Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

• RMweb Gold

A bit more work on the Zero-X (apologies to those with no interest in Thunderbirds!):

In an exciting piece of crossover modeling, I embedded a Spratt & Winkle magnet in the cab of the MEV:

zerox10.jpg.78cca6a8ec30ed97a4b7954323d3c280.jpg

Coupled with a piece of steel added to the nosecon:

zerox11.jpg.e3c1f99c99d20c28aceefd0b1a6c9452.jpg

This keeps the nosecone in place nicely when the model's on the level or not in too steep a dive!

zerox12.jpg.c2e731e59465ffc4f4e54b05512dd758.jpg

Just  getting into general cleaning up and fixing on of the last of the details now, prior to a trip to Halfords for some metallic blue.

zerox.jpg.fa023492e2b77c6aa07fa0e635c07ac9.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Thought i would have a crack at the cardboard again using these books. These are from the book on the left. Must eat more cereal........

20210306_173517.jpg

20210306_171317.jpg

20210306_171300.jpg

Edited by 33C
added photo.
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

This is a bit of a departure for me, being a slightly newer car (most of my builds are stuff that is 1990s or earlier) and a competition car too.  I wanted to see what a modern Airfix car kit was like, so I picked this Aston Martin DBR9 up as part of a job lot of kits on eBay.

y4mjUU_b4qwXbjDhhtqtjtsZkGVGZOSrtL-hTuiX

y4mWye-BAv1X5umxEKPaAZd7ElCBxpQKYricW3bN

y4mNhyG0grkhj-gDGZnl0Iu-F5PKNZJQ72Opvqsm

There were a few issues with decals, which is one of the reasons I don't like competition cars. I discovered that I needed to enlarge the hole for the windscreen wiper only after fixing the body to the base.  Thankfully you can't tell that the wiper arm snapped when I cut it from the sprue.  Oh and the fit of the front bumper is pretty poor.

y4mt4cAPVQ230ysyQcn07l9Y7mndSY4z44Kk_b7R

Paint is Ford Bahama Blue (I think that's the name) from a Halfords can, with generic gloss or satin black for things like the spoiler and sills or under-tray.  Tyres are Tamiya NATO black with wheel centres painted a colour that I accidentally created by mixing some aluminium and steel-coloured metallic paint.

y4maz5U_MWLb77Gu619XzFxw2--S2u7FouqkmlMs

If you study it in minute detail, then you can see all the flaws, but when it's in the cabinet behind a glass door, it looks quite satisfying.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Darius43 said:

1:48 Ryan Navion built from the very old Lindberg kit.

The kit was quite basic with a solid moulded-on canopy and no undercarriage.  A new clear canopy was vac-formed over the solid one and the cockpit interior and undercarriage were scratch built using spares box parts.

3ECB8776-2E0B-4C4D-9C73-6BFD267DF65B.jpeg.d6a856c07f06ac006f6f5027f80ffb1a.jpeg

Is vac forming something you do yourself?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Is vac forming something you do yourself?

Hi Barry,

Yes, I have an old Mattel vac forming machine and have used it to vac form canopies for model aircraft.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have always been interested in military modelling and history. I have a very large collection of books and quite a stash of kits too - German WW2 ground forces are y area of interest. I have been putting off building AFV's to concentrate on railways but just felt like I needed to do something different. This is the relatively new Tamiya 1:35 scale Pz. Kpfw. IV Ausf F. It s a very nice kit and is going together nicely. I have replaced the MG34s with machined ones from Master Models and will probably refine the tool clamps a bit but am trying to stop my urge to get carried away. In truth the kit does not need all that much added. I have built it with the original engine deck covers and I think it will become a vehicle from GrossDeutschland in the Summer 1942 campaign.

Regards,

Craig W

IMG_3846.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

On with more paint and decals on the p51:

p51c.jpg.7bac6f11b8ee243b11f058610c3fbd9c.jpg

p51d.jpg.9eee3f3320fd9edd479fc5619f9142f5.jpg

p51e.jpg.9673383b30f4ba79a3fbbdd91f6fcb54.jpg

Just the canopy to be trimmed, fitted and painted now, then the wheels and prop can go back on and she's ready to fly - although it won't be me who takes her up for the first time - or any time soon!

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1