Class 144/143 Project Up-Date

charliepetty

• RMweb Premium

Its the age old obsolescence problem that bedevils electronics!

Its the first I've heard of PluX DCC connector, but its otherwise known as NEM658 connector. However there are 8 /16 / 22 pin versions.

This web links has some interesting background on NMRA proposals:-

http://dcc-mueller.d...ra/proposal.htm

Plus NMRA working groups:-

http://www.nmra.org/...ion_topics.html

Guess the question is regarding backwards compatibility, especially to 21pin DCC sockets?

Its the first I've heard of PluX DCC connector, but its otherwise known as NEM658 connector. However there are 8 /16 / 22 pin versions.

Guess the question is regarding backwards compatibility, especially to 21pin DCC sockets?

The links you give are rather out of date now, but there is some background elsewhere on the NMRA website.

In the final outcome, PluX connectors are available in 4 sizes. The PluX12 has since been added and I think some of the dimensions on the other sockets have been adjusted slightly.

Regards your question on 21-pin connectors; no, they are not compatible with the PluX connectors.

As mentioned further back in this thread, since January 2010 (2 years ago) the NMRA have recommended that 21-pin connectors are no longer fitted to new model designs.

I am not aware of any US RTR manufacturer ever using them anyway (I'm sure someone will say if they have.).

In the meantime, many of the European RTR manufacturers who have used 21-pin connectors, are now changing over to the PluX standard on brand new model releases.

The 21-pin MTC connector was only ever a short term "fix" until a suitable multi-pin connector could be agreed upon.

The links you give are rather out of date now, but there is some background elsewhere on the NMRA website.

In the final outcome, PluX connectors are available in 4 sizes. The PluX12 has since been added and I think some of the dimensions on the other sockets have been adjusted slightly.

Regards your question on 21-pin connectors; no, they are not compatible with the PluX connectors.

As mentioned further back in this thread, since January 2010 (2 years ago) the NMRA have recommended that 21-pin connectors are no longer fitted to new model designs.

I am not aware of any US RTR manufacturer ever using them anyway (I'm sure someone will say if they have.).

In the meantime, many of the European RTR manufacturers who have used 21-pin connectors, are now changing over to the PluX standard on brand new model releases.

The 21-pin MTC connector was only ever a short term "fix" until a suitable multi-pin connector could be agreed upon.

Its been suggested a 21pin/8pin combo soloution. ANY THOUGHTS?????

Its been suggested a 21pin/8pin combo soloution. ANY THOUGHTS?????

I'm not sure what you mean by that Charlie?

Do you mean two individual sockets on the PCB?

The two types of connector can't be combined.

8-pin will scupper any attempt to put in more than very basic lighting functions, as it only supports 3 functions. But then I don't know what's needed for a Pacer, or if you intend to include interior lighting etc?

I'm not sure what you mean by that Charlie?

Do you mean two individual sockets on the PCB?

The two types of connector can't be combined.

8-pin will scupper any attempt to put in more than very basic lighting functions, as it only supports 3 functions. But then I don't know what's needed for a Pacer, or if you intend to include interior lighting etc?

A PCB with an 8Pin & a 21Pin fitted, was one suggestion we got!

The 144 has 'Daytime' Headlights & red Tail lights, plus interior LED passenger compartment lights. The working Toilet digital flush & door has been replaced with an 'Sorry Out of Use' sticker.

A PCB with an 8Pin & a 21Pin fitted, was one suggestion we got!

OK I've got you. That's what I thought you meant.

It's a novel approach and would cover both bases for the legacy decoder types, but would this eat up the space and cost more for the extra wiring and connectors?

Just playing devil's advocate for a minute; if you are happy to put two in, why not go for 8 & PluX, or 21 & Plux and get a lead on the competition? It would show you're right on the ball with DCC developments.

The working Toilet digital flush & door has been replaced with an 'Sorry Out of Use' sticker.

:lol_mini: :lol_mini: :lol_mini:

• RMweb Premium

The working Toilet digital flush & door has been replaced with an 'Sorry Out of Use' sticker.

I know of someone who threatened to put separate DCC controlled toilet lights into a DMU, but has since seen the error of his ways.................. :stinker:

Mick

Does a 21 Pin & PluX8 Pin connector on one board sound logical. OR any other suggestions. Charlie

The problem with going for a PluX8 connector, is that it supports the least number of accessory functions, but more importantly will not allow for any of the current sound decoders to be used.

Better to go for a PluX16 or Plux22 connector.

Everything smaller will fit - with the PluX16 you can fit 8, 12 and 16 decoders and with the PluX22 you can fit every size, 8, 12, 16 & 22.

Zimo sound decoders are available with PluX16 (MX648P16 & MX645P16 ) & PluX22 (MX645P22 ) connectors....

The ESU LokSound V4.0 is available with a PluX12 connector....

