Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

Hi,

Just checked back here so thanks to all those who reacted to the Zero post. Just realised that the notifications bit was turned off so hadn't notice so apologies. Note to self though - canopy masking..... :-( Got a Tamiya one tucked away - somewhere?

Been really keen to do this kit for all sorts of silly reasons - Airfix's new Spey Phantom in the only worthwhile finish - Fleet Air Arm. Interesting kit with lots of options.  Anyone interested in an in-depth review should have a look over on Britmodeller forum where those far more knowledgable than me have reviewed it. The decal sheet alone would fetch well north of a tenner if sold separately. Hence why I've pictured it on the stencil instruction sheet. Putting them on tested my eyesight and patience sorely but rather smug feeling when done. So without more ado Fly Navy !      Stu

PhantomFG1-1.jpg.bdf9a54b27b63a4b7f4e129fbd0fd099.jpg

PhantomFG1-2.jpg.984a0b915d0f07358eb65a70b46b0344.jpg

PhantonFG1-3.jpg.335edf26117e4c27acfe730250b6b080.jpg

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just a little project I have been working on the last few days .

I picked Lara up at a car boot sale many moons ago and she has been stuck ever since on her plain black plastic base on our windowsill amongst my partners resin dragons !

The figure is a "Player Select Lara Croft " from NECA ( the H&K MP5 is didnt come with the figure , that was from a poundshop action figure and fits her perfectly ) anyway after watching some excellent terrain building videos on Youtube it inspired me to make a diorama base for her.

So after a trip to the DIY store for a can of expanding foam and a tub of filler and a bit of chopping and carving and a bit of MDF for the base I have ended up with this. Just needs painting up and a few more details adding .

Cheers for looking , feel free to ask questions , comment , etc .

IMG_20190308_111408944.jpg.5a2783d40ddd08e6a1dd3be68e487c55.jpg

IMG_20190308_111421915.jpg.23864ac13a564f53579887b8807ca86d.jpg

IMG_20190308_202412878.jpg.9837f9a3b8a7cddcad06d9f8ad23ef16.jpg

IMG_20190308_202557174.jpg.c30f4e816c3f86c109ca811f369cee7c.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, lapford34102 said:

Hi,

Just checked back here so thanks to all those who reacted to the Zero post. Just realised that the notifications bit was turned off so hadn't notice so apologies. Note to self though - canopy masking..... :-( Got a Tamiya one tucked away - somewhere?

Been really keen to do this kit for all sorts of silly reasons - Airfix's new Spey Phantom in the only worthwhile finish - Fleet Air Arm. Interesting kit with lots of options.  Anyone interested in an in-depth review should have a look over on Britmodeller forum where those far more knowledgable than me have reviewed it. The decal sheet alone would fetch well north of a tenner if sold separately. Hence why I've pictured it on the stencil instruction sheet. Putting them on tested my eyesight and patience sorely but rather smug feeling when done. So without more ado Fly Navy !      Stu

Fantastic build and finish , and the sea grey scheme really suits the Phantom although I must admit a liking for the Vietnam era camo of the U.S ones .

Edited by col_kilgore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, lapford34102 said:

Hi,

PhantomFG1-1.jpg.bdf9a54b27b63a4b7f4e129fbd0fd099.jpg

PhantomFG1-2.jpg.984a0b915d0f07358eb65a70b46b0344.jpg

PhantonFG1-3.jpg.335edf26117e4c27acfe730250b6b080.jpg

That's a very good idea of crossing off the decals as you do them; it's never occurred to me!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

That's a very good idea of crossing off the decals as you do them; it's never occurred to me!

It's the only way to stay sane with these newer kits that include every single stencil. 

I've got a RN Phantom in my to do pile, I hope it turns out as good as this one.

• Agree 1

Hi,

Firstly thanks to all who have commented or tagged my post; appreciated.

16 hours ago, col_kilgore said:

Fantastic build and finish , and the sea grey scheme really suits the Phantom although I must admit a liking for the Vietnam era camo of the U.S ones . 

The masking for one of those has always made me pause and think - a Luftwaffe Norm82 F-4F would be easier :-)

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

With 250+ stencils to do it was really the only option. To be fair though I'm rarely that organised.

