Stonebow Road Sidings

andypops

Hi all,

I am in the process of building a pseudo-TMD layout, based VERY loosely on the stabling point just to the south of Hereford station. In reality, these days this is an area with 4(?) sidings parallel to the running lines, and a disused (vandalised) fuelling point on the furthest siding. The two closest sidings are the longest, being able to hold a 2+7 HST or doubled 3-carriage class 170/5. The furthest two are used for holding light engines, short engineering trains, tampers etc. There is one access to the sidings, on the up main. Trains turning back at Hereford station must cross from either of the down plaforms and the down main via the stabling point (trains do not reverse at the station, platforms are one-direction only), and the crossing is done directly before the siding entrance / exit. These points also allow bidirectional working of the main between Abergavenny / Pontrilas - Hereford if needed for an engineering posession.

I hope to build a short(ish!) layout depicting this area in modern image, with the general theme of an improved stabling point; another "if time was on a tangent" sort-of-thing. The sidings will have either a shed [one or two road, probably the Bachmann ready-to-plant variety) OR a wagon works (when I think of the goods of Hereford yard, these are typically OTAs of wood, agregates passing through, bolsters and covered wagons for steel and bitumen and a few closed vans (or containers) from Bulmers (if only they still used their rail connection...sad.gif). So plenty of scope for a variety of traffic. And shunting (which does appeal - I have a softness for gronks...). A fuelling point will be added to the siding furthest from the mainline.

My plan is currently below - my questions are:

1) Is it (fairly) realistic in terms of its layout

2) Will it be a pain to operate? Having the building on the left instead of the right on the furthest road, I would have to clear the fule road to shunt the shed, and this could be a nightmare. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would also point out that I know it is a lot in a little space, but I want the maximum operational activity for the space - I unfortunately don't have the room to keep a huge expanse of OO wasteland just because it looks nice! I will be controlling it via DCC and probably get around to putting point motors in too. And, before anybody asks, this is not planned to be an exhibition layout! I will be using Hornby track (I have a lot unsure.gif) and so my plan uses their parts. This is my first layout (which I will complete!)

Thanks for reading all of this, and I welcome any comments which you could add!

Andy

post-11408-0-90909500-1313091299_thumb.jpg

This is the second layout which I could have.

The two sidings coming off the y-point would be used as storage for scrapped locos, wagons etc or anything awaiting repair. The only problem with this arrangement is that the one side of the shed has to be emptied before these "storage sidings" can be shunted - and it would be a bit of a puzzle!

All the best,

Andy

post-11408-0-73774400-1313143223_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I prefer the first one even though one siding is basically a headshunt for depot access. But on the original, and the other one come to that, what happens to the main lines at the left end - sector plate/cassettes etc? If there's nothing there it will be virtually unworkable apart from trundling up & down the sidings.

Hi

Hereford is certainly a very interesting place to model. My good friend "Jonas" on the forums here lives there and has done quite a bit of research for his ideas of a Hereford layout. His thread might be of interest to you here.

For your layout plans, I to think the first one is a better idea. You just wouldn't use a shed lane as access to other sidings. With that in mind though, I'd move the fueling point to the other side of them three sidingd perhaps?(where it is in layout two) Again, if a loco is on point to refuel, the shed is effectively locked down until it's finished.

Keep the updates coming!

Regards

Lee :)

Hi Lee,

Yes, I have seen that thread bofore - I am a long-time lurker! This area is to the south of the station, with the yard directly to the north and so the other side of the station - so in my idea, this fuelling point has become somewhere a bit bigger, to a place for fuelling, stabling and periodic maintenance of overnight and yard traffic.

I agree about the positioning of the fuelling point, however I do have a concern with positioning it closer to the running lines because I would have thought this offers less protection to any crew who're lineside. I'll admit, I know nothing of this though, and would appreciate any help from more experienced people!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee,

Yes, I have seen that thread bofore - I am a long-time lurker! This area is to the south of the station, with the yard directly to the north and so the other side of the station - so in my idea, this fuelling point has become somewhere a bit bigger, to a place for fuelling, stabling and periodic maintenance of overnight and yard traffic.

I agree about the positioning of the fuelling point, however I do have a concern with positioning it closer to the running lines because I would have thought this offers less protection to any crew who're lineside. I'll admit, I know nothing of this though, and would appreciate any help from more experienced people!

