PCA Cement Wagon Project

charliepetty

6 hours ago, Steven B said:

My trio of STS liveried wagons also arrived yesterday (order number 620-something). They're simply stunning, and apparently without the livery issues of the Castle Cement versions.

Hopefully that means my packs are almost here as my order number is in the 620’s.  Website stills shows my order as processing.

I thought I had ordered early on but evidently not by the order number.

Looking forward to these anyway.

Martin

On 09/01/2020 at 19:56, Rammstein2609 said:

Hopefully that means my packs are almost here as my order number is in the 620’s.  Website stills shows my order as processing.

I thought I had ordered early on but evidently not by the order number.

Looking forward to these anyway.

Martin

I got 20 or so orders ahead of mine! I will keep an eye out for the postie next week.

Although weirdly mine says completed in 14 Jan 2019 so not really sure what that means.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

My rake has arrived and got its first run out  this evening on the club's old N gauge layout. Apologies for the inappropriate loco - its about all I had available in DC! They look fantastic. One or two don't run quite as freely as expected but the Dapol 68 had no problem pulling the rake and I'm sure they're running better avter a few turns on the layout.

Thanks!

Dave

20200120_214920.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, davepallant said:

My rake has arrived and got its first run out  this evening on the club's old N gauge layout. Apologies for the inappropriate loco - its about all I had available in DC! They look fantastic. One or two don't run quite as freely as expected but the Dapol 68 had no problem pulling the rake and I'm sure they're running better avter a few turns on the layout.

Thanks!

Dave

20200120_214920.jpg

Looks good in a large rake.

Regards Arran

• Agree 1

Hi All

the transfers to update the castle cement pca wagons are now in stock.

if you got them from C Rail or Realtrack contact them with your details and order number if possible.

if you got them at shows go though C Rail please

Regards Arran

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what locomotives would have worked these in the late 80s-early 90s?

I'm thinking Midlands, particularly Ketton Cement which I believe used the "STS" livery. Although I'm a novice, so please correct my if wrong!

• RMweb Premium

Flickr shows classes 25, 31, 47 and 56 on Ketton workings (mostly 31s, often in pairs). Most of the pre 1995 images show the V-tank PCA (as done by Farish) rather than the type Realtrack have produced. The Realtrack appear later - the earliest photo I've found shows a Mainline Freight Blue class 58 with a rake of Castle Cement branded wagons.

Steven B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Flickr shows classes 25, 31, 47 and 56 on Ketton workings (mostly 31s, often in pairs). Most of the pre 1995 images show the V-tank PCA (as done by Farish) rather than the type Realtrack have produced. The Realtrack appear later - the earliest photo I've found shows a Mainline Freight Blue class 58 with a rake of Castle Cement branded wagons.

Steven B

HI All

The STS could be seen from Kent to Aberdeen so i suppose that covers most BR types.

Regards Arran

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steven B said:

Steven B

Thanks that's really useful, I'll do some more search on Flickr to see what I find!

I didn't order the Castle Cement from Realtrack because they look like later liveries (as they mention Heidelberg), i.e. post 1995.

PCA_Castle_BB_Environment.JPG.68ebfb3150e02d2880ada08d7132f500.JPG

2 hours ago, Ted-ish said:

Thanks that's really useful, I'll do some more search on Flickr to see what I find!

I didn't order the Castle Cement from Realtrack because they look like later liveries (as they mention Heidelberg), i.e. post 1995.

Pack J, K, L  have the older markings. 

See:https://realtrackmodels.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73_89&product_id=184

Charlie

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ted-ish said:

Thanks Charlie,

Do you know if they would have been seen around the late 80's? Or are they later than that?

From our Website:

Built by CFMF of France for wagon leasing company STS, the 50 PCA bulk cement wagons of the PC017B design diagram started entering service in 1982. Assigned the numbers STS10600-STS10651, 15 members of the fleet were hired to Rugby Cement for use on workings from Halling Cement Works in Kent to Greenford, Southampton, and possibly Bow Goods and Tilbury Riverside. Other examples were leased to Blue Circle for use on a number of workings across the network. A further batch of 15 wagons was manufactured in 1985 by another French firm, Fauvet-Girel. Numbered STS74030-STS74044 and assigned design diagram PC017C, these vehicles received the Rugby Cement livery and replaced the wagons from the previous batch which had been leased to that company. All these wagons were re-liveried in 1996 when they were leased by Castle Cement for use on workings to London – initially to Kings Cross freight depot and then to the freight facility at Saint Pancras from 2003. Since 2013, a number of these wagons have also been used on workings between Clitheroe and Avonmouth.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Ted-ish said:

Got my rake of 15 and they're awesome, thank you for putting these together! Hard to believe these are N Gauge. :)

realtrack-pcas-2.jpg.192a6719480aad9449f998a331b31fc4.jpg

No problem, glad your happy.    The Castle Cement have been the best sellers, followed by STS and then the Rugby Cement.

Thanks again for your comments.  Arran & Charlie

• 1 month later...

Hi Chsrlie & Arran. Apologies if ths has been mentioned previously, but if I order the Rugby cement twin pack do you get one of each pack (E & F) or is it a bit of a lucky dip or too guarantee one of each pack should I just order 1 of pack E and 1 of pack F. 

Many thanks 

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a few pics of some of my weathered N Gauge ones - I've also renumbered one to STS 10617 and moved the STS markings to the lower position as carried by many examples in the 80s. 

I've also added a B&B coupling to one wagon.

For more images - visit tonybuckton.smugmug.com

IMGP4503.jpg

IMGP4504.jpg

IMGP4510.jpg

IMGP4511.jpg

IMGP4512.jpg

Edited by Albion47509
  • Like 6