Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

• RMweb Gold
On 01/09/2020 at 20:18, railroadbill said:

dh_88_1_full_pixels.jpg.9a74bbd30393a1c70af3b89d8164c354.jpg

dh88_2_edited-1.jpg.cc9f4d2352b7ec90068bdeb4182985ef.jpg

Did most of this pre-lockdown, but I couldn't find the undercarriage bay doors.  When they turned up, I fitted them and now it;s done. It's the old Airfix kit that got re-released (again) fairly recently. It actually had the top of the cockpit solid, with the heads of 2 pilots moulded on, design is that old, so I cut that away to open out the cockpit.  I think the prototype is a very attractive and interesting design,  and they were  obviously very successful with long distance pioneer flights.  Beginning of the De Havilland twin engined monoplane dynasty.

I'd made the kit (from the same moulds, presumably!) back when I was a schoolboy and did such things, so as it was only £1.99 in an Airfix black Friday sale several years ago, had to have one for the stash.

It was also a tryout for Humbrol gloss varnish from spray can, which worked ok imho.  (The red was Tamiya).

Lovely job there ;) 

I did have an interesting tip off about older Airfix Mouldings - go for the first run of the kit (white boxes), as there's little or no wear on the tooling and get aftermarket decals or a red rebox just for them.

• Informative/Useful 4

Thanks! Good tip about the older mouldings being better.  Having built a few aircraft recently that interested me, I've found that the logical kit to build was often from ancient moulds still going strong!  In fact the same kits I made as a teenager (or indeed younger).  The decals in newer releases are often much better than the originals though.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Help me out here, knowledgeable types.  As a youngster I remember starting and failing to finish a large scale kit for a Douglas Skyhawk - at least 1/48 and possibly 1/35th or 1/32nd. This would have been late 70s, but I can't remember who the kit was by.  Anyone remember what kits were on the market for this aircraft?

• Like 1

One of my very few regrets in life is that I never got to see a Space Shuttle launch so, as it is a while since I've done any non railway modelling, I've dug this monster out, a 1/72 scale model of the shuttle that I must have bought about 20 years ago and it has been sitting in a box ever since:

IMG_2289.jpeg

I've ordered a couple of decal sets for it, including a set that covers all the heat tiles that cover the bottom of the fuselage, it may take some time...

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, johndon said:

One of my very few regrets in life is that I never got to see a Space Shuttle launch so, as it is a while since I've done any non railway modelling, I've dug this monster out, a 1/72 scale model of the shuttle that I must have bought about 20 years ago and it has been sitting in a box ever since:

A shuttle is in my stash too. as a kid I had the Revell 1/144th kit of the 747 transporter and shuttle (with the fairing over the engines). I built the shuttle in a fit of enthusiasm, but never started the 747. I've long since lost the shuttle, but I've still got the rest of the kit! Hence I've acquired a 1/144 shuttle to complete it - although it won't have the fairing, unless someone does one as an after-market part.

Mine'll be Atlantis, as, not to rub it in, I did see it go up twice:

atlantis2.jpg.6171f252642e56013c5481daa5facf0b.jpg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

A shuttle is in my stash too. as a kid I had the Revell 1/144th kit of the 747 transporter and shuttle (with the fairing over the engines).

In my late teens, I had the launch tower kit which was massive (getting it home on the bus was a challenge).  I built it all and it was in my parents garage but I don't remember what happened to it...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Made a proper start on the shuttle, body halves are glued together and the rear panel is in place, wing halves and the tail are also glued together.  This is a very old kit and the fit isn't brilliant but I've done my best to get the seems as good as I can prior to filling and sanding but I suspect that there may be quite a bit of work involved in getting it all smooth.  The body sides also bow in quite a bit so a reinforcing frame is going to be needed.

IMG_2291.jpeg

• Like 8

Back in 2012 when I was still trying to find something that might interest my son enough to motivate him to put down his phone for 5 minutes (tried 1:1 and various scale motorbikes, planes, cars, trains as well as guitar, rugby, even Xbox gaming - all failed) I tried something I had been very keen on in the late 70's - 1/35th military modelling. Nope. He now claims "watching you tube videos" is a valid hobby...

Anyway, with him now finished school and off on gap year/studies I looked at the part-started Revell 1/35th Panzer V Panther and realising that he is now never going to want to finish it, thought I'd do it myself. Blast, having got this far I now feel a diorama coming on...

