LMS carriages - Dining.

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel,

that looks rather nice! Do you have any more photos during construction? How do you do your lining? I've built a couple of coach kits in 2mm, but nothing with lining so far.

thanks,

Neil

Hello,

Thanks Neil. I don't have any other photos. The coach is built with plasticard ends and floor/ interior, and a separate underframe unit added when the body is complete. The nickel silver sides were painted and lined for me by Ian Rathbone, who is miles better at it than me. I glaze the sides before gluing to the ends and floor. The roof is 2MM Association, and the fittings are mainly Ultima. All the transfers are Fox. The underframe on this is from a Bill Bedford kit, but I often make my own from plasticard. One of my objectives is to keep the weight down so that my locos can cope with realistic rakes without over-taxing them. 2MM Association wheels and top hat bearings helps with free running too.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel,

that looks rather nice! Do you have any more photos during construction? How do you do your lining? I've built a couple of coach kits in 2mm, but nothing with lining so far.

thanks,

Neil

Neil,

I forgot to ask what coaches did you do, and were they kits or what?

Regards,

Nigel

Nigel, thanks for lots of useful info there.

I forgot to ask what coaches did you do, and were they kits or what?

Not much so far. Ultima 42' BGV - an easy start, small windows so no interior, flat sides, no lining. Ultima 50' BG. Working on a couple of Masterclass non-gangwayed kits - lots of door handles to fit. Dining & kitchen cars are on my list of things for the future.

All to be used on N track to add variety to N RTR stock.

Neil

• 1 year later...

coachmann :

These were my words a few months ago. Last weekend I dug out the etched brass Period II sides left over from the Period III build shown earlier and build a coach from bits and bobs. The Hornby dining car roof, interior and bogies were used on this model.

They were regarded by the LMS as unclassed, however, I have seen a photo of a Stanier compo diner taken in early BR days with first class window and door markings. I can only assume the LMS or BR gave up on the idea of "unclassed" and used them as proper composite diners instead. This is why my model has window stickers in the First Class section.

Coach,

I have been tasked with adding the decals to a very well repainted Hornby restaurant car (in BR Crimson and Cream) so I had a trawl through RMWeb and found your excellent blog on these carriages - I had a feeling I'd seen this blog some time ago.

As an SR man, I'm not too hot on the details of these vehicles. I was very pleased to find M230M in just the livery, now I know where to position the 'Restaurant Car', 'Kitchen' and number decals - thank you for the guidance.

Glenn

They were regarded by' the LMS as unclassed, however, I have seen a photo of a Stanier compo diner taken in early BR days with first class window and door markings. I can only assume the LMS or BR gave up on the idea of "unclassed" and used them as proper composite diners instead. This is why my model has window stickers in the First Class section.

attachicon.gifWEB LMS D1811 blood & cus A.jpgattachicon.gifWEB LMS D1811 blood & cus B.jpg

Wouldn't the first class seats have been fitted with antimacassars, readily visible through the windows even on a 4mm model? Certainly on the Southern Region it was normal practice to fit antimacassars to any seat designated 1st class, even temporarily.

Archived