Scottish Region photos 1980's

Ok, these are photos of photos, but if of interest I could scan these and more like them when I get my scanner fitted up. Mainly Edinburgh area in late 80s plus early 1990.

The two shown are the Sunday petfood train resting at Millerhil before heading on to Glasgow.

20181104_110446-1.jpg

20181104_110335-1.jpg

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Smallwonder said:

Ok, these are photos of photos, but if of interest I could scan these and more like them when I get my scanner fitted up. Mainly Edinburgh area in late 80s plus early 1990.

Don't worry about the quality, Smallwonder. I think I can safely say that any photos you can post here will be of us interest to us all, and certainly to me (especially Edinburgh 80s/90s!).

Cheers

Dave

• Agree 3

• 1 month later...

Hopefully it's okay to post this here, but I came across this photo of a 47/4 at Dundee (dated 1986), hauling an Aberdeen service with what to my eyes seems to be a rather unusual formation - appears to be a ScotRail liveried Mk2d TSOT, ScotRail liveried Mk2Z FK then a number of blue/grey pressure ventilated Mk2s (possibly Mk2A):

47546 'Aviemore Centre' Dundee 1986

(Photo copyright to Paul Smith flickr)

Edited by hexagon789
  • Like 13

32 minutes ago, bigP said:

Looks like the ‘spare set’.

The old 2(z) TSO and FKs that were disc braked and used to be top’n’tailed by 27s.  Think by the time of that photo there were 5 of the TSOs left.  The FK didn’t have much longer in it, being replaced by a 2a Blue/Grey cousin from Old Oak - 13461 if memory serves?

There could well be a 2f DBSO on the back of that set.

Think by ‘87 or ‘88 the set was ‘broken up’ so to speak and the TSOs used to bolster the Aberdeen mk2 sets

(2f DBSO, 2e FO, 2d TSO, 2d TSO, 2d TSOT, 2z TSO).

Flood will know for sure.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks, the reason I discounted Mk2z was that as far as I knew the ones retained by ScotRail had all be repainted into ScotRail colours by 1986 (I may be wrong though), though I agree you can't see a brake vehicle which is presumably at the very back and may well be a DBSO.

The 47/4 and mix of carriages is what mainly caught my eye.

13 minutes ago, bigP said:

Hmm, good point, hadn’t thought about that.

Perhaps, they are just some of ECs 2a TSO stock bundled together to form a set.

Paul

The caption suggests to me a service train, Aberdeen-bound, though doesn't specifically say it is passenger nor if it's ex-Glasgow or Edinburgh. As you say, I think we need someone with the right knowledge to figure it all out! ;)

Edited by hexagon789

• RMweb Premium

Platform 5 9th Ed. (July 1986) has the following former p-p coaches in ScotRail livery:

mk2z TSO: 5146, 5152, 5153, 5176, 5197 (all EC - there are 13 others listed but are b/g and either YC/HT/BN/NL)

mk2z FK: 13424 (EC - 3 others in b/g still extant at HT/NL)

also in ScotRail livery:

mk2d TSOT: 6601, 6604,6613, 6614, 6619 (all EC, along with 6603 in b/g)

mk2e FO: 3245, 3247, 3248, 3265 (all EC)

mk2f FO: 3284, 3312

Edited by keefer
add more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

forgot to say, there are other mk2z/2a TSOs listed for EC (and PC/IS) but these are all 'normal' coaches in b/g (i.e. not disc-braked p-p)

13424 is the only Scottish FK of any kind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2019 at 22:02, Smallwonder said:

The two shown are the Sunday petfood train resting at Millerhil before heading on to Glasgow.

20181104_110446-1.jpg

good photo - not just fro the petfood train!

Look at what is lurking in the background!

Very unusual to find photos of this train.

Thanks

Phil H

5 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Hopefully it's okay to post this here, but I came across this photo of a 47/4 at Dundee (dated 1986), hauling an Aberdeen service with what to my eyes seems to be a rather unusual formation - appears to be a ScotRail liveried Mk2d TSOT, ScotRail liveried Mk2Z FK then a number of blue/grey pressure ventilated Mk2s (possibly Mk2A):

47546 'Aviemore Centre' Dundee 1986

(Photo copyright to Paul Smith flickr)

Certainly looks like a scratch set to me, especially having the Mk2Z FK. In 1985 the ScotRail Mk2Z TSOs were used on the Dunblane morning rush hour working with a DBSO and without a first then, as has already been mentioned, two Mk2Z TSOs were used to bolster the two Edinburgh - Aberdeen Push-Pull sets from about 1986. Behind the two TSOs, I agree they are almost certainly Mk2A, seems to be a BSO. Perhaps no DBSO was available at all.

