Liverpool - Southport/Ormskirk EMUs

Stanley Melrose

After several years waiting kits to make 4mm=1ft models of the 502 stock are available. The development of these kits has been a labour of love by Matt Farrell - see <www.e-traction.co.uk> for more details.

Incidentally, Matt will be making up a two car set to be presented to the NRM on 29th October when the prototype is handed over from the NRM to the Friends of the 502 Group.

Interestingly the formations of the 502s remained remarkably constant through their existence but I wonder if the same was true of the 1927 stock? If anyone has any details of the formations of the 1927 (slam door) stock - or can point to where it might be found, I would be very grateful to know.

Stan

Nice to see models of Class 502’s appearing hopefully this will result on some Merseyside DC layouts appearing.

There was also 1927 stock allocated to the NLL lines and I always of the opinion that they operated in fix sets however this was the case. Trailers cats were transferred from the Manchester – Altrincham line to replace wartime damaged stock etc. The units were also formed as hybrids 2 car units with Oerilkon Motor cars for the Rickmansworth Church Street due to power supply issues.

On the Merseyside lines the 1927 stock appeared to operate as 2, 3 or 4 car sets, the latter was somewhat underpowered IMO. I would assume that some reformation did occur to meet the traffic needs and cover for maintenance issues and potentially some reformations to any wartime damaged units.

Xerces Fobe

• 3 months later...

I have in build one of the Watford line LMS units converted from Airfix suburban coaches. The current stumbling block is the louvres on the side of the equipment cabinet on the Driving Motor Car and I am trying to figure out a way of producing these.

I wouls suggest Graham Farish suburbans rather than the Airfix ones as they are a better match are easy to work with as they are basically a clip together kit based around a body mouding thay includes the floor and seats.

For the louvres I used platicard the first time around however a brass etch is another option .I have just started building another set and may try and draw some louvres up and get etches made.

Beware of the cab doors as thet are in a different position on each side and I got that wrong ftirst time around.

Please PM me, if I can be of further assistance.

Nigel

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Revamping this thead, just to say that I have done the 502s 503s and GEC stock as 3D print models(in various scales). I am also hoping to do the other earlier electric units(There are quite a few variations), not forgetting the parcels cars as well.

Those who can build kits are lucky, but many modellers find them difficult.

Archived