Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

• 1 month later...

28mm figure painting.

The sentries have come in and they report Zulus to the Southwest... Thousands of them.

ZuluDawn-001.jpg

'Ere they come, thick as grass and black as 'ell!

ZuluDawn-006.jpg

Now then, has anyone seen Michael Caine anywhere?

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 7

This is a stalled project - a scratchbuild of a De Havilland DH10 Biplane Bomber in 1/72 scale. I last did anything on it in January. When it is eventually finished it will be completely from scratch with the exception of the guns, which will be brass castings that I have already bought for it.

Scratchbuilding-004.jpg

Scratchbuilding-007.jpg

Scratchbuilding-009.jpg

Scratchbuilding-010.jpg

Scratchbuilding-012.jpg

Scratchbuilding-014.jpg

Scratchbuilding-016.jpg

scratchbuilding-018.jpg

Scratchbuilding-020.jpg

Scratchbuilding-021.jpg

Scratchbuilding-022.jpg

Scratchbuilding-026_2.jpg

Scratchbuilding-027.jpg

Scratchbuilding-031.jpg

• Like 9

This is a stalled project - a scratchbuild of a De Havilland DH10 Biplane Bomber in 1/72 scale.

Well thanks for making the rest of us look bad. :P

That is amazing. The wings look like bits off a kit, not to mention the engines and hand shaped propellers.

I could never manage that level of plasticcard scratchbuilding.

Would love to see it finished.

Hi Ruston am I right in thinking that there was a kit of a DH10 in 1:48 or 1:32 scale possibly by Aroura? I think they did a Platz and a few other WW1 aircraft. Great modelling skills shown here, a craftsman at work

Steve

I think Aurora's kit was a Pfalz DIII in 1:48 scale.

Reinhold (?) Platz was Fokker's design genius IIRC.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a stalled project - a scratchbuild of a De Havilland DH10 Biplane Bomber in 1/72 scale. I last did anything on it in January. When it is eventually finished it will be completely from scratch with the exception of the guns, which will be brass castings that I have already bought for it.

Scratchbuilding-004.jpg

Scratchbuilding-007.jpg

Scratchbuilding-009.jpg

Scratchbuilding-010.jpg

Scratchbuilding-012.jpg

Scratchbuilding-014.jpg

Scratchbuilding-016.jpg

scratchbuilding-018.jpg

Scratchbuilding-020.jpg

Scratchbuilding-021.jpg

Scratchbuilding-022.jpg

Scratchbuilding-026_2.jpg

Scratchbuilding-027.jpg

Scratchbuilding-031.jpg

Now that sir, is proper modelling !

• Like 1

I'm reviving a 1/25 scale 1937 Chevy Coupe hot rod that I must have started over 30 years ago. My modelling skills have, I hope (!), advanced a bit since then to enable me to actually finish it. There is certainly better glues and paints available now.

steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm reviving a 1/25 scale 1937 Chevy Coupe hot rod that I must have started over 30 years ago. My modelling skills have, I hope (!), advanced a bit since then to enable me to actually finish it. There is certainly better glues and paints available now.

steve

I have some kits still in their boxes that are now regarded as collectors items. :senile:

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here's my latest non-railway project, in 1/350th scale:

post-6720-0-30021500-1492377191_thumb.jpg

post-6720-0-02058900-1492377206_thumb.jpg

post-6720-0-71004400-1492377224_thumb.jpg

Also includes around 40 Leds for interior lights:

post-6720-0-07173000-1492377388_thumb.jpg

There are still a few things to do before it's finished, but the end is in sight at last, after about six years on and off the workbench.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear! Now I have found this thread I shall have to consider digging out the CCCP coastal self-propelled 130mm artillery set I started building. I got bogged down building three MAZ 7910 chassis, with their angular cabs and irregular shaped windows. I thought I could just concentrate on railways once again! Perhaps I'll look them out and see whether they are within striking distance of finishing. Appropriate terminology for artillery models!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear! Now I have found this thread I shall have to consider digging out the CCCP coastal self-propelled 130mm artillery set I started building. I got bogged down building three MAZ 7910 chassis, with their angular cabs and irregular shaped windows. I thought I could just concentrate on railways once again! Perhaps I'll look them out and see whether they are within striking distance of finishing. Appropriate terminology for artillery models!

I don't think it is within striking distance at the moment - just too much else going on. So that you can see what I mean, here are couple of snap-shots of the progress so far. It must be 15 - 20 years since I last did any work on the set. The white metal wheels are from one of the resin kit manufacturers, but I can't remember which. I used to get quite a bit of stuff from S&S, but I am fairly sure that it wasn't them. The rest is all plastic card, with a few bits of aluminium tube and wire.

post-14351-0-36637700-1492454154_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Just thought I would post 2 pics I found. One is a B29 the other is a HE177.i haven't been able to do any modelling lately, these were made some years ago

A B-29 in 1:48 is a commitment in both time and space. Both look very nice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some time ago I decided that when the model railway mojo left me, as it does from time to time, I'd build some models of planes my late father flew while he was in the Fleet Air Arm between 1938 and 1948.  I've got his old flying log books and there are quite a lot of planes!  Anyway, I acquired three kits, a Tamiya Swordfish, an Airfix Seafire, and a Special Hobby Fairey Barracuda 2, all in 1/48 scale.

