the axle in the process, since corrected hopefully without disturbing the quartering. A better answer would be to get inside the gear box, remove the axles and put a proper spacer in place. It would also be nice to get inside the sealed gearbox to be able to see how it is lubricated, bearing in mind Heljan's penchant for glutinous grease, but I can't see how to do so without either taking the valve gear off, or risking serious damage to same. Neither of these is a great option. Has anyone managed to open the gearbox, I guess this question is the main purpose of my post? 

I did check both motors for free movement by turning the flywheel and hence the wheels by hand. Both seemed very free, but I put drops of oil on each end of the worm bearing, and on the motor bearing at the non-commutator end, just to help. As with the 02, I couldn't get the motor cover to sit down quite as far on the housing as when I'd started, but it's still firm and will stay as is rather than risk overtightening. Three of the eight wheel pickups didn't touch and the sandpipes were all over the shop, I'm wondering whether to replace with wire anyway. Even Modelstrip wouldn't touch the cab numbers, and I've resorted to gentle scraping and sanding - I'm in two minds to follow the example of an earlier poster and spray it all anyway a grotty black. Having seen the myriad wiring Stewart's post of scrapping the lot and simplifying seems quite attractive, one broken wire on final re-assembly and I'm right in his footsteps!

In view of the impending release of a new batch of BG's, I'm hoping the new motor will become available as a spare, and a couple will go into my reserve drawer just in case.

John.

• Like 3

As a postcript to my last post, after which I re-assembled the loco, it ran very smoothly.

I'm touching lots of wood now, but a series of running sessions have been fine, although I've kept a close eye on the valve gear for getting out of alignment, and checked for overheating.

There is a very slight knocking from the front engine, which I suspect is the effect of the compensation system and may be the front wheels lifting slightly at points in the cycle (it doesn't sound at all like a split gear). My model is without one of the buffers, the inner sandboxes and the plate on the floor behind the cab under the bunker - I could make all of these but being a bit idle I'll wait to see if Heljan make some spare sprues available with the new batch! At that point I might have another fiddle with the front engine, meanwhile I'll continue to give it regular runs checking for overheating.

I'd still love to hear from anyone who's found a non-destructive way into the gearbox of these locos, and put it back together again.

John.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 03/05/2019 at 17:27, Chamby said:

In the new Hornby mag today... Heljan's advert announces the new release Garratt is OUT NOW!    Not a squeak from retailers, though.  

Fingers crossed....

Phil.

The delivery date on the Hattons website is currently showing as the first quarter of 2020, whilst the Heljan advert in the latest (October) edition of Hornby Magazine (P104) says "out now". One is obviously talking tosh - know who I'd put my money on.

Perhaps they were delivered to Heljan and they had some issues pre-despatch.....

Edited by WisTramwayMan
Poor grammar
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WisTramwayMan said:

The delivery date on the Hattons website is currently showing as the first quarter of 2020, whilst the Heljan advert in the latest (October) edition of Hornby Magazine (P104) says "out now". One is obviously talking tosh - know who I'd put my money on.

Perhaps they were delivered to Heljan and they had some issues pre-despatch.....

I had an email notification from Hatton's on the 2nd September saying that their latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between January 2020 & March 2020

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/09/2019 at 06:24, sandwich station said:

I had an email notification from Hatton's on the 2nd September saying that their latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between January 2020 & March 2020

Just had this from Hatton's:

Heljan 266213 Beyer Garratt 2-6-0 0-6-2 4993 in LMS black with original coal bunker £212.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Monday 23rd December 2019

cheers,

Keith