Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

• RMweb Gold

Nearly finished my Sea King:

seaking1.jpg.400501c44cb2d71b5d525f9cb7f0a6f8.jpg

seaking2.jpg.7a2def444fbf48d5baafc2f516dc0108.jpg

seaking3.jpg.bf733a5130671ddb90e337fe7eeace6a.jpg

My local model shop didn't have the right shade of gray for the main colour so I eye-balled a substitute from my paint box, and in hindsight should have gone for a slightly lighter hue but it looked about right based on the box art.  Perhaps it'll lighten up again if and when I apply a matte coat over the satin shown here. I put the satin on to add the decals but decided I quite liked the look, so it might stay as it is.

The red is Humbrol signal red. I know there've been quite a lot of pixels spent on the quality of Humbrol paints compared to how they used to be, but this stuff was terrible; it took five coats to get anywhere close to a satisfactory opacity. Despite vigorous stirring it was more like a translucent coat to begin with. I know red is a tricky pigment for paints but this was exceptionally bad.

As I was nearing the end of the build I realised that there were still major detail errors I'd missed, or hadn't taken care of properly (the instructions were rubbish is my defense, and there were lots of possible parts combinations) with, for instance, an extra window where there shouldn't be one. I'd already filled in two. I also noted that the box art and decal diagrams differ in some details such as aerials and various spiky bits but in the end I'm happy enough. The decal sheet is very good, in any case.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 09/03/2019 at 17:00, jetmorgan said:

Like many others here I'm also into aircraft modelling. Like my railway modelling I'm just starting to get back into things but here are some pics of the kits stash that has been sitting about waiting & waiting & waiting. Mostly 1/48th

kit stash 1.jpg

kit stash 2.jpg

kit stash 3.jpg

kit stash 4.jpg

kit stash 5.jpg

kit stash 6.jpg

kit stash 7.jpg

See you have a couple of Inpact kits (Fury and Gladiator) in your interesting stash. Inpact had a small range of early aircraft (pre WW1) as well as the inter war biplanes.

P1090890.JPG.d04a485d076702164285eb0ec47db799.JPG

This is their Avro triplane  that I made in the , er, mid 1960s.

P1090893.JPG.34bd399afd16f7a2172bc2ec89db9c4a.JPG

Somehow, I've managed to keep this one.  1/48th scale, there was also an Avro Biplane.  

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

P1090892.JPG.10a9d14fc9f08fd5dc994c90a32e48d5.JPG

Inpact Martin-Handasyde monoplane (1911).   This is a work in progress rebuild of my original build done at the same time as the Avro triplane.   The original mouldings have a good fabric pattern on the wings and tail.

P1090894.JPG.8dea2e4584f0e038da21938d090c5869.JPG

I've also got this one,  which was made by Lifelike from the original Inpact moulds.  Lots of flash.

I think that these kits were then taken over by Lindberg, there's certainly a Lindberg Martin-Handasyde.

These originally came out in the "Those magnificent men in their flying machines" era,  which caught my imagination when I was at school (!) 

Actual Boxkite and triplane replicas at Shuttleworth collection, still flying I think.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

I think that these kits were then taken over by Lindberg, there's certainly a Lindberg Martin-Handasyde.

These originally came out in the "Those magnificent men in their flying machines" era,  which caught my imagination when I was at school (!) 

Actual Boxkite and triplane replicas at Shuttleworth collection, still flying I think.

The kits were marketed under several company names Merit, Inpact, Pyro, and Lifelike. Some even went on to be released by Lindberg, their Gladiator certainly was. My dad had a few of them as well. I know he has the Depredussain (not sure that is spelt right) and i think he had bothet he Avro Triplane and the boxkite. 

I like the kits and think they are still very good for their age, even compared with modern day kits which cost 4 or 5 times the amount. One day I will get around to building them all but I have a batch of Spitfires and Mosquitos on the go at the moment as well as my railway modelling stuff.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, jetmorgan said:

The kits were marketed under several company names Merit, Inpact, Pyro, and Lifelike. Some even went on to be released by Lindberg, their Gladiator certainly was. My dad had a few of them as well. I know he has the Depredussain (not sure that is spelt right) and i think he had bothet he Avro Triplane and the boxkite. 

