Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

Is anyone into other fields of modelling besides railways?

I do a fair bit of military modelling, mostly 1/35 tanks, but also the occasional plane.

Thought it might be a good idea to have a thread to show off what you've done.

Apologies if there is already such a thread somewhere :P

• Like 1

I've done all sorts of modelling besides railway modelling. The primary areas:

1/72 Aircraft

1/24 Race and Rally Cars

1/35 Military

1/43 Race and Rally Cars

1/285 Military (Wargaming)

Some of them can be seen in this photo (on the shelves in front of the books):

post-206-0-99900300-1312975423_thumb.jpg

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Its a good idea to 'look over the fence' at what is going on in other modelling disciplines. In the military modelling sphere in particular. In some cases models are produced in 1/76 scale and a lot is available in 1/72 that is useful for 1/76 scale. Among the items produced are things such as furniture and kitchen 'white goods' in resin, including a complete bathroom down to the loo brush and toilet roll, (they even have some young ladies to go in the bathwink.gif). In etched metal there are items such as coat hangers, spectacles and 'walkman' personal music centres as well as more furniture such as dining chairs and a bird cage. There is also some 'paper goods' such as posters and wallpaper and even some LP covers from the 1960's-80's reproduced photographically the same as 'Tiny Signs'.

A company called 'Bull Models' make some useful 1/76 scale vehicles in resin including a canteen van complete with tea mugs and NAAFI girls.

• Like 2

I used to build plastic kits – ships (1/600) and aircraft 1/72 and 1/48 – I won a competition as a teenager so I must have been OK at it but I've totally lost interest. I've been given kits from time to time and hate to admit that they've found their way onto on ebay…

I was introduced to and got heavily into wargaming in a range of scales and sizes including 1/1200, 1/285, 15/18mm, 25/28mm. I still paint historical wargames figures but I always had a very finite idea about exactly how much I wanted to collect to be able to game the eras/battles/games that interested me. I'm getting close to finishing that list after which I'll just do the odd piece as it takes my fancy rather than running a production line as I have been for several years. That hobby has taken up so much time that it's not something I want to continue to devote so much effort towards in 2012 and beyond as I'm keen to actively get back into railway modeling. I'm keen to try painting some of the Monty's range of railway figures sometime soon.

I also spent a good number of years building, flying and crashing radio control gliders. I loved the building aspect working over a plan with balsa and ply and enjoyed the finished product but have to admit I was never a very good pilot. I managed OK but always felt a bit nervous, too nervous in fact to really truly enjoy it. Too many crashes and too much rebuilding time finally put me off although I suspect I may pick this hobby up again one day.

Been an avid military modeller for many years. My first kit was a 1/72 Hawk in red arrow colours.

I build 1/35 Armour, 1/32 aircraft, 1/48 Armour and aircraft, 1/72 Armour and aircraft and anything else that I come across that interests me!

Military modelling has been a great help to me on railways, there is a lot to bring across, from weathering to scenics. Few pics I grabbed of whats in my cabinate at the moment, still got over 200 kits to build!

DSCF6758.jpg

DSCF6759.jpg

DSCF6760.jpg

DSCF6761.jpg

DSCF6762.jpg

DSCF6763.jpg

DSCF6765.jpg

DSCF6766.jpg

DSCF6767.jpg

Squirebev, I love the Kirov Airship, who produced that kit?

cheers

Matt

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A mate started a 1/72nd Revell spitfire, but abandoned it when it went wrong. I inherited the project and completed it - he got it back for Christmas:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=73564

This was my first finished model plane in years so it was a learning curve for me - I still need to get it back from him and fix that poor fitting canopy,

for instance.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=73565

Last week I was in Hobbycraft and on an impulse purchase bought a Tamiya 1/35th scale Panzer tank - where will it lead?

• Like 1

Last week I was in Hobbycraft and on an impulse purchase bought a Tamiya 1/35th scale Panzer tank - where will it lead?

I dunno! I've always fancied a model sample of every armoured vehicle type involved in the Battle of Kursk............

1/35 sale armoured vehicles are just right in terms of size and heft (I used to ballast them with 9mm bullets in the hulls). They can be detailed to death or left as they are with a nice paint job, you don't have to worry about how they'll run and they can be weathered as straight out the paint shop or completely shot up.....

Hmmm... maybe I should start collecting one or two.....

Best, Pete.

Some great stuff above, I love the Kirov as well!

I have a small pile of kits in the garage, but the few I've built have always ended up combined with railways:

gallery_7119_327_53461.jpg

Even these guys tend to hide in layout tunnels from time to time:

stealers.jpg

Current non-railway projects include a TSR-2 (started but not finished) and a 1:48 Do335A intended for a putative extension for the desert layout above. It's built and the cockpit is done, but I keep bottling out when I go to paint it. The winter weather is a convenient excuse...

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Occasionally Mr B?!! Your the one that started me up again!

Do like this one, really looks the part, must finish my BR52 and Leopold to go with it.

BarryTen, you asked where it will lead. Well its a long slippery slope, if your not carefully this happens!

DSCF7472.jpg

DSCF7473.jpg

DSCF7474.jpg

DSCF7476.jpg

DSCF7478.jpg

Lovingly known as expensive loft insulation by my Mrs!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

I dunno! I've always fancied a model sample of every armoured vehicle type involved in the Battle of Kursk............

I'm guessing that most of them are (or have been) available...

1/35 sale armoured vehicles are just right in terms of size and heft

The white metal Friulmodel tracks really add to the heft... they are an expensive option, but really add to the look of the tank as they hang prototypically.

http://www.friulmodel.hu/

Adrian

BarryTen, you asked where it will lead. Well its a long slippery slope, if your not carefully this happens!

Lovingly known as expensive loft insulation by my Mrs!

That's a fairly small collection... :laugh: I have a lot more 'projects' than that... :help:

Adrian

Previously it was 1/32 & 1/25 scale cars with me. Usually hot rods, customs, competition cars of various kinds (mostly British - stockers, grass track, rally, etc and usually based on Airfix 1/32 models) plus modified street. I dabbled in military modelling, softskins and figures, but not seriously. This was back in the 1960s & 1970s as I took up railways in 1982.

I have a stock of unbuilt kits that I occasionally think of asking my daughter to stick on Ebay but I still fancy building some of them, just as for a change. I've also painted a few Games Workshop figures, just for fun.

steve

Occasionally Mr B?!! Your the one that started me up again!

Now your just showing off Mr A. :rolleyes: You know you will never build them in your lifetime

They keep me company out in my shed on the long lonely nights!!

Depends how many more I buy. I have a feeling my lifespan is inversely preportional to the amount of kits I have, the more I buy the more likely the Mrs is to kill me! :help: :unsure:

Matt / angell328 - I notice a Tamiya British Quad Gun Tractor on one of your (well stocked) shelves.... is it a recent purchase / still available...? I built several of these many years ago and wouldn't mind doing one again, always had a soft spot for their chunky looks ;)