As such, you can guess the PluX8 won't be popular with those wanting to fit sound.

If you really want to employ two sockets, then a suitable PluX size and a 21-pin MTC will probably do it. That PCB is going to be "busy".

• RMweb Gold

The more options the better as long as the PC board still fits without being to obtrusive into the interior would be my preference although I would rather see an 8 pin socket plus the new Plux connector.

Athearn (or was it Proto 2000) put both the 8 pin and 21 pin on some of their USA locos not so long ago.

Ian

If you really want to employ two sockets, then a suitable PluX size and a 21-pin MTC will probably do it. That PCB is going to be "busy".

This is more because I don't know and for information...

1) Are the PluX connections electrically incompatible with a 21, 8 pin or hardwired decoder?

2) Do the Plux connectors need a blanking plate for instance?

If the answer to 1) is no, and 2) is yes, then surely what could be offered is a plug in blanking plate from a PluX 22 that has a 21 pin adaptor (with a blanking plate) in it and that then covers the two bases? If the answer to 1) is yes, then obviously forget about this suggestion.

This is all interesting stuff about the lighting effects that are being put in and considered by the team behind these units. My ideal scene would see that they had a decoder capable of allowing the lights to

1. Have headlights only working off the 0 light function to turn on lights.

2. have tail lights controlled by a separate function so that each set could be controlled independently, meaning they could both be on, or off, or one end set on. That would mean you could have them on with headlights to shunt, both on as in standing in a station and both off so that when coupled the front unit has just its headlights on while the second unit would have just one set of lights on.

3. Finally you would be able to switch on your inside carriage lights.

If it did all that with sound then the units would be so impressive it would make all other manufacturers envious by your initial success. I know you go could do further with door lights to, but given what I'd like aboe would require four lighting functions, and some major wiring in the boards, it's a lot to ask.

1) Are the PluX connections electrically incompatible with a 21, 8 pin or hardwired decoder?

2) Do the Plux connectors need a blanking plate for instance?

If the answer to 1) is no, and 2) is yes, then surely what could be offered is a plug in blanking plate from a PluX 22 that has a 21 pin adaptor (with a blanking plate) in it and that then covers the two bases? If the answer to 1) is yes, then obviously forget about this suggestion.

1) No - regards the 21 & 8 pin. As for hardwiring - not sure why you'd want it, but IIRC Uhlenbrock do a break-out connector to allow for hardwiring. I'll have to check on that?

2) I haven't given that any thought. I suppose they do, unless there is a separate switch to isolate the socket for DC operation - highly unlikely I would have thought?

Your solution is novel, but one has to ask why?

Surely it would be much simpler to just buy an appropriate decoder for the connector provided.

• RMweb Premium

This is all interesting stuff about the lighting effects that are being put in and considered by the team behind these units. My ideal scene would see that they had a decoder capable of allowing the lights to

1. Have headlights only working off the 0 light function to turn on lights.

2. have tail lights controlled by a separate function so that each set could be controlled independently, meaning they could both be on, or off, or one end set on. That would mean you could have them on with headlights to shunt, both on as in standing in a station and both off so that when coupled the front unit has just its headlights on while the second unit would have just one set of lights on.

With a 21 pin (and the PluX 12 and above) this should be standard on future releases. It's not difficult to achieve as the hardwired modification to the likes of a 21 pin Bachy 66 takes about 5 mins.........

As an aside, has the Dapol 21 (and presume 10000/1) got switched tail lights? (Not forgetting the 22 pin problem)

Cheers,

Mick

Your solution is novel, but one has to ask why?

Surely it would be much simpler to just buy an appropriate decoder for the connector provided..

It seemed like the logical way to offer the two socket solution proposed whilst minimising the PCB clutter.

• RMweb Gold

When I buy a new item I tend to give it a test run and a bit of running in before fitting a spare decoder or a cheaper one such as the Hornby decoder available in some places for under a tenner. This then means I havent spent too much on a specific type of decoder that will eventually get replaced whern a suitable sound decoder is released. This cheaper decoder then gets recycled ino something else.

Not sure if others do this but its something worth thinking about.

There are adaptor plugs avilable but thry do tend to tke up a lot of dpace and certainly more than a pc board with dual sockets.

• 3 weeks later...
I know this might be a bit late but ESU have a plux 12,16,22 to nem652 (8pin) adapter in thier new 2012 range so this could be a idea for the train

The adapter was announced as new last year in their 2011 catalogue.

It allows a loco fitted with a PluX connector, to accept an 8-pin decoder.

Personally I'm not a fan of adapters and I think it's worth pointing out the extra cost to buy one.

The ESU 51969 PluX to 8-Pin is available for about €9.00 (£7.60) from Germany and €9.95 (£8.35) off eBay, plus p&p (another £1.30 - £2.00 on top).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived