Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

On 23/02/2021 at 00:30, 33C said:

And these are my favourites, models and prototypes....20210211_154829.jpg.25d172f52092eaf080c2698692e5d9f9.jpg20210211_154658.jpg.183aac7acf6daea52bb0af906bedde9a.jpg

20210211_155047.jpg

20210211_154922.jpg

I recently watched an interesting film on you tube of some "urban expolrer" type guys who found a field full of those MIG fighters just left to rot, possibly in Hungary. They had a good poke round and had a sit inside etc !

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

I recently watched an interesting film on you tube of some "urban expolrer" type guys who found a field full of those MIG fighters just left to rot, possibly in Hungary. They had a good poke round and had a sit inside etc !

It must have p!ssed off the Russians mightily when their satellite states threw off the shackles and some of them even joined NATO with all of that Soviet equipment some of which was likely secret.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It must have p!ssed off the Russians mightily when their satellite states threw off the shackles and some of them even joined NATO with all of that Soviet equipment some of which was likely secret.

Why do you think countries like India, who despite HUGE armed forces budgets and which we are quite friendly with, the UK exports almost no arms?  It's because they also buy Russian arms, hence there's a lot of Russian military engineers always hanging around military bases.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

And it gave everyone in the West the chance to marvel at the quality of the welding on Russian armoured vehicles. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Keeping up with the Gerry Anderson theme, I've done a fair bit more on the Zero-X I started in January.

I've added a wrap of plastikard around the engine group at the rear:

zerox1.jpg.6368c3c4e8435f826451203aa3572dfb.jpg

The main body has been reprofiled to get it to the right shape all the way along, and then panel lines reinstated.

zerox2.jpg.6209d64d3bef1b4d0396d53429a2a8f4.jpg

Where the body tucks in and out, below, there's a recessed detail which needs to be added. I cut away a series of 8mm wide grooves and then have begun laying in plastic card (the same stuff as at the rear).

I've also sunk a mounting screw into the body as there's no provision for fixing the wings on.

zerox3.jpg.76b8ff750def52633c1e1004d6934bad.jpg

A screw goes down through the top of the number 1 wing. When fully engaged it's recessed into the wing so won't be too visible. i 

considered using magnets but worried that it would only take a knock to dislodge the wing. The other one will be secured under the body by similar means.

zerox4.jpg.2ee708ef1fb13a1f4c1256bc384beb15.jpg

Once I'm happy with the main body, I'll move onto the scary part of sawing off the whole front part to make the Mars Excursion Vehicle detachable!

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

23 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Found a hangar full of MiGs in Reno, NV, back in 1997....

97-210.JPG.24ace72a8edfab6f508101a07cbab4af.JPG

Several more outside as well!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

Those are in top condition by the looks of it they'd fly !

It was the first "organised" (in the loosest sense of the word) aviation tour that I had been on so wasn't too clued up on the Aviation scene at that time, having lost interest for several years after being taken to airshows in the 60's and 70's. Appears someone in the US had decided to cash in on the free market in sales of such things post 1990 and had bought a squadron of ex Czech MIGs after they were withrawn from service!

Lots of the older variants there as well...

97-209.JPG.35be9b3277c0379c3491ee743f94bdac.JPG

Another trip to Hungary later that year produced similar hordes there, but particularly of ex Warsaw Pact military vehicles, just lined up in fields!

There was a company here in the UK who did something similar with former Warsaw Pact tanker lorries that assembled en-masse at the former Eye Airfield in Suffolk awaiting sale. Don't know how many they actually sold though....

• Like 6

Having got back into 1/35 modelling after a gap of about 45 years as the result of buying a few Tamiya tanks from what used to be termed "pawnbrokers" in past years, I'm currently working on a (peacetime) diorama of a Munich streetscene with a tram and a few road vehicles.

Apart from being amazed at the variety of kits now available and their rather detailed nature compared with what was available in the early 70's, here are a couple of kits I've completed awaiting the full diorama to be constructed...

DSCF5044.JPG.294cb20825473812594edd44b87a76e7.JPG

DSCF5045.JPG.9777f5d01cda419ba2218ae58552762e.JPG

What is more amazing is the fact I can still paint insignia/buttons on uniforms some 45 years on!!

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

It was the first "organised" (in the loosest sense of the word) aviation tour that I had been on so wasn't too clued up on the Aviation scene at that time, having lost interest for several years after being taken to airshows in the 60's and 70's. Appears someone in the US had decided to cash in on the free market in sales of such things post 1990 and had bought a squadron of ex Czech MIGs after they were withrawn from service!

