how is the jubilee line signalled?

big jim

• RMweb Gold

i was just wondering how the jubilee line (i think its that one!) is signalled, i noticed, but only over the last month or so that the signals on the line between west hampstead and neasden are bagged over but more importantly ive noticed that trains are running closer together, or more to the point, stopping closer together, sometimes only a train length apart, at dollis hill yesterday there was a train in the platform and one stood about 100ft behind but no signal separating them.

• RMweb Gold

Does the Jubilee use automatic train control like the Victoria Line did from the start? This might have been more difficult to install over the former Bakerloo section that Jim sees, perhaps. It is now almost 50 years since an LT railwayman on Acton Town station told me that eastbound District Line train #123 ran on automatic control between there and Chiswick Park, predating the larger proving section between Woodford and Hainault with the 1960 Cravens stock.

No the Jubilee line opened with conventional signals, taking over the Bakerloo service and running to Charing Cross. When the jubilee extension opened it used the conventional signalling equipment removed from the Central Line when that line was upgraded to automatic operation in the 90's. This signalling has restricted the line to 24 tph as a result, now the new signalling allows up to 36/38 tph I believe.

Cheers,

~ Matloughe

When the jubilee extension opened it used the conventional signalling equipment removed from the Central Line when that line was upgraded to automatic operation in the 90's.

Bit of a misnomer here given that most of the equipment removed during the 1990's Central Line re-signalling dated from the 1938 -1940 re-signalling scheme which was eventually commissioned after the 2nd world war huh.gif

F

• 2 weeks later...

The current Jubilee Line signalling is 'based' on Seltrac. For some strange reason a number of features were stripped out, such as b-directional running capability. Arguably, its now bespoke as it doesnt do what Seltrac does, off the shelf.

Archived