Peco SL-E1008/9 Extra Long Concrete Code 75 Points

Dogmatix

Does anyone know anything about these points, aside form the fact that they were announced with samples shown at the 2011 Nuremberg Toy Fair? A picture appears in this thread but apart from that there appears to be no concrete (sorry!) information out there. The Peco site is virtually useless anyway, and although 'turnout plans' are available for download, not for the new points.

Comparing the picture with a normal long point, the new one is 9 sleepers longer, so ought to have a length of some 12½". The spring mechanism appears to be different, and the insulation breaks in the stock rails has been moved to the knuckle.

However, it would be useful to know the curve radius (I assume the frog to be 12°, as usual with Peco) - does anyone know this? And is there any word on availability?

Incidentally, the official German Peco importer, Weinert, has also announced his own range of Peco-based, Peco-compatibe track work "Mein Gleis" (my track), including extra-long points featuring continuous blades and German-style double sleepers. These also have yet to appear.

Wow that German point it great, if that tie bar proves robust enough it looks absolutely superb and is the missing link in finescale trackwork at the moment.

We don't know what happened to the Peco OHLE either though the steel sleepered track seems to have turned up.

• 2 months later...

I have some information from Peco about the new points: due to major tooling repairs, the release of these points has been delayed. However, wooden sleepered versions are also being prepared, and should hopefully be available "in the early part of next year."

Templates are not yet available, but the rail geometry is the same as the code 83 US-style Number 8 points (SL-8381 & SL-8382), but obviously with different sleeper arrangements. According to the templates for those, the points are 12.65" long, but the radius and angle is not specified there.

I visited the Weinert stand at the Leipzig hobby show (open to the public) a couple of weeks ago. One of the long points wwas on display, but they won't be available until Christmas (and I think they are being optimistic there).

Have since found a useful table of Peco point sizes, angles and radii at http://www.rmcq.mixe..._dimensions.pdf . According to that table, the Number 8 points, and therefore the new 'extra-long' points, have an exit angle of 7.15°, and a radius of 67".

Unlike standard Peco points, these are straight from the knuckle to the end. It is unclear whether the radius quoted refers to the curve radius between tongue tip and knuckle, or the 'drop-in' or average radius over the whole length of the point.

Pity there are no matching crossings or slips... they'd only be about 16½" long...

Archived