Lots of the older variants there as well...

97-209.JPG.35be9b3277c0379c3491ee743f94bdac.JPG

Another trip to Hungary later that year produced similar hordes there, but particularly of ex Warsaw Pact military vehicles, just lined up in fields!

There was a company here in the UK who did something similar with former Warsaw Pact tanker lorries that assembled en-masse at the former Eye Airfield in Suffolk awaiting sale. Don't know how many they actually sold though....

Drifting off topic, but on the "No Such Thing As A Fish" podcast before Christmas they mentioned a fact that had been sent into them, that briefly Pepsi owned one of the largest war fleets on the planet in the 1990's.  Apparently they'd been doing a trade deal with the Soviets, and in lieu of payments at one point, they did a trade deal that made Pepsi briefly one of the strongest military powers on the planet in terms of numbers of destroyers and submarines on their books... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48343589

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Drifting off topic, but on the "No Such Thing As A Fish" podcast before Christmas they mentioned a fact that had been sent into them, that briefly Pepsi owned one of the largest war fleets on the planet in the 1990's.  Apparently they'd been doing a trade deal with the Soviets, and in lieu of payments at one point, they did a trade deal that made Pepsi briefly one of the strongest military powers on the planet in terms of numbers of destroyers and submarines on their books... 

Interesting article,  also how much bartering goes on, especially with Iran avoiding sanctions. (even more off topic but very revealing).

Some years ago probably early-mid 90s, I remember going to traction engine rallies where a few obsolete Warsaw pact tanks had turned up that had been bought and imported into the UK.  Own your very own T54....

• Like 2

There's a T34 on a bit of waste ground in Peckham ( or thereabouts) the bloke who owns the patch of land bought it for his son apparently, and it's a local landmark, it gets various psychedelic paint jobs occasionally.

I wonder how much he paid for it ?

87_big.jpg

Edited by Porkscratching
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ben B said:

There is a story from not long before the fall of Ceaucescu(sp?) in Romania, where they proposed paying for a foreign contract (for something like heavy engineering equipment) in what was virtually the last thing they had of any value to the outside world, which was strawberry yoghurt.

• Funny 1

36 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

There is a story from not long before the fall of Ceaucescu(sp?) in Romania, where they proposed paying for a foreign contract (for something like heavy engineering equipment) in what was virtually the last thing they had of any value to the outside world, which was strawberry yoghurt.

Didn't they try to partially pay for their BAC 111s with vegetables? I'm sure I watched a BBC documentary on Ceausescu that mentioned something along these lines.

(I flew into Bucharest on one - the pilot hit the runway so fast the overhead lockers burst open and the emergency lighting came on :unsure:)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Hi Northmoor,

That's nothing !

I planed a door and reset its hinges the other day for a hand made fruit bowl.

500937230_image0(2).jpeg.df5065f14914d7588ffb5fdf56729cf5.jpeg

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

There's a T34 on a bit of waste ground in Peckham ( or thereabouts) the bloke who owns the patch of land bought it for his son apparently, and it's a local landmark, it gets various psychedelic paint jobs occasionally.

I wonder how much he paid for it ?

87_big.jpg

You can see an earlier paint job from 2006 here. The location is shown there as well - should you need it!

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/25875173#

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

More work on the Zero-X:

I sawed through the body to make the MEV detachable:

zerox6.jpg.d6513648790133125383531c6a832cf9.jpg

Screws were fitted to fix it all back together:

zerox5.jpg.fe4a17f76001d6161685f42a9bd13655.jpg

Handily, these are in the same place as rocket exhausts, so they can be disguised later on. The cutout shape in the hull also makes it easy to get a screwdriver in, which makes me wonder if this was how they did it on the filming model.

I then turned my attention the to the MEV, which doesn't have a front in the kit as it's meant to have the nosecone fitted on permanently. I wanted to make the nosecone detachable so the front profile had to be built up from plastic card, then sanded to shape:

zerox7.jpg.549ca700dcdffa3fe59034d3a89a857e.jpg

There's still more to be done with the sanding and detailing, but in the meantime I've also begun milling out the solid underside of the nosecone so that it'll fit nicely over the MEV:

zerox8.jpg.a7b22b12bc5de3dc1d1a14ddc54c1e94.jpg

• Like 6