1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I've got a RN Phantom in my to do pile, I hope it turns out as good as this one.

Excellent, look forward to seeing it. Not sure if you're on other forums but my only advice would be to have a look at some build threads and see how others got on.

PM me if you need any links

Thanks again

Stu

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Stealth Fighter fact and fiction in 1:144 scale.

Before the real F-117A was revealed to the public there was much speculation about the existence of a secret stealth fighter, referred to as the F-19 as that number hadn't been used by the USAF. Several manufacturers produced kits in the 1980s of what they thought it would look like, about the only thing they got right was the colour.

These are both from Revell kits, the F-19 dating from 1988. I've added air intake covers to match those on larger scale models of it.

144_F117_F19.JPG.10a4d3be2bfd7f6e9b219806941814f9.JPG

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Like many others here I'm also into aircraft modelling. Like my railway modelling I'm just starting to get back into things but here are some pics of the kits stash that has been sitting about waiting & waiting & waiting. Mostly 1/48th

kit stash 1.jpg

kit stash 2.jpg

kit stash 3.jpg

kit stash 4.jpg

kit stash 5.jpg

kit stash 6.jpg

kit stash 7.jpg

• Like 11

10 hours ago, jetmorgan said:

Like many others here I'm also into aircraft modelling. Like my railway modelling I'm just starting to get back into things but here are some pics of the kits stash that has been sitting about waiting & waiting & waiting. Mostly 1/48th

kit stash 1.jpg

kit stash 2.jpg

kit stash 3.jpg

kit stash 4.jpg

kit stash 5.jpg

kit stash 6.jpg

kit stash 7.jpg

Very nice stash of kits there!!

• Agree 1

In my teens/early 20's I was also into 1/35th military modelling, mostly Tamiya. An interest in custom cars/hotrods increased after I passed my test and started driving with 1/24th Revell/Monogram car kits taking over, and strangely enough I can remember the very last tank kit and diorama I built in early 1989 (30 years ago! - where did the time go?!) with the Tamiya Marder III.  Since then I still look at the kits section when in model shops with nostalgia at the old Tamiya classics, and amazement at the range of stuff that's available these days either as kits or as conversions (like Accurate Armour). I've often thought that one day I'd like to go back and build a kit for old time's sake.

It looks like that day has come. Yesterday whilst browsing in a local model shop I found this;

Centurion.JPG.3d4daa1b41f3bffd72112443a5b76436.JPG

Back in the day I remember drooling over the Tamiya 1/25th tanks, but could never afford one as they were way out of my pocket money range. This one was described as "old new stock" and priced at an earth-shattering £25.  

Now I went into the shop looking for model railway scenic items and had no intention or particular desire to get back into military plastic kit modelling. But 25 quid?! Come on now, what's the catch? Well, the box is heavily shop-soiled and water damaged, the pictures on one end very faded having spent decades sitting on a shelf in sunlight, some of the sprue bags are open with parts off the sprues and rattling in the box (so no guarantee that some haven't been lost) and no instruction booklet.

So, ancient, battered, faded and maybe not all there? (a bit like me) Something of a risk; would he take £20 for it? He would. :-)

Some research this morning has revealed that this is the 1973 release kit and the retail price sticker found inside the box was for £96.50. The importers RIKO ceased trading in 1999 so this kit was probably sitting in the shop from the early 80's onwards.  I found a PDF of the original instructions on www.modelercorner.com with images of the sprues, have checked, and everything seems to be there.

So, the major question now is, is this yet another aquisition to add to the unbuilt kits cupboard, or should I have a go at it as a sort of 30th anniversary commemoration?

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Finished painting up the base and been experimenting with adding some jungle foliage .

The palms are from an old aquarium decoration and the vines / creepers are from an old  plastic plant that we had sat on a dusty shelf .

All in all a fun project , and  she looks a lot happier now that she has some exploring to do !

