PCA Cement Wagon Project

charliepetty

Hi All

The printing error was only spotted Once we had sold loads of them and started posting out , a transfer sheet is getting done for those that want one to rectify the problem. 

I will let you know when it’s available.

Regards Arran 

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2019 at 12:17, charliepetty said:

Rapido Coupling ?    or am I being thick !!!!! 

PPs This model is N Gauge.    Charlie

Cement Castle Underside.JPG

On 09/06/2019 at 16:55, Mike Harvey said:

I think it was a compliment on mistaking the wagon for a 00 gauge one, rather than a piece of N jewellery. ;-)

Known as such by us oldies Charlie!

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-105203/generic-n-nem-rapido-coupling-pair

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

My order of a dozen STS grey wagons arrived this morning and I am very impressed with the packaging as well as the quality and the close coupling of the wagons. Unlike the unfortunate error with the Castle Cement version, the printing seems to be spot on. Having said that, a paint gremlin has been at work; the bottom of the ladders on 2/3 of the wagons are white which isn’t prototypical and looks like a mistake. Five minutes with a paint brush will sort that out and is the only issue with an otherwise excellent model. Well done to Realtrack and Accurascale!

Edit: actually I was wrong about the white ladder rungs; see posts below.... 

Edited by Western Aviator

21 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

My order of a dozen STS grey wagons arrived this morning and I am very impressed with the packaging as well as the quality and the close coupling of the wagons. Unlike the unfortunate error with the Castle Cement version, the printing seems to be spot on. Having said that, a paint gremlin has been at work; the bottom of the ladders on 2/3 of the wagons are white which isn’t prototypical and looks like a mistake. Five minutes with a paint brush will sort that out and is the only issue with an otherwise excellent model. Well done to Realtrack and Accurascale!

HI 

Sometimes they are not all the same 

Regards Arran

21 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

po-10608-sts-PCA-Severn Tunnel Junction-1986-09

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Arran, may I offer my humble apologies. I’d never seen a picture of one of these wagons with the bottom of the ladder painted white so wrongly assumed it was a mistake. I did check Paul’s site before posting earlier but didn’t see anything other than wagons with completely grey ladders (obviously I didn’t look closely enough). In that case, even more credit is due to you for incorporating this variation. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the white painting on the bottom of the ladders was a latter addition, H&S has developed over the years, plus wagon maintainers did their own thing sometimes, the old C&W department at Tonbridge used a lot of white on their civils wagons.

Cheers.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 23/12/2019 at 20:30, Lyddrail said:

Looks like the white painting on the bottom of the ladders was a latter addition, H&S has developed over the years, plus wagon maintainers did their own thing sometimes, the old C&W department at Tonbridge used a lot of white on their civils wagons.

Cheers.

The STS branding was covered by CAIB branding in 1989/90. I know because I signed the production order. So although the odd one survived longer, that white portion was there pre-1990 at least. 

13 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

The STS branding was covered by CAIB branding in 1989/90. I know because I signed the production order. So although the odd one survived longer, that white portion was there pre-1990 at least. 

What was the White one was its a one off ?

Regards Arran

• RMweb Gold

Mine are yet to arrive, but they do look superb. 

Question for @arran though, will the transfer sheet include all of the panels not correctly printed? I see at least 6 which appear to be missing background colour. 

Cheers,  

Tom.  

7 hours ago, arran said:

What was the White one was its a one off ?

Regards Arran

The all white one was a one-off for the exhibition fleet. Had a curtain sided van in red and white as company, and a white Procar 80. We had very few vehicles not on-hire in 1989 so our exhibition fleet was bolstered by borrowing wagons back from our rental customers on a short term basis. As soon as wagons were built they were going straight into traffic - with Channel Tunnel construction taking a big share of new builds.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, TomE said:

I see at least 6 which appear to be missing background colour. 

Cheers,  

Tom.  

My guess would be that all the white-on-black panels would’ve been in the same tampo plate, and as that was missed all were missed.   Oddly the outlines are present; so I wonder whether there was a misunderstanding by the factory tampo master.

Also, the deco samples I saw had these panels correctly printed, so presumably somewhere in the factory the correct plates are available for future runs.

The reality is of course that even with the most careful project management and dedicated workers, mistakes can happen.  I think Arran’s response is exemplary.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ben A said:

My guess would be that all the white-on-black panels would’ve been in the same tampo plate, and as that was missed all were missed.   Oddly the outlines are present; so I wonder whether there was a misunderstanding by the factory tampo master.

Also, the deco samples I saw had these panels correctly printed, so presumably somewhere in the factory the correct plates are available for future runs.

The reality is of course that even with the most careful project management and dedicated workers, mistakes can happen.  I think Arran’s response is exemplary.

cheers

Ben A.

Agreed, and it's bound to be more frustrating for Arran given the samples were correct. Sh1t happens though, it doesn't distract from what looks like a truly excellent model and kudos to Arran for offering the decal sheet. 

There appears to be a yellow and red panel missing background colour too, but still having outlines so perhaps a couple of missed runs?

Regardless, I'll hopefully be able to pick up a couple more packs to form a decent rake. 

Tom. 

• RMweb Premium

I make it 8 labels each side (including the overhead warning flashes), and yes it’s black, red and yellow ones, which is odd. The quality of printing looks superb though I must say, and I’m sure it’s a real frustration. 

4 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

@arran @charliepetty

Any update on whether all the orders have now shipped. I am concerned that my order may have gone astray in the post depending on the order they have been despatched in as at least one person with an order number after mine received their order a fortnight ago.

Cheers

Paul

We are still sending out orders, we had hundreds of them, sorry for any delays.   Charlie.

PM Me if possible with your order numbers on charlie@dckits.co.uk

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, charliepetty said:

We are still sending out orders, we had hundreds of them, sorry for any delays.   Charlie.

PM Me if possible with your order numbers on charlie@dckits.co.uk

Hi Charlie

Thanks for the reply.

Arran has been in touch.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I’d forgotten I’d ordered these, was a bit confused when the parcel left in the log store was from C Rail. I was expecting the Revolution Sturgeons! Nice surprise though, I had two Rugby sets on order.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My trio of STS liveried wagons also arrived yesterday (order number 620-something). They're simply stunning, and apparently without the livery issues of the Castle Cement versions.

One minor issue  @arran, @charliepetty, mine were delivered to the invoice address rather than the delivery address. Fortunately someone was home...

Rolling stock model of the year will be interesting next Dec/Jan with these up against the Revolution KFA and Sturgeons...

Steven B.

• Agree 1