Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

1666341631_spitfire3_small.jpg.b1b947547d4dca1c76bea97f6a3f2afd.jpgP1030142small.jpg.0a8d28798dc80eafb1f38c12d8ca5170.jpg2110437333_spitfire1_small.jpg.89d4fede15895701f324d18107beb861.jpg1557104819_DuxfordSpitfire_small_.jpg.76e338a4953ce0d133d8bc68f43b0500.jpg

Spitfire F.24 VN485 Duxford

Spitfire F.24 pilot: "Arrrgh! Sir, every time I prepare my Spitfire for a flight, other Spitfire boys get on the runway before me! (sob!)"

Grizzled old Squadron leader: "There there, Hoskins! Just go and have a nice cup of tea in the mess, everything will be alright."

The sun having come out for a while, I took this Revell 1:32nd scale Spitfire F.24 outside for some pictures, having just about finished it.

Sprayed with Halfords Aluminium acrylic paint and then lacquer (after decaling) apart from the black anti-dazzle strip, to represent high speed silver.  I wanted to try that out as I've got a couple more aircraft in the pipeline (Airfix 1:48 meteor and 1:72 venom)  that also need to be HSS.

I've left the gun barrels off because this was inspired by F.24 VN485 at Duxford.  That's been painted in  what looks like fairly matt aluminium, but most other 1950's aircraft I've seen in museums in high speed silver have been very glossy. Doesn't mean they were like that in service, of course, but may well have been polished up before flight.  Hunters in camo  look very glossy.

Revell  used the old Matchbox moulds, so the kit's been around for quite a while.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I've a revell 1/32 tornado ADV F2, that's part converted in to a F3, on the ground, radome open ( guess what I worked on) still in progress to be fully converted . 

A Matilda tank Tamiya 1/35, like grand dad went to war in. Not yet started, 

A hurricane  spitfire pair 1/32 as per a great uncle flew. To be built. 

And a 304mm to the foot sailing boat,  being rebuilt,  I now need 175kg of lead.. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

This is an astonishing number of really nice models, Darius. Are you still building them? It looks like many years of work.

Hi Barry,

I have been building 1:48 scale aircraft And vehicle kits for the past 30 years or so.  Less so lately as model railways have taken precedence.

I sold off a large part of my kit stash a couple of years ago but kept a few “favourites” that I may get round to building...

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3

P1020844small.jpg.33cb7b35c34cc6084385f89629634f5b.jpgP1020846small.jpg.a9663ac3cf654b369dfdf13b26f0a3ab.jpg

I'll raise you another Spitfire. This is a Mk IX in Danish service post WW2.

I built this some years ago.  It was the first aircraft model I'd made for a long time. I'd read about using artists paints like raw umber, burnt sienna and Payne's grey  as weathering washes and wanted to try that sort of thing out - I wondered if weathering techniques used on model planes and armour might work on railway trucks etc.

The kit is the really old Airfix Mk IX that goes back to the 1960s (or earlier?)  I'd made them when I was at school and had an idea of  making one or two  re-released kits that I'd done long ago.

I also wanted to try painting it with an airbrush,  add scratch built cockpit detail, use vac-formed canopy, Tamiya smoke for exhaust stains and so on.

I modified it with cropped wings and a pointed tail. I also had to paint the markings myself (think I painted roundels on transfer sheet and then applied them).

So it was an upgrade to an old favourite vintage kit that Airfix were still selling and trying out some new (to me) techniques. Airfix have brought out a much better Mk IX since of course.

Aftere I built this one I also built several other vintage Airfix kits of types I'd made years before, such as the Auster, Lysander and DH Comet.   

Prototype:

The H.F. MkIXe Spitfire was powered by the  Merlin 70 engine with a 2 stage supercharger arranged for high altitude performance.

38  H.F. Mk IXe Spitfires were supplied to  Denmark between 1947 and 1948,  numbered 41-401 to 41-438. They also had 3 PR Mk XI Spitfires.

My  1:72  scale model is of  41-420  which originally had RAF serial RK 889  and was built in October 1944.  It reached Denmark in October 1948.  It was written off in  November 1954  after a forced landing.

The radio aerial was a much later addition and came from my grand daughter's comb...

• Like 7