I decided that because I haven't built any plastic plane kits for an awfully long time I'd tackle them by complexity, starting with what I thought was likely to be the easiest.  That was the Seafire.  Airfix thoughtfully provided a range of decals for the model which happily included a set for the squadron and base my father was when he flew Seafires after the war.  The kit was good and went together well, though it would have been even easier had I had just a little bit more knowledge of the prototype.  Painted up, it looks very good though I'm currently debating whether to finish it off with a coat of Testors Dullcote - maybe not as I suspect that the plane would have had a sheen rather than be absolutely matt.

Next time my railway mojo desterted me (a few weeks ago) I decided to build the Barracuda, leaving the more complex (it's a biplane!) and more expensive Swordfish to last.  The Barracuda was neither an attractive plane, nor a loved one although it was fairly sturdy - I've got a photo of my father's plane with a great big hole in its wing after a sortie over Norway.  There's an old FAA song about the Barracuda:

Any old iron, any old iron,
Any, any, any old iron.
Down at Lee you get them free,
Built by Faireys for a crew of three.
Not much fun, no front gun,
An engine you can't rely on.
You know what you can do
With your Barracuda two.
Old iron, old iron.

There's a second verse that is even less complimentary, but unfortunately I can't make out all the words though it does include the line "bet your bottom dollar that you won't get out alive" (http://barracudaproject.co.uk/index.php?id=2)

The kit, sadly, is a bit of a pig.  Special Hobby is a Czech company and while it provides (I hope!) all the necessary parts, some of them require quite a bit of "adjustment" and carving to get them to fit properly.  My Milliput filler has also proved useful.  It's coming along, but compared to the Airfix model, or indeed a nice etched brass coach kit, it leaves a lot to be desired.

DT

• RMweb Gold

I agree that planes (or any non-railway) subject are a great way to get the mojo back, or just keep your modelling fresh. Personally I like the fact that these models can be regarded as self-contained projects, they're not like building a layout where there are dozens or hundreds of individual models needed to build the big picture. Once you've finished a plane, you can throw the box away, stand back and admire the model which you've seen from start to finish.

I personally fancy a Swordfish one day; I think I may have attempted a 1/72nd one during my "youth", but my default scale now is 1/48th and I wouldn't be likely to make quite such a hash of a biplane as I tended to do then. It must be nice to have a strong personal connection to the models, too.

Guest CLARENCE

A selection made by me several years ago. All from scratch in 1/12 scale. I "worked" in the dolls house and miniatures field, specializing in horse-drawn vehicles to stand outside collectors dolls houses, or for street scenes.

post-283-0-75354300-1494517181_thumb.jpg

A Burton Gypsy van.

post-283-0-27964500-1494517240_thumb.jpg

Delivery Van

post-283-0-46690400-1494517286_thumb.jpg

A Bow-Top Gypsy Van

post-283-0-35580700-1494517401_thumb.jpg

A Gig

post-283-0-72489000-1494517480_thumb.jpg

Bread Delivery Van

post-283-0-77279400-1494517552_thumb.jpg

Hansom Cab

Edited by CLARENCE

Guest CLARENCE

And a few more!

post-283-0-08915900-1494518061_thumb.jpg

Hearse (made for customer's window)

post-283-0-68778000-1494518164_thumb.jpg

Milk Float

post-283-0-26820500-1494518251_thumb.jpg

Horse-Drawn Bus

post-283-0-01775500-1494518285_thumb.jpg

Mail coach

Hope you like 'em!

David.

PS Actually I didn't make the horses!

Edited by CLARENCE

For some time, I've been fascinated by Theo Jansen's Strandbeests, I knew there were kits available, but they were either Japanese ones (with Japanese instructions) or American ones that had no UK agents or distributors, and the cost of carriage and possible customs duty was not inconsiderable.

A few days ago, I found the American one in stock at a UK company, and it arrived today!

strandbeest%20kit_zpscesbunt2.jpg

I won't be putting it together just yet, but will post up some pics when I do. In the meantime, if you don't know what a Strandbeest is, read, watch and learn :D

https://www.theguardian.com/science/grrlscientist/2012/mar/24/1

Bought a kit based on this posting, I could only find one from China at the price I wanted to pay) - took about an hour to build but great fun to watch.

Tony

Edited by anthony07
  • Like 1