Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

I think you will find that they are hard plastic now.

Hi,

Are you talking about the 1/72 or 1/32 figures.

I do hope you are right about them being hard plastic as the soft plastic are to keep paint on. They used to do a Guards Marching Band if memory serves me right. I would like to incorporate a bandstand with the band playing when I build my next layout.

I mean these ones. The ones that used to be 00/H0 Scale according to the boxes. ;)

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000429/1000588/1479432/0/Airfix_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_People_military/prodlist.aspx

I did look online to see if there was any reviews and all I could find was an extremely poor box opening video that was more interested in the boxes and the fact it had soldiers in the box. No information on the actual figures.

I had them as a kid and reckon my nephew is the right age to try and turn into a modeller. He's been to a few model railway exhibitions.

I was thinking if I get a set of these and a few acrylic paints, then he can paint them with a bit of "help" from either me or his grandad (my brother). And he can help us build the tank as well.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Are you talking about the 1/72 or 1/32 figures.

I do hope you are right about them being hard plastic as the soft plastic are ###### to keep paint on. They used to do a Guards Marching Band if memory serves me right. I would like to incorporate a bandstand with the band playing when I build my next layout.

Yes I meant the 1/76 figures. When they were first introduced there was something called banana oil that you could coat them in to make them take paint. Currently if you have any of these soft plastic figures the trick is to give them a coat of dilute PVA. Regretably Airfix have never re-issued the Guards band or colour party. An alternative to Airfix is Roden who produce a large range of 1/72 military figures as well as some vehicles that can be used on model railway layouts.

• RMweb Premium

This was the video I meant. Nearly ten minutes without really saying anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4jLIsFwpBs

Jason

Looking at the video the figures are not of the soft plastic of the originals but neither are they of the hard polystyrene used for the kits. In fact it looks like the 're-used' plastic used by Dapol.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some of the Matchbox kits ended up with Revell as well.

Indeed. While most of the aircraft kits were rubbish and didn't return, many of the armour kits did. They can be spotted

easily as they are 1/76 scale, whereas most others are 1/72. Among the more interesting was the Churchill bridge-layer.

post-6821-0-82735400-1543174828_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

This was probably the most tedious masking job I have ever done.

post-494-0-44905700-1543176195.jpg

post-494-0-88805500-1543176166.jpg

It's one of those £3.50 Revell kits, an SE.5a, painted to represent a night fighter as flown by Lt. Cecil Lewis (author of Sagittarius Rising) during his time in Home Defence with 61 Squadron in 1918.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

attachicon.gifSe5a-nightfighter1.jpg

attachicon.gifSE5a-flight4.jpg

It's one of those £3.50 Revell kits, an SE.5a, painted to represent a night fighter as flown by Lt. Cecil Lewis (author of Sagittarius Rising) during his time in Home Defence with 61 Squadron in 1918.

I dread to think how long that took

Looking at the video the figures are not of the soft plastic of the originals but neither are they of the hard polystyrene used for the kits. In fact it looks like the 're-used' plastic used by Dapol.

I was thinking that.

They'll be suitable for my needs I reckon. It's not like I'm using them for a serious project, just for a bit of fun.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed. While most of the aircraft kits were rubbish and didn't return, many of the armour kits did. They can be spotted

easily as they are 1/76 scale, whereas most others are 1/72. Among the more interesting was the Churchill bridge-layer.

attachicon.gifM_01.JPG

Indeed, they also came with a diorama base the most useful being the one from the German 6 wheeled armoured car. This consists of a length of road with a detailed surface water drain, it also features a shell hole that is easily filled in.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifSe5a-nightfighter1.jpg

attachicon.gifSE5a-flight4.jpg

Those markings are often available as a transfer sheet.

• RMweb Gold

For those of a certain age, this one is from the hand of modeller Mark Craig...

attachicon.gifUFO MARK CRAIG 25125_o.jpg

Genuine studio models...

attachicon.gifUFO SD2.jpg

attachicon.gifUFO SD3.jpg

Brilliant to see those.

SHADO was meant to have more than one submarine but we only ever saw Sky Diver 1 and it was always in the right part of the ocean to intercept the UFOs. .... funny that.

I also couldn't figure out the logistics of getting the Mobiles into position so quickly, whenever a UFO came down in the woods somewhere. (see also: how did Spectrum manage

to stash away so many SPVs that there was always one nearby when Captain Scarlet needed to chase some Mysteron?). Never mind, ignore the logic and enjoy the models!

In a couple of episodes the Shado Mobiles were deployed from articulated trucks and a Hercules style transport aircraft... you're right though, it's funny how they always ended up in a dense forest just outside Slough... ;)

post-7638-0-71430200-1543247999_thumb.jpg

I've just started watching the whole series again, well the nights are drawing in aren't they...

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 7

Brilliant to see those.

SHADO was meant to have more than one submarine but we only ever saw Sky Diver 1 and it was always in the right part of the ocean to intercept the UFOs. .... funny that.

I always thought the same about Stingray - this organisation is supposed to patrol the oceans of the world, yet we only ever see this one submarine that they use for everything. Probably blew the rest of the operational budget on that lift that makes the buildings go underground and feeding the pet seal.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

M_01.JPG[/quote.

Nice job of the Churchill. The best matchbox aircraft was probably the h.p. heyford. It went together well. The only complaint was translucent decals.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This afternoon I have mainly been doing some woodwork, to be more precise, trying my hand at replicating a wooden bodied vehicle.

It's my first attempt at using oils to try and get a grained finish and so far I'm fairly happy with it.

Part assembled body/rear sprayed with buff as a basis for the next stage -

post-20303-0-07855900-1546028112_thumb.j

Sides also sprayed with base coat -

post-20303-0-24649000-1546028134_thumb.j

Next stage is applying the oils to try and replicate the wood panels and floor -

post-20303-0-91843500-1546028153_thumb.j

post-20303-0-53545900-1546028175_thumb.j

If it goes well I may consider using this method for coaching stock where applicable.

Grahame

• Like 13

As an adjunct to my railway modelling, I build and convert model vehicles to radio control (in 7mm scale). Various trucks and lorries which get loaded and unloaded on the layouts  The latest is this little  Mechanical Horse, which is now completed and finished, apart from a new false load bed that needs to be cut and painted to cover the battery in the trailer. It is full RC, and the whole thing works very nicely... 

46492968302_9f45193fde_z.jpg

1:43 radio controlled Mechanical Horse by giles favell, on Flickr

46544863071_aa8658bf6e_k.jpg

1:43 radio controlled Mechanical Horse by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

post-6720-0-48274500-1546605997_thumb.jpg

post-6720-0-00496300-1546606019_thumb.jpg

I got this kit for a Space:1999 Eagle a couple of Christmases ago. I built it last year, but only finished off the painting and decals over

this Christmas. It's a 22" replica of the 44" studio model, so it's a model of a model, including some details which were themselves

based around the Airfix Saturn rocket! The astronauts are Gemini capsule figures, as was the case with the studio model. It goes together

well and and was quite fun to build although a little repetitive in places. I did the pod in "rescue" stripes on one side and plain on the other, for

a bit of variety (nothing at all to do with me running out of masking tape, oh no).

• Like 7