Originally the big worry with fuel points was ballast contamination (plus there were various Regulations in any case about storage etc) so they were kept away from running lines. I can't remember (well it is 38 years since I worked there) the original Hereford arrangement all that well but I've an idea there was at least one other siding between the one used for servicing and the running line or it was a much larger than normal (10ft at that time) interval.

Overall I think it's a really good idea and well thought out.

I can't remember (well it is 38 years since I worked there) the original Hereford arrangement all that well but I've an idea there was at least one other siding between the one used for servicing and the running line or it was a much larger than normal (10ft at that time) interval.

Yes, I think you might be right about there about the extra siding. They even look a bit cramped these days (although nothing much really uses them, and they're so overgrown that it's hard to tell).

The reason for having the kink i the running lines is to give a bit more interest, so I've sacrificed the extra siding to account for this.

And thanks very much for your kind comments! :D I will update this as much as (and when) possible!

UPDATE:

Trackwork arranged:

post-11408-0-40883400-1313235369_thumb.jpg

Note the extra siding next to the running lines. I will have to find another modern LH point (I have hundreds somewhere...!), but the rusty one was put in just to see how it looks, and I quite like it. What do you all think? Should I leave space for some lineside junk, or use the space for a siding?

Andy

UPDATE:

Trankwork placed (very roughly) onto the baseboards.These two will be seized permanently together - separate boards are, in my experience, a nightmare.

post-11408-0-35060600-1313235615_thumb.jpg

Appologies for being upside down vs. all of the other pictures. And for the state of my kitchen floor!!! This is the side I hope to view the layout from, and operate from too.

I will add more board to the sidings (left of the image) to give me the length needed. This board is a bit wider, to give me a bit more room around the outside for lineside equipment / junk. And it can always be planed / jigsawed away!

Andy

I prefer the first one even though one siding is basically a headshunt for depot access. But on the original, and the other one come to that, what happens to the main lines at the left end - sector plate/cassettes etc? If there's nothing there it will be virtually unworkable apart from trundling up & down the sidings.

I agree with "The Stationmaster". Number one is the better of the two.

It is an interesting project you have planned.

• RMweb Gold

Trackwork arranged:

Note the extra siding next to the running lines. I will have to find another modern LH point (I have hundreds somewhere...!), but the rusty one was put in just to see how it looks, and I quite like it. What do you all think? Should I leave space for some lineside junk, or use the space for a siding?

Andy

I'm not so sure about that extra siding although the lack of a trap does admittedly make it look a bit odd . However overall i think it looked that bit more believable with the wide interval between running lines and sidings.

Hi,

@The Stationmaster: I understand completely about the extra siding, and I know it isn't prototypical. But, for my layout, I think it works better as it not only gives me a convenient place to turn a diagram around in, it also gives a really useful place to assemble a goods train from wagons which can sit in the other sidings. And yes, I know I don't have any traps or catch points...but hey, this is my first go at a layout, and I'm not striving for complete prototype perfection. I have seen so many layouts where the fiddly little details detract so much from the operations that it becomes boring to watch / operate. (At a certain exhibition I visited, I saw a layout where after every shunt move the catch points were set, and due to gravity, the empty wagons overran the points and derailed, resulting in the "hand of god" being constantly applied!

An update on my layout:

The track is now laid, ballasted (my least favourite thing in the world, because I always feel like I''m trashing it!) and fully wired, with plenty of droppers.

I have fully tested all of the roads and turnouts, and it works like a charm! My only concern is that 08's / 09's struggle at low speed, but I expected this. Damn insulfrogs...

The next stage - plastikard for the loco shed hardstanding and sorting a reasonable backscene (which I plan to be Wills sheets to make buildings, with offcuts of wood to give some depth. Photograph, or overcast sky above). I also need to add AWS ramps, TPWS grids, lineside boxes and signals on the mainline. I have all of these all ready, all painted and good to be planted, so will be a very simple fix.

I also need to sort the general grass areas. I hope to use grass mats for this (probably as recommended in Model Rail August), and painted sand / ballast between the mainline and shed to give a sense of realistic texture. I had toyed with the idea of putting a small works plant / fenced area (similar to Newport Maindee Junction) containing a typical works area, between the shed and mainline (see image 1 in my first post!) but I am not sure if this is interesting / easy enough. Any comments?

The final stage will be a realistic grass / weed scatter over the sidings. Something I know I need to get right!

All the best,

Andy

I do have two questions which I hope can be answered -

1) Does anybody who owns the Bachmann 2-road loco shed have the dimensions of the footprint of the building? I would really appreciate these, and haven't found them online so far!