I like the kits and think they are still very good for their age, even compared with modern day kits which cost 4 or 5 times the amount. One day I will get around to building them all but I have a batch of Spitfires and Mosquitos on the go at the moment as well as my railway modelling stuff.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about Merit.  I think they did some racing car kits?   With the aircraft, I also think there were 6 pre ww1 kits, the 3 you mentioned, plus the Martin-handasyde and Avro biplane,  don't know the 6th one. (Bleriot?)

I've got a 1:32 spitfire mk22/24 on the go, the Revell (ex matchbox) one.  A mosquito has an appeal as well....

ps  just been looking for inpact and the 6th kit was a bleriot.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When it comes to reducing the pile of unbuilt kits, being able to display two models in the same space is a good thing. A tank transporter is ideal as they don't normally come with a load. Here I've combined a Revell (ex-Matchbox) M19 with an Airfix Churchill mk.VII.

MB_01.JPG.6869018ad3cd63162134fe72ecbf1b81.JPG

I could add more stuff to the back of the tractor but I've got other models to build. Lots more.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think that I've posted this one before... 'Comic' variant of the Sopwith Camel. Night fighter. The fuel tank was put in front of the cockpit, which was moved back by about 12 ins. and the twin Vickers guns were removed, being replaced by a pair of Lewis guns, on Foster mounts, above the upper plane so the muzzle flash wouldn't affect the pilot's night vision.

Comic1.jpg.2fe4302521830fa1bd9e50bf79eff1d1.jpg

The cockades were partly obscured to help in not being seen by the enemy.

Comic2.jpg.6ec9d0b72deffcb0eadea0fbaf73eade.jpg

Holt's flares fitted under lower planes were triggered electrically to help illuminate the ground on landing. Model is 1/72 scale.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

After building some 1/48th P-51Ds I thought I'd go up a scale or two for the next one...

P51d1.jpg.6d15c0e7ba71d48207493fb6a485f4f6.jpg

I've made a start on the wings, as advised by the kit instructions.

The wings are based on verneer-covered foam panels to which various bits of balsa are then added:

p51d2.jpg.1d08491a6f960b277e378bf51c3f60ad.jpg

The wings are then sanded to shape. This is a slow job and I've only done one so far:

p51d3.jpg.8d4347a5cfaa15cea2f53f5cd87dc2cd.jpg

The model is planned to have retractable undercarriage and an electric motor.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Wow, it's a Cambrian kit but not as we know it. Will it be able to fly?

My own non-railway modelling has taken a topical turn.

MM183421.JPG.c514a97b99ef850149ea50825f90c0f8.JPG

I should have started kit this a few weeks ago, but I'd forgotten I had it.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Snap! Well, nearly.

This does have the LM inside it but it's not visible from this angle. Your LM looks superb - what kit and scale is it?

I built this one in 2009, in the week leading up to the 40th anniversary!

saturnv.jpg.26e770eb93e67a211f0a9eb7928a87e9.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Nile said:

Wow, it's a Cambrian kit but not as we know it. Will it be able to fly?

Yes, it'll be a full R/C but I'll be getting in a few hours on a high-wing trainer before I go anywhere near

the Mustang. I've flown an R/C one in a simulator and it was very unforgiving!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's a 1/70 scale kit from Tamiya. It originally dates from 1969, this one is a re-issue for the 40th anniversary, without the electric motor and propeller but with added gold coloured aluminium foil.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I often model Games Workshop vehicles but never actually play the game with them. I just like to make them look cool.

I also use them as a safe way to practice painting skills b e f o r e I try and paint an expensive O gauge model  XD

First photo is my prized Daemon Tank.

Second is my conversion of the Chimera tank into a mobile Naval crane. The crane is a Hornby yard crane.

Third is my normal Chimera tank.

BFF71A4E-FFED-481C-BF97-D581E5785272.jpeg

553F5965-E775-4B41-808E-E836AE6B2292.jpeg

0C93F41C-0D50-499C-9B1B-62BA5D8F879E.jpeg

Edited by PannierTanker14
List was wrong
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see a York!

Peter Hamill (Van der Graaf  Generator etc)  mentioned one in his

great song (No More) the Submariner:

As a child, I refought the war
With plastic planes and imagination:
I sank Tirpitz, blew up the Mohne dam, all these and more
I was the saviour of the Nation!
Oh! To be the captain of a ship of war!
The pilot of a Tempest or a York!
To hold my trench against the Panzer Korps
Instead of simply being one who talks
And reminisces of his fantasies
As though life was nothing but to lose...
These only antecede the knowledge that, eventually
He must choose

• Like 5