Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

Q about the IJN scene, wouldn't the large hammerhead be rail mounted? The one at Victoria Graving Dock was, and was of a similar vintage. (it strikes me as being a bit unusual, given the constraints of naval dockyards that a fixed crane would be used over a rail mounted one). The guns should be at the same level...some gunners mate 1st class would be loosing his MIND if they weren't when the ship was in port. It's a lovely little 'can though :)

Fabulous standard of modeling,

James Powell

Lots of nice modelling in this thread!

Personally, I do not feel that models of railways are in any way superior to other subjects by default.

Quality mdodelling is quality modelling.

And railway modellers has a lot to learn from other modelling communities. Take painting and weathering for instance, the military modellers have deloped skills and techniques that are far more advanced.

I enjoy building non-railway subjects, but they are from the same era and area as my train models.

Here is an example, an Fordson grader built from an white-metal kit. I added some details like the cab, toolbox and fuel drum.

grader_fini_03_W.jpg

grader_fini_02_W.jpg

grader_fini_01_W.jpg

Regards, Hauk

• Like 13

Q about the IJN scene, wouldn't the large hammerhead be rail mounted?

Probably but not always, I do have a couple of pics of fixed hammerhead cranes.

The guns should be at the same level...

You got me there - the plastic barrels were replaced with brass ones and I really couldn't be bothered with the hassle of getting them all exactly level :)

Fabulous standard of modeling

Cheers

John

Q about the IJN scene, ... The guns should be at the same level...some gunners mate 1st class would be loosing his MIND if they weren't when the ship was in port.

Unless, of course, they were doing maintenance that involved the elevating mechanisms... I'm pretty sure the IJN wasn't one of the navies whose idea of maintenance was making sure everything was perfectly lined up and then putting a new coat of paint on it...

Back on topic, there is a 1/144 Kilo class submarine sitting on my workbench at the moment, waiting for its next coat of paint.

Adrian

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here's my latest effort, nearly finished apart from some small decals, aerial details and a touch of weathering to bring out the panel lines:

post-6720-0-46834600-1350400281.jpg

post-6720-0-29337400-1350400313.jpg

It's the Hasegawa 1/48th P 51-D Mustang as currently issued with Tuskegee decals. There are two decal options in the kit, both Tuskegee planes, but predictably I built the one which had the smutty nose art. I bought it not really knowing much about the quality of the model but it seems to be regarded as a decent rendition of a Mustang, and it went together very well apart from a few small issues which were my own fault and could easily be avoided on a second build. I reckon it took me about six weeks from start to finish, on and off, so not bad value for a kit that cost a shade under 30 pounds from Model Zone.

There are some absolutely brilliant Mustang builds on the web, some of which have very complex paint schemes. I think I would quite like to build another one, perhaps trying the well-regarded Tamiya 1/48th kit for a change.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

I went through what was, for the sixties, the inevitable Airfix Pocket Money Model phase, mostly aircraft (including the ubiquitous Spitfire and ME109) but a some military vehicles.

Since returning to model railways I have built one or two vehicles for my layout, but I do have some "non railway modelling" kits in various states of construction - various model Daleks from diverse manufacturers. Once I'm more comfortable in using my airbrush, I'll probably finish them off (and may post pics here)

iD

• RMweb Gold

Here's my latest effort, nearly finished apart from some small decals, aerial details and a touch of weathering to bring out the panel lines:

post-6720-0-46834600-1350400281.jpg

post-6720-0-29337400-1350400313.jpg

It's the Hasegawa 1/48th P 51-D Mustang as currently issued with Tuskegee decals. There are two decal options in the kit, both Tuskegee planes, but predictably I built the one which had the smutty nose art. I bought it not really knowing much about the quality of the model but it seems to be regarded as a decent rendition of a Mustang, and it went together very well apart from a few small issues which were my own fault and could easily be avoided on a second build. I reckon it took me about six weeks from start to finish, on and off, so not bad value for a kit that cost a shade under 30 pounds from Model Zone.

There are some absolutely brilliant Mustang builds on the web, some of which have very complex paint schemes. I think I would quite like to build another one, perhaps trying the well-regarded Tamiya 1/48th kit for a change.

How about building the Airfix 1/24th version instead.I made that in the late 70s .A lovely looking aircraft too.

• RMweb Gold

How about building the Airfix 1/24th version instead.I made that in the late 70s .A lovely looking aircraft too.

The trouble with 1/24th kits as you have to find room for them afterwards! The Hurricane takes up an entire shelf in my office, and I've

got an elderly Airfix Spit to do at some time (my mum found it up in the attic last year) but I'm trying not to do anything larger than

1/48 from now on.

Although I do fancy that Mosquito ...

and a Harrier would be good, too ...

Im not generally a "sci-fi" fan, but always loved Thunderbirds, so much so that I would try and spot all the toys and model kit parts they used to make the background vehicles when I was young, I obtained some of the toys later with a view to recreating some of the models to the same studio scale using the same parts which took a lot of research.

research all the plastic kits available, toys and 1960s household items and then obtaining them and so far ive built quite a few, they are quite large and take up a lot of space so Thunderbird 2 and Fireflash will be when I have the space.