All in all a very interesting train.

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Am really enjoying the Alan Harrison Collection on you tube. The latest video at Stratford in 1986 features a MK 2a FK or should say the Mk2a FK in Scotrail at the end of a rake and later in the video a ScotRail full brake behind an electric again as part of a rake of  coaches.

I've seen the FK in blue grey pre 1986 as part of the 1984 Jacobite service 477 Mk2a and DBSO  between Edinburgh and Inverness but think it wasnt part of the rake in ScotRail livery that did Dunblane Edinburgh push pull rake by 1986.  Perhaps no longer required it wondered the country looking for something to do!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2019 at 07:00, Waverley47708 said:

Am really enjoying the Alan Harrison Collection on you tube. The latest video at Stratford in 1986 features a MK 2a FK or should say the Mk2a FK in Scotrail at the end of a rake and later in the video a ScotRail full brake behind an electric again as part of a rake of  coaches.

I've seen the FK in blue grey pre 1986 as part of the 1984 Jacobite service 477 Mk2a and DBSO  between Edinburgh and Inverness but think it wasnt part of the rake in ScotRail livery that did Dunblane Edinburgh push pull rake by 1986.  Perhaps no longer required it wondered the country looking for something to do!

I think it would be a Mk2z in ScotRail sector livery there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Fascinating shots, Smallwonder. Thanks for posting! 

I've just renumbered my Bachmann 47628 to 47500. Wish I'd left it alone now! I could always change it back I guess. I'm sure 47500 must have visited Waverley in GW Green at some point though. I've seen a shot of 47628 on a Fife/Dundee service passing through Princes St Gardens before, but it was in blue at the time.

Do you happen to know number of the 37 and the power car?

Cheers

Dave

52 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

I've just renumbered my Bachmann 47628 to 47500. Wish I'd left it alone now! I could always change it back I guess. I'm sure 47500 must have visited Waverley in GW Green at some point though. I've seen a shot of 47628 on a Fife/Dundee service passing through Princes St Gardens before, but it was in blue at the time.

Cheers

Dave

I'm sure I've seen photos of 47500 at Glasgow Queen Street so I'd be surprised if it didn't get to Edinburgh at some point too

Not sure of the 37, but it looks like a refurbished 37/4 and the nameplate across 2 lines so that must narrow it down a bit. No sign of an Eastfield dog so does that make it 37418?

Edited by GordonC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Cheers

Dave

How much do you care about accuracy? The Bachmann 47628 model has incorrect underframe detail (water tanks removed) for 47500.

36 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

How much do you care about accuracy? The Bachmann 47628 model has incorrect underframe detail (water tanks removed) for 47500.

I can't see any water tanks on here...

http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0999002113000

Looking at the photo below, the underframe detail is close enough for me anyway...

https://www.hattons.co.uk/483321/bachmann_branchline_31_660db_po_po_class_47_47628_sir_daniel_gooch_in_gwr_150_green_livery_limited_edition_pre_ow/stockdetail.aspx

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Sorry, you're quite right. 47500 still had its water tanks when named in BR Blue but had lost them by the time it went into GWR green. But I'm sure when I looked into renumbering mine there was something that didn't match up...and I'm not talking about the position of the ETH jumper.

3 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Sorry, you're quite right. 47500 still had its water tanks when named in BR Blue but had lost them by the time it went into GWR green. But I'm sure when I looked into renumbering mine there was something that didn't match up...and I'm not talking about the position of the ETH jumper.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was. 47s are an absolute minefield of variations. I tend not to worry too much about things like boiler port covers and the positioning of ETH jumpers (unless very obvious). It's mainly flush fronts and the general appearance of the battery boxes/water tanks that I look for. Life's too short as it is (and modelling time is even shorter)!

• Agree 3

Ace detective Gordon C. It was 37 418, my only sighting of it according to my record which has the full story including ID of the power car - 43 056.

Here's 37404 on the Royal Scotsman in July 89. ED 37s in large logo blue, intercity (mainline) and three tone grey all seen at Waverley with the Royal Scotsman that summer.

As you can tell, I was familiar with Waverley in the late 80s and Waverley West's layout is beautiful in its own right, but also brilliantly captures the atmosphere of the real thing.20191127_203221.jpg.4546a53459887418daf5f95ae0ef235c.jpg20191127_203026.jpg.9d1e82043954b80830f520492d6216bc.jpg

Edited by Smallwonder
Typo
  • Like 3