IMG_20190311_015423472.jpg.d55fadf2760abadc0d5d3c6b7eb13f02.jpg

IMG_20190311_015440940.jpg.d791401c26819db6aebfefea12423059.jpg

IMG_20190311_030513827.jpg.19b27aed4d979235611f4819d1aef704.jpg

IMG_20190311_101424184.jpg.9e8b0622e2541630b771cc8457ff7078.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/03/2019 at 10:28, TT-Pete said:

So, the major question now is, is this yet another aquisition to add to the unbuilt kits cupboard, or should I have a go at it as a sort of 30th anniversary commemoration?

I'd have a go at building it, if you can manage without the instructions. If you dig back into the thread I recently finished a 1.32nd German half track that I started in the 70s, which was very satisfying! I did have the instructions but over the years I had lost one or two parts, but nothing that really mattered. I think as modellers, too, we can be quite resourceful about making replacements, if all else fails.

edited to add; I didn't know 1/25th scale was ever a "thing".

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I'd have a go at building it, if you can manage without the instructions. If you dig back into the thread I recently finished a 1.32nd German half track that I started in the 70s, which was very satisfying! I did have the instructions but over the years I had lost one or two parts, but nothing that really mattered. I think as modellers, too, we can be quite resourceful about making replacements, if all else fails.

edited to add; I didn't know 1/25th scale was ever a "thing".

Yes, I've come to that decision too. :-)  Not decided yet whether to make it display only or go the whole hog with motorised remote-control though (had a funny 5 minutes last night where I thought "Hey, could make it radio controlled!!" before giving myself a stout slap about the face).

Tamiya made a range of big beastie 1/25 tanks; Centurion, Chieftan, Panther, Tiger I, Jagdpanther,  T34 and SU100. But even more I coveted the 1/16th models (particularly the King Tiger), huge great things with a price tag to match...

• Like 3

On 09/03/2019 at 15:40, lapford34102 said:

Excellent, look forward to seeing it. Not sure if you're on other forums but my only advice would be to have a look at some build threads and see how others got on.

I've done a bit of trawling on other forums - when I got back in to building aircraft models a year or so back I was quite surprised how many detailed build threads and reviews were out there. WIth loco kits you're lucky to find one. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 08/03/2019 at 22:26, col_kilgore said:

Just a little project I have been working on the last few days .

I picked Lara up at a car boot sale many moons ago and she has been stuck ever since on her plain black plastic base on our windowsill amongst my partners resin dragons !

The figure is a "Player Select Lara Croft " from NECA ( the H&K MP5 is didnt come with the figure , that was from a poundshop action figure and fits her perfectly ) anyway after watching some excellent terrain building videos on Youtube it inspired me to make a diorama base for her.

So after a trip to the DIY store for a can of expanding foam and a tub of filler and a bit of chopping and carving and a bit of MDF for the base I have ended up with this. Just needs painting up and a few more details adding .

Cheers for looking , feel free to ask questions , comment , etc .

IMG_20190308_111408944.jpg.5a2783d40ddd08e6a1dd3be68e487c55.jpg

IMG_20190308_111421915.jpg.23864ac13a564f53579887b8807ca86d.jpg

IMG_20190308_202412878.jpg.9837f9a3b8a7cddcad06d9f8ad23ef16.jpg

IMG_20190308_202557174.jpg.c30f4e816c3f86c109ca811f369cee7c.jpg

The Doctor has told me not to look for medical reasons..................

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm working on this Airfix Sea King in 1/72nd scale:

1575970886_seaking.jpg.b33b5b51fc9b2c2e26e2dc039955485f.jpg

It's a real dog of a kit!

I bought it quite a few years ago, made a start, and then realised there was going to be a major problem with the front, as the canopy moulding is quite a bit too wide for the fuselage. Last night, I resumed progress. I cemented the sides together, and then, once everything was clamped up, split the front a bit and inserted some scrap plastic into the seam between the sides, then trimmed back and added filler. It reduces the overhang by a bit, but it's still not perfect; unfortunately any further widening would create knock-on problems elsewhere, so I settled on a compromise. Elsewhere the fit of parts generally is poor, with a lot of filler being needed, and even after this work, the side-on profile of the nose looks a bit off to me.

I gather this tooling has been retired and the new 1/72nd Sea King is much better, but I'll be happy enough once I've finished this model.

Edited by Barry Ten
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1