Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Luftwaffe camouflage on my Focke-Wulfe:

focke.jpg.db5f21684b5efa9779034052f44302a1.jpg

This is my first go at this type of camouflage pattern and proved rather tricky! I did the dot pattern using my airbrush but it was very fiddly to get the right pressure to produce a dot, and not a splat! I used a set of Vallejo Luftwaffe colours for this job and have to say that they are excellent for the larger areas. I think it will be alright once the decals are on.

I now have rather a lot of Luftwaffe paint left!

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Agree with PMP.  The Piper pa-25-235 Pawnee G-AVPY is currently operated by Southdown gliding club.(Thanks to flightradar24).

The Embraer Ipanema is an EMB 203 crop duster (think it's 203 because of the winglets, the model numbers are 200, 201, 202, 203). Latest version is the first ethanol powered fixed wing aircraft. 

Made by Industria Aeronautica Neiva (an Embraer subsidiary) in Brazil.

Nice models.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A monoplane Tiger Moth? Obviously it is of the DH Moth family but not a 'Tiger'.

DH71 tiger moth.  2 built in 1927 as high speed research and racing monoplanes.

Set speed record for light aircraft of 186mph in 1927. One (G-EBQU)   exported to Australia where it crashed, other airframe destroyed at DH factory during air raid in 1940.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

DH71 tiger moth.  2 built in 1927 as high speed research and racing monoplanes.

Set speed record for light aircraft of 186mph in 1927. One (G-EBQU)   exported to Australia where it crashed, other airframe destroyed at DH factory during air raid in 1940.

How the hell did anyone see out of that thing?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I ran into a bit of an issue with the cockpit canopy on the Focke-Wulf:

focke.jpg.48867ca56c6361e558ec61dba5617799.jpg

With the slider part as far forward as it'll go, it bumps into the back of the pilot's head before it closes up with the forward canopy. My guess is that I got the pilot's posture slightly off but there's no real way to judge it until too late in the build to do anything about it. To fix the problem, I've added a big C-shaped fillet of plastic to the front of the slider, visible above, and two extra small fillets to the prong-like projections which go either side of the pilot. When the glazing is in place, it now closes up with the front canopy much more satisfactorily.

I also found that the slider as a whole was a bit too narrow at the front, tending to want to fall into the cockpit rather than fit flush with the fusalage sides, so again I added two small fillets to widen it out at a bit. As with the pilot, it;s possible that the error was due to my build making the cockpit slightly over-wide but it's no real problem to fix.

• Like 6

Great weathering, very impressive model and the sand on the wheels looks very realistic.   One thing that has occurred to me although I've never found the answer.  Were Willys Jeeps painted olive drab as a standard colour when leaving the factory, then ones used in desert conditions then over-painted (say) sand colour before being sent for use? Or repainted  in-theatre?

Therefore when making a model of say an SAS one, should chips in the sand paint show green paint underneath?

Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/12/2019 at 23:09, railroadbill said:

Great weathering, very impressive model and the sand on the wheels looks very realistic.   One thing that has occurred to me although I've never found the answer.  Were Willys Jeeps painted olive drab as a standard colour when leaving the factory, then ones used in desert conditions then over-painted (say) sand colour before being sent for use? Or repainted  in-theatre?

Therefore when making a model of say an SAS one, should chips in the sand paint show green paint underneath?

Just a thought.

All Jeeps were factory finished in Olive Drab.

Camo paint was applied in theatre.

I have a real one, a 1942 Ford GPW, ex British Airborne.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2