Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

• RMweb Premium

My 1/18th scale scratchbuilt stick 'n tissue Sopwith Tabloid R/C electric flying model about 17in span. The 'aluminium' panels are balsa for the decking and cowling, sanded and filled a dozen times, and 5 thou plastikard for the side pieces, all polished with Rub 'n Buff. 

P1040703.JPG.96c011388818e0c2085d52e5c54622cc.JPG 

P1040706.JPG.a7bc3432808e3c93f4cf8023a6c45b77.JPG

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see more R/C modelling.

I posted this over on the Lockdown modelling thread, but progress on my 1/8th P51D:

mustang.jpg.130fa9535c51e5fc5418dfda760e7520.jpg

This has been a joint project with another modeller during Lockdown, as we're in the same support bubble. I built the fuselage and wing halves, he then joined the wings and fared them into the body.. This week he's installed the retracts and aileron servos and is hoping to get the electric motor up and running.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

And just to prove that my modelling tastes are truly catholic, here is my 7mm/ft scale scratchbuilt R/C Clyde Puffer.

906758949_Picture147.jpg.0164a75741e0fa130124debf561ceaa9.jpg

Dave

Great stuff Dave.  Just watched “The Maggie” on dvd - a reminder of a gentler and far less frenetically paced world.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Anyone old enough to remember ...

Guilty as charged - used to be on the kids morning TV during the summer hols along with “The Flashing Blade”, “ The Double Deckers”, “The Banana Splits” and “Why Don’t You...”.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Love the hanger, is it a kit or scratch-built?

Hi Phil.  

It’s a laser cut card kit that I found on eBay a few years ago.  I added additional structural bracing to the roof trusses - and interior lighting.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, that reminded me that I've got one (1/72) stashed somewhere unmade. I'll have to get round tuit and find a suitable base. Even in 1/72 its quite sizeable. Mostly laser cut card with corrugated plasticard for the roof.

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2020 at 16:24, Darius43 said:

Guilty as charged - used to be on the kids morning TV during the summer hols along with “The Flashing Blade”, “ The Double Deckers”, “The Banana Splits” and “Why Don’t You...”.

Sadly for me it was the announcement, "Viewers in Wales will have their own programme".

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...

dh_88_1_full_pixels.jpg.9a74bbd30393a1c70af3b89d8164c354.jpg

dh88_2_edited-1.jpg.cc9f4d2352b7ec90068bdeb4182985ef.jpg

Did most of this pre-lockdown, but I couldn't find the undercarriage bay doors.  When they turned up, I fitted them and now it;s done. It's the old Airfix kit that got re-released (again) fairly recently. It actually had the top of the cockpit solid, with the heads of 2 pilots moulded on, design is that old, so I cut that away to open out the cockpit.  I think the prototype is a very attractive and interesting design,  and they were  obviously very successful with long distance pioneer flights.  Beginning of the De Havilland twin engined monoplane dynasty.

I'd made the kit (from the same moulds, presumably!) back when I was a schoolboy and did such things, so as it was only £1.99 in an Airfix black Friday sale several years ago, had to have one for the stash.

It was also a tryout for Humbrol gloss varnish from spray can, which worked ok imho.  (The red was Tamiya).

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

These are not super detailed models as they have to survive crashes. The Matra and Audi were body kits with chassis assembled to fit. The Oreca was painted but had bits missing so they had to be made from plasticard and filler.

The chassis was for a 1950s Ford Fairlane. 
F133AE91-1A65-4B55-ABBB-915B6A98318E.jpeg.7512ecebbd8ac9d0d3babe8d637cd11b.jpeg
Tony

• Like 10