I later took them to a convention and met some of the people who actually built and designed the originals aswel as Gerry Anderson who where impressed.

quite hard to get right if your as fussy as me as there are hardly any photographs so just go by the dvd screengrabs, but if you can identify as many of the kit parts they stuck on them such as from airfix railway kits and obtain them then they act as a scale so you can draw up plans. takes a long time to build a replica of a model that probably took a few hours to create in the first place and where quite roughly built, but I wanted them to be like the studio model and not try and make them real.

post-27-0-00422700-1351877688.jpg

post-27-0-65971200-1351877706.jpg

post-27-0-16868100-1351877722.jpg

for those interested can see the originals in the first few minutes here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH-gD7ZIpZU

Edited by michael delamar
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just finished the latest project, my first non-railway model, a Revell 1:72 scale Airbus Military A400M 'Grizzly' (or 'Atlas') transport aircraft, decorated as Airbus Flight Test prototype EC-404:

post-7271-0-75193500-1353232898.jpg

post-7271-0-15448800-1353232920.jpg

post-7271-0-41866900-1353232942.jpg

post-7271-0-30467900-1353233013_thumb.jpg

I have detailed it with Cockpit, Landing / Taxi and Cargo Bay lights using LED's

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

WOW!

What a diverse bunch of modellers we are.

Personally my non railway distractions are of the aviation kind; WW2 aircraft in particular and the odd tank. Due to lack of space I prefer to model mostly in 1/72 or thereabouts but do have some larger scale projects in waiting. These again are WW2 ish aircraft, namely a PZL11 in 1/48, a Spitfire V to chase an ME109 across the modelling room ceiling (nowhere else to keep them) and a couple of 1/32 kits (Hurricane and ME109) I found going cheap and couldn't resist.

At the moment W Cdr Guy Gibson flies at a scale 60ft across the coffee table until I can find a more permanent home and I am stockpiling Hurricane kits with the aim of producing a few members of 303 squadron out of them as well as one or two from 302. These builds are on hold till my shelf putting up skills are tested and then they will have somewhere to live (fly) . Having spent my youth building models of aircraft on the ground, I now prefer in flight as there are no fiddly undercarriage parts to test my ageing eyesight and / or get broken. The only problem with this is Revell seem to think a pilot is an optional extra which I didn't realise till after purchase.

I'm not hankering after super detail in the aircraft dept, just the overall look and I am certainly enjoying looking up photos for inspiration.

I also have a hankering to build a ship (ORP Blyskawica in particular) due to having the honour of knowing some-one who served on her. That's another shelf to put up then!.... Need more walls!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

Here's my recently completed 1:48 RAF Mustang

That's great, Matto!

I spent today putting the last bits onto my own Mustang, after weathering it last week. In this pics it's clear that I should have done a better job with the drop tanks or whatever they are, but it's a bit late now...

post-6720-0-59701400-1356537404.jpg

post-6720-0-05867600-1356537432.jpg

post-6720-0-88043100-1356537494.jpg

I enjoyed this one so much I picked up the Tamiya kit to do another.

• Like 6

It's a great kit isn't it Barry - which other version have you bought?

Here's 2 more pics of mine, hope no-one minds me posting them, this is about the only modelling I'm able to do at the moment...

post-3171-0-76878000-1356733643.jpg

post-3171-0-53931800-1356733652.jpg

Edited by matto21
  • Like 3

That looks superb, Matto - mine wouldn't stand such a close-up! Mine's the Hasegawa P51, by the way. Do you know how good the Testors one is?

Thanks! Sorry, my mistake - I've just noticed your earlier post where you say it's the Hasegawa kit. Which Tamiya kit have you bought [or thinking of buying - they're superb kits]. I've never seen the Testors model. Did you spray the silver? That's one of the reasons I chose the RAF version, I don't think I could do an aluminium finish!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matto - the Tamiya kit is this one http://www.swannysmodels.com/P51d.html which I picked up recently at Hobbycraft. I noticed the Testors kit in Manchester's ModelZone a few weeks ago and wondered what it was like.

I brush painted the silver, then used weathering dyes and airbrushing over the top of it. I might try spraying the next one. I've also got a B17 and DC-3 to do in silver.

• 3 years later...

Apart from railways I also have an interest in modelling WWI aircraft in 1/72 scale. It's something that I only took up a couple of years ago and is the cause of painfully slow progress on my layout.

Royal Aircraft Factory R.E8. Built from the ancient Airfix kit but with added interior, rigging and other refinements.

RE8-5.jpg

Nieuport 11, as flown by Lt. Paul Tarascon of Escadrille N63, Verdun 1916. Home-made decals.

N-002.jpg

Royal Aircraft Factory F.E2b night bomber. Scratch built using plasticard and brass with propeller and wheels from Airfix spares.

F.E2b-Night-Bomber-051.jpg

Nieuport 17, as flown by Lt. Keith Caldwell of 60 Squadron RFC. Old revell kit modified and with home-made decals.

N17-008.jpg

Pfalz D.XII.

Pfalz-009.jpg

Aviatik (Berg) D.1

Berg1.jpg

Albatros D.1, as flown by Prinz Friedrich Karl, second cousin of Kaiser Wilhelm.

Alb1.jpg

Hannover CL.III

Hannover2.jpg

attachicon.gifPhoto-0535.jpg
This is probably a case of "biting off more than I can chew"! When I opened the box I couldn't believe it - the entire camouflage scheme is supplied as decals, designed to cover the whole aircraft. :O Just the thought of applying them all correctly is going to give me a few sleepless nights...One of the reasons it's still in the box, under the bed, with no plans to start building it in the near future.

Did you ever build it?

Here's one I did earlier...

Zep2.jpg

Zep1.jpg

Zep4.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Bandai Pendle Princess that I built about 25 years ago, and finally managed to get a display case for it last month!

post-7024-0-15933000-1455376017.jpg

post-7024-0-28273900-1455376034.jpg

post-7024-0-92133000-1455376509.jpg

(edited to get the last photo the right way round. D'oh.

Edited by 96701
  • Like 6