IMG_3809.JPG.11ea9a004d71a366726c2a2ae7a6e986.JPG

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

A few pics showing some progress on the Nimitz Air Wing 8 (code AJ).

nimitz1.jpg.761c0a1e1019c7b655dfe6c9899974b6.jpg

Phantoms and Intruders.

nimitz2.jpg.e49cef39ad73320c14ba3a48f8101e25.jpg

Two phantoms on the catapults and a pair of Vikings still waiting for decals.

nimitz3.jpg.4b229c459b768ec3af118a8155570af6.jpg

Two Skywarriors and a Vigilante.

nimitz4.jpg.24d0513379f2bd6f6b509dc0a625ab74.jpg

A Hawkeye.

nimitz5.jpg.6d6fd1a60a50ff80ace2e6f4294b988e.jpg

Side view of the ship - as much as I could fit in with my camera and the Nimitz on boxes in the hallway!

nimitz6.jpg.76ac2a8d42ed257bb733aaa060965afd.jpg

Forward view. 

Still to be completed, apart from the Vikings, are six Corsairs and a Sea-King.

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Gold
On 01/10/2020 at 02:08, Earwicker said:

Something I finished recently. Luftwaffe Phantom built from the 1/32 Revell kit and after market decals. This kit is just okay.

The panel work around the tail (and the patch painting overall) looks fantastic. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

Liked Earwiker's RF 4E (I think?) phantom, looks   like its had a lot of use but that overall sheen makes it look like it's still being well maintained.

Barry 10's Nimitz... wow.  Also, model must be enormous!

Its quite big but also painfully fragile, with all those antennae sticking out. Comparing to photos I took earlier in the summer, I can already see where I've lost one that will need replacing.  I think the deck antennae would be horizontal during normal operations but I've modelled them in the up position as they're just slightly less vulnerable that way.

I also ordered myself a copy of The Final Countdown which I watched last night for the first time since seeing it in the early 80s It was quite an interesting reference point for the model and I was pleased to see that some of my hull weathering looked close to how it was. Also interesting to see Air Wing 8 as it was in 1980, with Tomcats rather than Phantoms.

• Like 2

Current progress on the shuttle.  I've had to build in some cross members to stop the sides from bowing inwards.  Currently in the process of filling and sanding, using a new technique for filling the seams that involves a superglue/metallic pigment mix which I found on YouTube which has been somewhat of a revelation.  Lots of sanding required on the bottom to get the wing roots flush with the bottom of the fuselage.

IMG_2309.jpeg.97b70f4e55c117e9a0539388ada923ce.jpegIMG_2310.jpeg.f2ac504864614911b236ffed0a93e334.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

A few pics showing some progress on the Nimitz Air Wing 8 (code AJ).

nimitz1.jpg.761c0a1e1019c7b655dfe6c9899974b6.jpg

Phantoms and Intruders.

nimitz2.jpg.e49cef39ad73320c14ba3a48f8101e25.jpg

Two phantoms on the catapults and a pair of Vikings still waiting for decals.

nimitz3.jpg.4b229c459b768ec3af118a8155570af6.jpg

Two Skywarriors and a Vigilante.

nimitz4.jpg.24d0513379f2bd6f6b509dc0a625ab74.jpg

A Hawkeye.

nimitz5.jpg.6d6fd1a60a50ff80ace2e6f4294b988e.jpg

Side view of the ship - as much as I could fit in with my camera and the Nimitz on boxes in the hallway!

nimitz6.jpg.76ac2a8d42ed257bb733aaa060965afd.jpg

Forward view. 

Still to be completed, apart from the Vikings, are six Corsairs and a Sea-King.

Wow.superb. I really do fancy building a Trumpeter kit. they do look very good with lots of aftermarket add on details but I am already out of space for such things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Stuff everywhere. Most of the spraying green and black done, All decals fitted, most of  decals sprayed with varnish, wheels and rollers painted. Hopefully get everything else finished tomorrow; a bit more varnish to spray, a bit more black to spray, and then start building hopefully tomorrow with more building and touching up on Sunday. 

It might be finished next week.

IMG_1002.jpg.ec12d160caba2b1888e946e454107cd1.jpg

• Like 5