Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

Is the bessonneau hangar, scratchbuilt? It really helps to set the scene.

Regards

Bill

Yes. I found some scale drawings online and built it in true Blue Peter style, using a cornflakes packet, masking tape and papier mache.

• Like 3

Hi 60091,

I can remember building that MTB when it first came out. I also built the German E Boat that they produced. This one:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/forum/airfix-humbrols-172-e-boat/?p=1

Would love to have a go at building them again. You have done a brilliant job building that one. I love the water effect.

Correct me if I am wrong, But I seem to remember there was an option to put an electric motor in these boats as an optional extra.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

Hi 60091,

I can remember building that MTB when it first came out. I also built the German E Boat that they produced. This one:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/forum/airfix-humbrols-172-e-boat/?p=1

Would love to have a go at building them again. You have done a brilliant job building that one. I love the water effect.

Correct me if I am wrong, But I seem to remember there was an option to put an electric motor in these boats as an optional extra.

Hello cypherman

Thank you.

I've got the E Boat to do and after a quick look in the box, it looks a much more sophisticated and detailed kit.

I think there was an article in the old Airfix Magazine on how to motorize the MTB. The kit makes no allowance for the conversion so a lot of work would be required.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That looks superb George, very nicely done. 

I'm finding this thread is a real tonic - I must get on with the 1/18th scale ''70s backstreet Italian garage'' diaorama I've recently made a base for. So far I only have one car to go on it, a Kyosho Lamborghini Urraco but I'm hoping to add a Fiat 500, a Lamborghini Espada and any other period Fiats, Lancias or Alfas I can find in this scale.

• Like 2

Looking at that fine Vosper it reminded me of a Revell Sub I built, Here are some pictures of that. Sea was made of Tinfoil folded and then Polyfiller sculpted into the waves. Various blues and grays were blended in then. My daughter helped by painting Superglue over the after deck!

351_5160_zpsc947054e.jpg

351_5158_zps7e4b97fd.jpg

351_5157_zpsa5bd3408.jpg

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 14

That looks superb George, very nicely done. 

I'm finding this thread is a real tonic - I must get on with the 1/18th scale ''70s backstreet Italian garage'' diaorama I've recently made a base for. So far I only have one car to go on it, a Kyosho Lamborghini Urraco but I'm hoping to add a Fiat 500, a Lamborghini Espada and any other period Fiats, Lancias or Alfas I can find in this scale.

That sounds like it will be a great diorama.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Looking at the 1/24th Spitfire they have obviously changed the version. Unless the still make the Mk1a as well as this later Mk5. I remember waking on Christmas morning in 1974 to find under the tree the 1/24th Spitfire, Hurricane and Me109E under the tree. I was in heaven for months building those kits.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3

Not sure if Lego counts as modelling, but it's what I'm doing at the moment after my stepdaughter bought me the VW Camper for my birthday.

After that, I bought myself the Caterham 620R:

Caterham1

Caterham2

Caterham3

And the current project is to turn this lot:

truck bricks

into a US conventional-cab truck.

The chassis is finished (iPhone 7 for scale). It's big!

chassis

• Like 7

The truck is finished. Opening doors, bonnet and lockers (complete with tools), a coffee maker and a TV in the cab. The doors should have red lower panels, but the stickers were a slightly different shade of red, so I left them off. The small grilles on the side of the hood should be gunmetal-effect, but I misread the instructions!

1475 parts, it took about ten hours doing a couple of hours a night.

truck complete

• Like 3

The truck is finished. Opening doors, bonnet and lockers (complete with tools), a coffee maker and a TV in the cab. The doors should have red lower panels, but the stickers were a slightly different shade of red, so I left them off. The small grilles on the side of the hood should be gunmetal-effect, but I misread the instructions!

1475 parts, it took about ten hours doing a couple of hours a night.

Awesome. Now turn it into Optimus Prime. xD

• Like 1

Just browsing weathering techniques and came across this  ...

The attention to detail is quite remarkable.

Rob

Wow just wow. Just spent 25 minutes sat watching this with my mouth open

I would never have thought of weathering on the go. 

Thanks for posting this.

I really need to work on my technique now.

Andy

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have just found out that the old Frog models appear to be alive and well and still in production. I know Frog sold their production to a Russian company called Novo in the 70's, But it looks like some of them are now being produced by a Russian company called Ark

http://www.ark-models.org/catalog.php?cid=70

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

Mention of old kits has reminded me. Has anyone purchased the reissues of the WW1 figures by Airfix?

My eight year old nephew is showing some interest in the First World War because they've been doing it in school and I was thinking of getting him some. I'm mainly wondering on what type of plastic they are. If they are hard plastic I'll buy a set, if they are that dreadful bendy stuff from the 1960s/1970s then I'll pass.

I'll probably buy a tank anyway. It's just the figures I'm hesitant about and I don't want to spend £4.50 each to find they are rubbish plastic.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Mention of old kits has reminded me. Has anyone purchased the reissues of the WW1 figures by Airfix?

My eight year old nephew is showing some interest in the First World War because they've been doing it in school and I was thinking of getting him some. I'm mainly wondering on what type of plastic they are. If they are hard plastic I'll buy a set, if they are that dreadful bendy stuff from the 1960s/1970s then I'll pass.

I'll probably buy a tank anyway. It's just the figures I'm hesitant about and I don't want to spend £4.50 each to find they are rubbish plastic.

Jason

I think you will find that they are hard plastic now.