• 4 weeks later...

Hi mate

That impressive, the real one looks impressive to... love the photos of the inner arches or oval shapes as you look through all the arches...

Love how you have replicated it to the same as the real thing... Keep the photos coming they are great mate....

Jamie

Guest oldlugger

It's all looking wonderful Rod; a masterpiece. I'd love to see it one of these days, but later into its development.

All the best

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks again all - there's still a lot of detailed work to do, and having shown it three times as a work-in-progress (RMWeb Taunton this year and last, and Scaleforum last year) we won't be showing it in public again now until it's 'finished', which is unlikely to be for a year or so. Rest assured though that we will keep updating on here through the blog and this topic.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread (as a Nooby).

Difficult to add to the superlatives already stated. Just goes to show that, with will and determination, more or less anything is possible. Look forward to seeing more (and seeing it in the flesh one day)

(by contrast my offering has a viaduct of a mere five arches - and its really a bridge anyway

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58826-grantham-the-streamliner-years/)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks John.

Work is proceeding slowly. We're taking apart each section and piers are being fitted with the 'fancy' resin brickwork cast for us by Mark of the 'Eridge' team also 'grouting' and weathering is being experimented with. Some of the brick plasticard needs replacing as it was fitted in a rush for S4um last year and it's easier to do all this with it apart.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have just found this thread, what an incredible feat of miniature engineering. Truly inspirational.

And here I was thinking that a three arch viaduct was going to be a big effort.

Congratulations on a great result.

Cheers from Downunder, Steve

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64812-st-james-station/page-2

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We never had the benefit of any historical drawings for the viaduct model, and I always said in conversation and writings that these would turn up when we'd finished.  Well, we're not quite finished but we are as far as dimensioned design and construction is concerned, and guess what!  Last night I was advised (thanks to ianmaccormac for the heads up) that some drawings had been posted on the SeMG email group.  Should that be :yahoo_mini: or   :banghead: or maybe just :cry:?

They're only low-res scans so it's difficult to make accurate measurements off them, but as far as I can tell  we're pretty close overall.  The main error (already suspected) is in the taper of the piers where I have undercooked it a little.   But strangely the width of the track deck seems OK so the real piers must sit a liitle more inboard at the top.  From exhibition viewing angles it won't be apparent though.  The pavilions are about 7% too small but they were only sized from parallax-ridden photos from below and I can live with that.

I've been in touch with the owner and hopefully I'll be able to borrow and possibly copy them.

Edited by 10800
  • Like 7

Hi Rod & John,

Wow, what an excellent piece of modelling you guys (and others?) have created there!

It sounds like the majority of measurements are pretty close if not spot on so I would certainly be very happy with something that's only 7% small - when it's a structure that very few people will know just what size it should be anyway!

In this case, I'm sure "if it looks right, it is right"!

Cheers,

John E.

PS Thanks to models like this & Jeff's on "Kirkby Luneside" - write me up as a fully paid member of the "Viaduct appreciation society"!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some re-working on the finish is being concentrated on at this time.

Some of hastily applied finish is being seen to, as it was applied in somewhat of a rush for magazine deadlines etc.

Having now finally decided on the best final colours, after a thorough fill with acrylic stopper and lots of rubbing down, all the arch brickwork will be re-sprayed with the chosen brick shade.  I've made up the nearest 'Caen Stone' colour from some Daler-Rowney acrylics which were got in 125ml tubes of artists colours at a cheaper price than the nearest 12ml Tamiya/Humbrol acrylic potlet.

The new 2BIL looks at home on it.

post-6728-0-30624700-1362579490_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-41029700-1362579568_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

More work has been done with the balustrades on board 4. They have been refitted, filled, smoothed and sprayed in undercoat to be 'photographically proved'

The 'proving' has been useful in showing up all the imperfect finishing.

Normally this would have probably been OK for 'normal viewing distances' but not for 'cruel' camera close-ups which are now such a part of out hobby nowadays!

The new visitor arrived last week which will be used for our 'blue/grey' operating period. It will also be used on a mixed consist with an original umber and cream
set as was the case for a short period in the late 60s.

post-6728-0-47628200-1365356978_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-87155500-1365356993_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Since I know you chaps care about such things, the BEL units in brown and cream should always run with a tail-lamp. The blue-grey version did get approval for red roller-blinds, but only after all three units had been repainted. Thus the mixed formation does need a tail-lamp.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Guest oldlugger

Hello Rod and John,

I thought you might enjoy this episode of Men Behaving Badly... it shows Balcombe viaduct at the end!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just got back to Devon after showing the viaduct and the beginnings of Balcombe for the first time at the Crawley MRS show in Horsham, fittingly quite close to the real thing. A few challenges in the last few weeks to say the least, but it was successful overall despite the first day being as much a demonstration of layout building as exhibiting one!

Full story and photos to follow in the next day or two.

• Like 3