2) Can anybody give me instructions / help with how to fit the Peco inspection pit kit to my layout? (I have deliberately not ballasted the shed area, so this won't be an issue!). Do I remove the sleepers from the tracks before laying and then use a router to cut the hole between them, or is there a more common way of doing things?!

All the best,

Andy

Hi Andy. Can't help with your first question I'm afraid, but as for the Peco pits; they require a suitable hole cutting in the boards to allow them to "drop-in", the rails are them slid into the chairs that are moulded into the plastic of the pits themselves. The pack contains several short lengths of loose rails for this purpose, or alternatively you can slide-in a suitable continuous length of rail that you have cut to suit the length of your pits.

Evening all,

An update on the progress:

As I mentioned a while ago, ballast has been laid on the areas that require it, and all of the track has been cleaned and tidied up, with excess removed. It needs a bit more finishing and tidying up, but it's pretty much there for the moment. I really do hate ballasting! I have left the areas around the points for the moment, as this always gives me issues. I will cross that bridge as the final bit of finishing off for this layout.

These are overview images of the layout, showing the sidings, the fuelling point and the shed area. These are taken from the worst looking side!!

post-11408-0-33782400-1314217189_thumb.jpg

post-11408-0-48763900-1314216777_thumb.jpg

This is a top-down view of the siding / stabling / turnaround area:

post-11408-0-48845400-1314217358_thumb.jpg

This is my favourite, battered old class 08 (which I once had a bash at weathering... :sorry: ) sat on the fuel point. Note the area of ballast, which'll need some serious running repairs! I'll do this when I sort the points. The fuel point is the ubiquitous Knightwing kit, which I've wired up with a surface mounted LED strip stuck along the centre of the roof. The two wires are bare metal, and run up either supprt for the roof, and then I've painted it all together. Looks quite good if I do say so myself! And the lighting gives a fantastic depth to the layout when it's lit.

post-11408-0-64841600-1314217101_thumb.jpg

Another view from the fuel point:

post-11408-0-91744700-1314217276_thumb.jpg

This is an overhead view of the pits area (which will be within the shed), with the class 08 sat on top of one to give an idea of scale. I decided not to make them too long, as most of the area'll be hid under a shed, so figured we only really need to see the ends. It's got space in the baseboard to accomodate lighting. I do love LED's!

post-11408-0-79451800-1314217319_thumb.jpg

I have weathered and painted all of the lineside junk (sorry - equipment) which I have ready to plant. So far, this is the electical boxes, signals on the mainline, TPWS grids and AWS ramps. I think I need to bite the bullet soon, and buy the loco shed :O (Bachmann 44-017). The bank manager will not be amused! Other than that, a ground frame or two and some ground signals (I can still use old-style western region disks, as Hereford station still has these on the down ends of the slow lines) and I'll be there.

My plan for this weekend:

I will(!)...

1) Sort (some kind) of backscene.

2) Sort the plasticard hardstanding. I have 2mm and 0.5mm sheets, so should be able to conjure something up.

3) Decide where to plant the lineside equipment.

4) Start to devise blending grass areas into the scene. I have NO idea with this, and I know it needs to be done well. I would really value any input about this!

5) (If I get round to it) Fix an accessory bus (12V DC) underneath the baseboard for the fuel point lights, shed lights and for the signal on the mainline.

I have two questions which I would REALLY like some help with:

1)What is the best way to add overgrown grass / weed areas to your layouts, both on track, and surrounding the tracks (in your opinion)?

2) How can I weather the track without an airbrush??

Before the ballast is laid, aerosol paint cans is the quickest.

Post ballast laying, your going to have to weather the trach with a brush.

If you want to do it quickly just so it looks brown ( but no where near realistic mind you) a brown permanent pen can be used.

There are also i believe weathering pens that are out there. But i know nothing about these ( and could also be wrong )

Best of luck.

BTW, its lookind really nice. The bit of grime on the 08 really makes it look a lot more realistic doesnt it?

Hi Pilot,

Yes, it does! Although 08531 was in this livery as the station pilot at Liverpool St in the 1970s, where according to my research, the drivers earned it the reputation of being the cleanest loco in BR's fleet! Still, although I haven't done a great job, the grime looks alright on it!

I have tried to use the weathering sticks on the track / ballast areas, and it doesn't look right. Thankfully it's washable...! As this was my first go at a layout I think I've made a few mistakes with the orders that I have done things in, but it'll all about learning and having a bit of fun isnt it?! I might have a look on ebay for an airbrush, if it'll be worth it?

