Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I like the look of that! Just a look on ebay as well. very tempting.

Try Pendle Princess. This model is far more accurate, it is a real Garret engine. The roller is a work of fiction because it uses an awful lot of Pendle Princess moulds.

IMG_0952.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/10/2020 at 00:45, 96701 said:

Stuff everywhere. Most of the spraying green and black done, All decals fitted, most of  decals sprayed with varnish, wheels and rollers painted. Hopefully get everything else finished tomorrow; a bit more varnish to spray, a bit more black to spray, and then start building hopefully tomorrow with more building and touching up on Sunday. 

It might be finished next week.

Ha! Best laid plans and all that. The weather here has been superb, so we got the garden tidied. Managed to get a few components fastened together, but nowhere near what I wanted to do. Anyway, might get a bit of tidying up on the paint front tomorrow on the rollers, and maybe start on a few other bits and bobs.

IMG_1005.jpg

• Like 9

I've never been the fastest modeller but I am making progress on the Shuttle.  First up the landing gear, I'm going to add some of the wires that were on the struts and I'll probably give it a light wash but, as the gear was generally very clean, that'll be it:

IMG_2324.jpeg.808c795e29ae7d8cab46a5215449138a.jpeg

Payload bay doors are having all the holes that were there for the working hinges filled.  Filled mainly with small bits of plastic strip with the super glue/pigment mix to finish:

IMG_2325.jpeg.d1e3293b40e17bdf1364ab2b5f40a011.jpeg

And I've slapped some paint on the nose section to see how well all of the filling of the panel lines and the thrusters had gone.  Over all, not too bad but a few places need a bit more filler:

IMG_2326.jpeg.08a08722903e43dc2d81f554cda893c8.jpeg

John

• Like 8

Decals arrived this morning, 5 sheets of A4 that should be fun to put down.

Held together by tape and a prayer, I've been making sure that the landing gear lines up and that all six wheels are on the ground.  She's a big bird, 1/72 MIG 15 for scale (built for my granddaughter a few years ago and part of the Hello Kitty Air Force, hence the colour scheme):

IMG_2333.jpeg.72b93154110f0faac4ace66e102da587.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 16/10/2020 at 22:09, johndon said:

Decals arrived this morning, 5 sheets of A4 that should be fun to put down.

Held together by tape and a prayer, I've been making sure that the landing gear lines up and that all six wheels are on the ground.  She's a big bird, 1/72 MIG 15 for scale (built for my granddaughter a few years ago and part of the Hello Kitty Air Force, hence the colour scheme):

IMG_2333.jpeg.72b93154110f0faac4ace66e102da587.jpeg

That's looking very impressive now. I'm sure the decals will be worth the trouble.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/10/2020 at 11:07, railroadbill said:

Liked Earwiker's RF 4E (I think?) phantom, looks   like its had a lot of use but that overall sheen makes it look like it's still being well maintained.

Barry 10's Nimitz... wow.  Also, model must be enormous!

F-4F...

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've painted and weathered the Tamiya KV-1:

tank1.jpg.806a5ce3a79491363c2d80e0b6b98afe.jpg

There are still a couple of etched details to add, before I finish the weathering.

I don't know if I should bother painting the wheel treads (or tracks) as I suspect the paint will get worn off in short order, so for now I've just done the hubs. 

I tried the dot filter method for this weathering, using water-soluble oils. 

https://finescale.com/online-extras/videos/2016/12/oil-dot-filter-weathering-paint-technique

Once I got going though, I mostly just splodged the paint on straight from the palette, and blended it in situ. i still need to work on the tones in a few areas.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Looks very nice, I’ve got the Pershing but it’s not been completed yet. I can get the engine sounds or movement but not both, so it’s stalled at the moment at the hull stage. I may get it out and seen what can be done.

The oil dot method looks interesting especially with the colours used. I’m going to give a go next time I get chance. 
Regards,

Robert

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robert

This may be a stupid question, but have you moved the tank out of "idle"? I couldn't get mine to move either, until I read the booklet and saw that there's a safety feature to stop it moving off uncontrolled. With mine, I have to move the throttle and throttle trim to zero, then back to neutral, otherwise all it does is rev without moving.

(Doesn't explain why you can get movement without sound, though, but maybe worth a mention).

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Barry,

Thanks for the advice, I’ll give it a try. Seem to remember trying everything and gave it to a fellow IPMS member for him to have a go but to no avail. I did read somewhere that Tamiya had tried to get too much out of the control system but I’ve seen videos on you YouTube of it working perfectly. I’ll give it another go and will just complete it whether the electronics work or not.

Unfortunately it’s stuck behind a load of ‘stuff’ and can’t be got to easily and I’ve got a few 1/72 aircraft to complete first, starting with an AZ model Mig17. 

Robert

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some progress on my 1/200 Iowa class battleship (Trumpeter kit with Pontos photoetch) with turret 1 finally complete and with a coat of primer which has highlighted that the blast bags certainly need some work doing on them as well as a couple of other refinements.  There are 57 parts making up this one turret. 

To give you an idea of size, the turret is about the same length as an 08 shunter in 4mm scale...

IMG_2392.jpeg.76d6212320ff48289941b84cdb27f7b6.jpeg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Here's another radio control P51 that my friend and I have been working on. This was a second hand model but we've redone some of the wiring. It's got working flaps and will have retractable undercarriage.

BigP51.jpg.2b42c889faaddee86842bba4ee2fc41b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Blast bags have been refined and built up in places with Mr Surfacer 1000 and the turret has now had it's camo colour painted on.  The camo is Measure 32 which did change over time but, at least initially was black and all the barrels of turret 1 were painted black.  I'll likely go over the blast bags with a slightly different colour black as they were rubber.

IMG_2394.jpg.61fe2085cecc4b07712659b5864153e2.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg.71a619dce1f6269e4d3e35e827b4b321.jpg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 12