Polpendra, Cornish branch in N 1958-62

bridgiesimon

Guest oldlugger

Excellent Simon! A very nice layout; I really like your Hymek. Do you have any more photos and a track plan?

Cheers

Simon

Thank you Simon and others, I appreciate the comments, The track plan is based on one in a book by Iain Rice I have a sketched out one -

post-3347-0-11956500-1313517464_thumb.jpg

This is an overall piccie taken by a mate of mine, cheers Rus!

post-3347-0-72188000-1313518473_thumb.jpg

As for more piccies, only the ones I have taken, not top quality but here are a couple -

post-3347-0-06893300-1313518591.jpg

The 14xx shunts the yard

post-3347-0-08665900-1313518603_thumb.jpg

45xx and B set in the station

post-3347-0-42930600-1313518612.jpg

The hymek again

post-3347-0-25025000-1313518680.jpg

An Ivatt on a parcels train including a Gresley full brake built from a N Gauge Society kit

post-3347-0-46576100-1313518738_thumb.jpg

A kit built Z class rests during a running in turn.

Also here are a few detailed piccies -

post-3347-0-37246000-1313518901.jpg

The village garage

post-3347-0-56176900-1313518910.jpg

Station Row

I will add some newer ones after a tidy up etc showing some of the newer stock.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 10

Hello Simon.

I spent quite a bit of time watching this layout at the N Gauge Show last year. In my opinion it was by far the best layout there.

Its a fantastic little layout and I am looking forward to seeing it again soon...

Missy :)

Hello All

Just to say that "Polpendra" is one of the loveliest 'N' gauge layouts on the circuit today. We were lucky enough to have it attend our club's EXMOOR RAIL a week or so back and not only does it look good but Simon runs it beautifully as well. So if you get the chance to see it, I would advise anyone to make the effort.

So thanks again Simon & all the best

exmoordave

Thank you all, thanks for the invite Dave, it was a great little show, very friendly, in a great venue and just down the road - ideal!

Colin I have to admit that when operating it, you forget that it is only 4' long! A clever track plan, cheers Mr Rice, does allow for interesting operation rather important for a whole weekend's operating without going loopy wioth boredom.

I have been adding guttering to the main buildings and cleaning the trees today, amazing how the dust had toned them down, looking much better.

Simon

Just noticed that the piccies show the old buildings - shortened Ration station building and Ratio kit engine shed and goods shed. These were replaced last winter with scratchbuilt ones , photos to follow!

I look forward to seeing them. This is a superb little layout and if my own BLT turns out half as good as this I will be very pleased. I particularly the milk tank trundling along behind the 1400, puts me in mind of Hemyock and Saltash.

More piccies, please note that there are lots of updates etc cos I'm on holiday!!! A week to concentrate on the layout, oh and helping my son make a new clock, Apache helicopter, cooking, cleaning...

Anyway, the farm area is looking a lot better with the buildings bedding down again and the area sceniced. Bloomin new green is showing up how much the fields have faded!! aaaaargh!!

post-3347-0-08685000-1313609772_thumb.jpg

This is the new goods shed, based on one in a piccie I found online - http://www.martin.lo....uk/Bampton.htm. Just needs the new down pipes painting to finish.

post-3347-0-84631900-1313609734_thumb.jpg

The replacement station building is based on the building at Crowcombe Heathfield on the West Somerset Railway but painted in greys to match a Cornish theme.

post-3347-0-28753900-1313609752_thumb.jpg

This engine shed does need a couple of changes, just had a thought that there is no ventilation for all the smoke, oops!! Time to research and add something, possibly roof vents like the ratio kit? It also need a little toning and weathering on the roof, it is a little too clean and plain grey.

post-3347-0-05104600-1313609695_thumb.jpg

The goods shed and engine shed are kept loose so that I can access the track to clean it, the goods shed fits into a shallow slot in the yard surface to align t and to help hide the joint, I hate gaps at the base on buildings on a model.

Anyway, cheers for now

Simon

• Like 8

I have spent a couple of hours today revamping parts from the old engine shed to add a ventilator type thingy to it, I think it looks better than before.

post-3347-0-91351000-1313693782_thumb.jpg

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon,

The engine shed looks better now with the vents on the roof.

Colin

Cheers Colin, Have got mega motivation to work on the layout because the photographer from Railway Modeller is visiting on Friday for a photoshot, the article has already been accepted and hopefully, will be in the mag later this year - WAHAY!!!

Simon

Will look forward to seeing it in the Modeller Simon, the layout looks very photogenic so should be some good pics to go with the article.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all of you for your very kind comments, the photographer from the Railway Modeller visited on friday for a few hors and looks like a great set of piccies were taken, mega thanks to you if you are reading this Craig Tilley!!!

Swindon show on 10-11 Sept, reading show the week later and Fareham first week of Oct.

I now have a couple of new jobs -

93xx to re chassis, it is sitting on an old Farish chassis and I now have a brand new 61xx to swap under it for much better running and I have a detailed 94xx body awaiting a new chassis. This body now has separate handrails all round, several drill bits trashed as well!

Piccies to follow

Simon

Lovely stuff Simon, the scenery looks and feels just right

Russell H told me to look here, and it was certainly worth the jump over. I take it all your locos are good runners then ;-)

Good luck with the railway modeller as well, will need to look out specially for that issue.

cheers

CJ

Lovely stuff Simon, the scenery looks and feels just right

Russell H told me to look here, and it was certainly worth the jump over. I take it all your locos are good runners then ;-)

Good luck with the railway modeller as well, will need to look out specially for that issue.

cheers

CJ

Cheers, would love to say all my locos run like a dream but got hit with a reality check, 'steam locos in N' hehehe, Russel has sorted some troubles out for me though, really knows his stuff!!

Off to Swindon next weekend, clashed with N gauge show - aaaaaargh!! bad planning but cheaper !!

Simon

• 1 month later...