Thanks very much for your reply,

Andy

Hi all,

An update:

I have splashed out, and got the shed yesterdayt. This is it, fresh out of the box last night, with rough plasticard footprint sorted, along with the backboards in place:

post-11408-0-17268600-1314456942_thumb.jpg

Similar shot taken today:

post-11408-0-47437700-1314456979_thumb.jpg

Same shot, but the trackwork looks a bit better!:

post-11408-0-75295600-1314457142_thumb.jpg

A longer shot, showing 08531 again on fuel point (thirsty thing!) looking towards the shed:

post-11408-0-49177000-1314457232_thumb.jpg

A nice close-up, together with a cobbled-together sign, of the 08 moving a lowmac into the shed for examination:

post-11408-0-35142900-1314457455_thumb.jpg

Finally, an overview shot:

post-11408-0-46472300-1314457394_thumb.jpg

Comments would be very welcome - especially if anyone can help with ideas about grass effects...

Andy

post-11408-0-37311200-1314457358_thumb.jpg

Hi,

For the 1001st view of the topic!

Another update:

I have made a static grass applicator and sorted the backscene, hardstanding and even done a bit of painting!

Photos are below:

(These are my favourites)

post-11408-0-29441100-1314635845_thumb.jpg

post-11408-0-77160100-1314635862_thumb.jpg

Again, my favourite "long-shot"

post-11408-0-54923200-1314635714_thumb.jpg

Some of the lineside junk going down a few days ago - I think it fits in with the scene, which is nice.

post-11408-0-94139400-1314635618_thumb.jpg

post-11408-0-66834800-1314635652_thumb.jpg

post-11408-0-84992500-1314635682_thumb.jpg

An overhead view, showing the first layer of paint on the sidings:

post-11408-0-37288700-1314635749_thumb.jpg

The first bit of flock, as the base for static grass, near the shed. This is the best way I could think of of disguising the gap between shed and running lines, what with all the changes in relief with the plasticard etc.I will have to sort the colour out though!

post-11408-0-09809100-1314635778_thumb.jpg

Also, note the (very old) tank wagon on shed, which got the good news with the airbrush as a test. Not bad for something which cost 50p at a car boot sale...!

post-11408-0-43868400-1314635796_thumb.jpg

Comments welcome as ever.

All the best,

Andy

• 4 months later...

Hi,

This is a view of the to-all-intents finished sidings, in use. The idea morphed into a kind of wagon works - come - exchange for short rakes, hence the large amount of stock shown. However, in reality I use this board now as a scenic fiddleyard, and as a humble first attempt I think it's worked out okay! I've certainly learned many lessons, tho use with my future layout (a finescale industrial scene, shown here).

Shot 1: Looking down the mainline, with EWS / DBS 66068 waiting at the signal to allow the yard shunter 08630 to clear the access to the refuelling point (the ubiquitous knightwing kit, lit with self-adhesive LED strip lights - highly recomended). The down line closest to us has a distant signal, as the preceeding signal on this line (off-scene) controlls access to the yard. Other signals are kit-bashed ground signals. One of my favourite features is the orange trunking under the rails. I had no idea what others have used for this, so in the end I got a coloured paperclip, straightened it, and painted it orange. It looks pretty close to perfect, in my opinion, and I'll fit the others that are needed in the near future!

post-11408-0-31989600-1327276182_thumb.jpg

Shot 2: Looking from the other side, the 66 has been given the road. I realised after taking the picture that there is quite a lot of unrealistic clutter round the shed, including the function sheet for the howes chips, and a derailed 08!!

post-11408-0-58232700-1327276698_thumb.jpg

Shot 3: My favourite shot, and one which IMHO is quite prototypical. NB the steel coils on the BAAs, which (at least in the are I'm familiar with, S Wales / Hereford) have the steel coils the correct way. The only problem I find with this, is that the cradles do tend to slip when going round bends. Otherwise, a fantastic model!

post-11408-0-32746700-1327275695_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Andy

A cracking depot layout,

One thing I always liked the idead of (to minimise space) was like were you;ve got the short sidings, if right at the end a motorway bridge when right across them all, it would give them impresion that they went on much further and then, for example the loco and first couple of wagons could arrive, loco chop off and go to the depot, whilst a second ran off depot to the other (of stage) end of the yard to draw the train out of the sidings and back away, with only the first couple of wagons ever being seen

Archived