Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

On 22/06/2020 at 15:19, Georgeconna said:

Just Completed My a Puffer for My Father, 1/24 Scale Mountfleet. 1st Voyage yesterday, smoke unit was not operational due to a faulty swtich

615_1584.jpg

615_1582.jpg

615_1590.jpg

615_1578.jpg

616_1609.jpg

615_1596.jpg

Just having another look at your pictures,  looks very good on the water.  The weathering and rust stains make it look very realistic.  I like the shot with SS Talacre (I think?)  in the distance.  Water is just right as well.

• Like 5

On 28/06/2020 at 08:25, Giles said:

And you corrected the bridge structure!

TBH I actually did not realise it was wrong it just looked completely wrong in the instructions and the pictures I had seen of other chaps builds. Looks the better for it anyhow. It was after a chap sent me a picture of the real deal that I became aware of it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I can get the picture to embed, this is a Jaguar E-type built from an Airfix 1:32 scale kit.  The kit itself i quite old and basic; I added aftermarket wire wheels and some extra details made from nickel silver wire.  I'm particularly proud of the windscreen wipers as they were soldered together from two pieces.

y4mQmETg7Vp5PwuFuhagMcZ4pDgrMb4ycqI0sFy8

I added some sliver paint to represent the heater control on the passenger side of the dashboard and the rear view mirror.  The holes in the steering wheel (there should be a lot more really) were drilled out with a fine bit in a pin vice.

y4moBfH_pTs6YPiZCSlAbd5VVNMZ064BXHxYZNsj

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
On 11/05/2017 at 16:13, Barry Ten said:

I agree that planes (or any non-railway) subject are a great way to get the mojo back, or just keep your modelling fresh. Personally I like the fact that these models can be regarded as self-contained projects, they're not like building a layout where there are dozens or hundreds of individual models needed to build the big picture. Once you've finished a plane, you can throw the box away, stand back and admire the model which you've seen from start to finish.

I'm just trawling back through this thread and this just perfectly sums up my output at the moment.  My layout project - even the micro that it is - was just getting in the way around the house so has returned to storage.  I've been working on a few of my earliest Airfix aircraft, some of which date back to nearly 40 years ago.  Most got finished, few got painted and almost none got finished with decals etc., but I throw nothing away and have managed to find most of the missing parts.  I've been starting with some Series 1s, keeping it simple and will eventually work up to the Sunderland....... but at least something is getting finished and I haven't enjoyed anything so much in ages as just sitting out at the garden table in yesterday's sunshine, painting model aircraft.

Will post some images when they are, err, finished.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Finally got round to finishing my 1:24 Renault TN6. 

Made from an early Heller kit it had a few missing parts - and some very interestingly shaped large sections of rather brittle plastic!

The trickiest part was making a completely new windscreen, along with trying to straighten out the floor and platform. 

Any way I looked at it the other day an thought I must finish it, so here it is.

Renault 1.jpg

Les

Edited by Unicorn1
forgot to mention the scale
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Splendid job, what a delightfully characterful model. Congratulations on finishing it.

Thank you Barry for your comment.

The kit was a 'bargain' on a well known auction site.

A fair bit of boiling water was involved in trying to straighten up the bigger parts!

Also many of the bodywork part are supplied as clear plastic - which involves two lots of masking when painting.

I should know better but I'm now tempted to get another Heller kit of a late '20s Renualt van to keep it company.

Les

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Unicorn1 said:

Thank you Barry for your comment.

The kit was a 'bargain' on a well known auction site.

You've had me looking on a well known auction site, after seeing your model. It was the "Place Pigalle" that did it for me, evoking memories of fine times in Paris!

Edited by Barry Ten
typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Further work on CVN-68:

nimitz.jpg.fed505560d55a89fb8462acdff68da91.jpg

The carrier itself is now complete, including all the antennae which now make it very awkward to move around. I've also discovered that it's a swine to photograph, as being so big, there's always something in the background which looks like it's growing out of it!

The kit came with around 20 service vehicles, some of which are in the process of being painted:

nimitz1.jpg.7f9b2ff8ddde9a886f0044b70721b1ff.jpg

And I've made s start on the aircraft, by assembling three of the F4-J Phantoms, each of which contains 15 parts! 3 down, 37 to go... and they'll all need paint and decals.

nimitz2.jpg.b422ad1e35e249ca1247d638958bd4e3.jpg

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Unicorn1 said:

Crikey!

Would many of the planes usually be stored below the deck?

