55022 working this weekend.

DelticBlade

Hello all

Thanks for posting these photos.

I am a fan of the Deltics in green and blue but I have to say I don't really like the silver cantrail grilles and fuel tanks. I think they look a bit tacky. Are others keen?

cheers

Ben A.

I don't especially like it but I think we're in the minority Ben - most of the Deltic folk I know are rather happy with it. At least it's based on a livery 22 carried in late 1981 as applied by Stratford depot rather than something plucked out of the air. The first time a Deltic received the silver/white roof and tank detailing was when 55005 was similarly treated for the Mail by Rail celebrations in 1980. The paint was applied at Stratford - not Fins Park, York or Haymarket - and it was evidence of this depot's liking for showy white paint. Stratford remember were slapping the old silver/white about quite a bit during the Silver Jubilee in 1977 when locos right, left and centre were running round the Great Eastern with full white roofs. So the paint scheme has its roots in east London which is why when I see too much silver/white paint, my mind turns to cockneys in white shoes, pearly kings etc - too much of an overtone of Essex for my taste. Know what I mean?

• 2 years later...

Archived