Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

Some beautifully done examples in this thread, inspirational stuff. I've been meaning to get my modelling juices kick started again with non railway model but haven't had the time to do anything about it recently.... must make amends!

This isn't mine but thought I'd share it here, a lovely Tamiya Quad tractor unit... I've thought about doing one of these in 'post war' private ownership style but can't find any photos of them in de-mob condition does anyone know what happened to those that survived the war..?

post-7638-0-83588700-1461773582_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Some beautifully done examples in this thread, inspirational stuff. I've been meaning to get my modelling juices kick started again with non railway model but haven't had the time to do anything about it recently.... must make amends!

This isn't mine but thought I'd share it here, a lovely Tamiya Quad tractor unit... I've thought about doing one of these in 'post war' private ownership style but can't find any photos of them in de-mob condition does anyone know what happened to those that survived the war..?

attachicon.gifTamiya-Model-25pdr.-Field-Gun-and-Quad-Gun-Tractor.4.jpg

Quite a few ended up as breakdown wagons. There are photographs of one towing away some of the Brighton trolleybuses for scrap in the 1960's.

They were gutless things, there were still a few of them working in the land rig sector until the 1970s. The increased availability of the Unimog and the development of road going 4wd tractors in the 1960s superseded them.

Wasn't there an Airfix kit of one?

A quick vote for the ultimate 4x4 workhorse, the 3 ton Bedford in all its variants!

Edited by rockershovel

• 1 month later...

For some time, I've been fascinated by Theo Jansen's Strandbeests, I knew there were kits available, but they were either Japanese ones (with Japanese instructions) or American ones that had no UK agents or distributors, and the cost of carriage and possible customs duty was not inconsiderable.

A few days ago, I found the American one in stock at a UK company, and it arrived today!

strandbeest%20kit_zpscesbunt2.jpg

I won't be putting it together just yet, but will post up some pics when I do. In the meantime, if you don't know what a Strandbeest is, read, watch and learn :D

https://www.theguardian.com/science/grrlscientist/2012/mar/24/1

• Like 3

Strandbeest kits also at Jansen's own site: https://webshop.strandbeest.com/index.php?_route_=assembly-kits

Shipping from NL, I think. I haven't tried to order.

I had seen those, but when you go to order it gives an option of USA or Other Countries, and although priced in Euro, I had assumed that they were being shipped from the US. There is a second kit, so I might investigate the website for that one.

Those bi-planes look great :) I always struggled with the stringing, until I started using stretched sprue for it (this was years ago). One of these days i'll make a start on the Vulcan I have in the pile, I kind of regret selling off all the unmade plane kits I had a few years back due to space and moving restraints.

• 3 weeks later...

2 years ago i painted up my Tamiya 1:48 firefly as T-212632 "spitfire" of the East Riding Yeomanry, though i know nothing about where to get the right number transfers for it

post-9948-0-47723900-1467834692_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-74145000-1467834693_thumb.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 2

A few more of my WW1 aricraft models.

Martynside Buzzard.

buzz-006.jpg

A flight of Sopwith Pups.

Pups-002.jpg

Bristol Scout.

Scout-015.jpg

Scratchbuilt F.E2b.

Pilots-020.jpg

S.E5a flight and pilots.

Pilots-009.jpg

S.E5a.

SE5a-007.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 11

Hi all some more of my models.Sorry they are dusty and some with bits missing but they are at my mums one top of a wardrobe in cov. I managed to take some pics with my phone on a flying visit on Friday. They will be repaired when I get them back to wales!!!

post-28019-0-81330100-1468099982_thumb.jpg

post-28019-0-07539600-1468100009_thumb.jpg

post-28019-0-56120800-1468100042_thumb.jpg

post-28019-0-02320400-1468100068_thumb.jpg

post-28019-0-19590400-1468100086_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi ruston very nice modelling. What scale are they? and who's kits are the martinside and scout or are they scratch built? The Fe is quite outstanding

They are all 1/72 scale, both are kits. The Martynside is from AZ Model and Bristol is from MAC.

http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p67648528 links to a page of Morris Commercial Military vehicles. I suspect that any Quad which had been re-purposed would have been very heavily modified from the cab backwards.

• RMweb Premium

http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p67648528 links to a page of Morris Commercial Military vehicles. I suspect that any Quad which had been re-purposed would have been very heavily modified from the cab backwards.

I have seen photographs of a Quad virtually in original condition in use as a fire engine towing a portable pump. This was for an Austrian brigade and was apparently in use up until about 1960.