Les

The Tamiya kit for the Enterprise comes with 80 planes!  From what I've read, and seen in photos, almost every square inch of deck space (and presumably below deck space) is utiilised during normal operations, such that it's normal to put a few aircraft in the air just to be able to move things around on deck.

This is an interesting article for anyone so inclined:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3559/how-to-land-a-fighter-on-an-aircraft-carrier-on-a-stormy-night

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/07/2020 at 15:07, Northmoor said:

I'm just trawling back through this thread and this just perfectly sums up my output at the moment.  My layout project - even the micro that it is - was just getting in the way around the house so has returned to storage.  I've been working on a few of my earliest Airfix aircraft, some of which date back to nearly 40 years ago.  Most got finished, few got painted and almost none got finished with decals etc., but I throw nothing away and have managed to find most of the missing parts.  I've been starting with some Series 1s, keeping it simple and will eventually work up to the Sunderland....... but at least something is getting finished and I haven't enjoyed anything so much in ages as just sitting out at the garden table in yesterday's sunshine, painting model aircraft.

Will post some images when they are, err, finished.

A progress report; the Wildcat is finished.  It's taken about 35 years from original purchase, so "unhurried".  Not perfect, the pilot and cockpit are unpainted - the canopy was glued on too well to risk trying to get it off - there is a small amount of paint bleed onto the canopy, it is missing the tail wheel which I haven't found in the spares tins and should really have yellow prop tips, but this is probably as near DONE as any of my model aircraft ever got.  I cannot overstate how good something a little job like this is for our mental health; finishing something small but creative and being able to look back and say, "I made that".

IMG_5333.JPG.414bd7932d99c46b3e0ddaca0e9464d2.JPG

A Hawker Tempest is part-way through the paint shop and last night the Sea Harrier got undercoated with Halfords rattle can primer (which may be about 30 years old as well).

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another gem from the Gerry Anderson stable - Japanese modeller Ben Komoa has made his own resin based kit of Ed Straker's car from 'UFO', these pics are a couple of years old but I believe he (or possibly another Japanese modeller) is hoping to make the kit available at some point....

UFO ED CAR BEN KOMOA 2017.jpg

UFO ED#1.jpg

UFO ED#2.jpg

UFO ED#3.jpg

• Like 12

1620557582_Lysander1.jpg.12bd7953467ce06153e38741fde47ca7.jpg37053204_Lysander2.jpg.20490a01199864f8377005ad13b42089.jpg1337195023_Lysander5_edited-1.jpg.6e142262cc367ebea47b1e1a8fa2f3aa.jpg

1:72nd  Westland Lysander MkIIIa  (SD) from Airfix kit.  Always thought this was a fascinating aircraft.

Having just looked it up, it appears this kit was first released in 1973 (in a plastic bag) and re-released (in a box) in 1998, then again with a new box in 2008.

There was a really early Airfix Lysander, as I can just about remember making one when I was perhaps 5 or 6 or so with a lot of help from my dad. Reckon that one was my very first plastic kit. So building  a Lysander recently seemed appropriate...

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I found some prints of my efforts at model photography in the '80s when I was a military modeller, of figures and vehicles.  Taken in natural light with backscenes cut from magazines or calendars.  I can't remember the makers of the figures.

1. Red Army Cossack flag bearer:

2. Mid-18th century Austrian Hussar:

3. French Hotchkiss light tank on manouevres, autumn 1939

COSSACK EDITED.jpg

HUSSAR2 EDITED.jpg

HOTCHKISS EDITED1.jpg

Edited by petethemole
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 31/07/2020 at 22:50, railroadbill said:

1620557582_Lysander1.jpg.12bd7953467ce06153e38741fde47ca7.jpg37053204_Lysander2.jpg.20490a01199864f8377005ad13b42089.jpg1337195023_Lysander5_edited-1.jpg.6e142262cc367ebea47b1e1a8fa2f3aa.jpg

1:72nd  Westland Lysander MkIIIa  (SD) from Airfix kit.  Always thought this was a fascinating aircraft.

Having just looked it up, it appears this kit was first released in 1973 (in a plastic bag) and re-released (in a box) in 1998, then again with a new box in 2008.

There was a really early Airfix Lysander, as I can just about remember making one when I was perhaps 5 or 6 or so with a lot of help from my dad. Reckon that one was my very first plastic kit. So building  a Lysander recently seemed appropriate...

I like the look of that.... I have fond memories of building the larger scale Matchbox Lysander kit in 1981, sadly my dad broke it when he sat on it! Always fancied doing another one.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...