Mk3 (or third time lucky )

mallardsp126

Hi all thought it was about time that I broke my duck and started a layout thread so here goes a shor expanation of title about three years ago I had a layout in the loft quite advanced as well then while on holiday I had a heart attack fortunately im still here but whilst recovering from this it was decided that the layout shoul be brought down from the loft sa it would not be good to have anymore problems in the loft lucky that I had a shed in the garden that was converted insulated etc again started layout .

then decided there was not enough space so after consultation with my wife a second shed was aquired and a larger shed was built from the two resulting in a 14Ft by 10 Ft shed hence the title Mk3 pics and up dates to follow fingers crossed I an post photos bye for now

Geoff

post-5349-0-30404400-1313694622_thumb.jpgpost-5349-0-26127700-1313694631_thumb.jpgpost-5349-0-94833300-1313694642_thumb.jpgpost-5349-0-58906200-1313694652_thumb.jpg

the first two photos show the original through station board being extended then in the last two photos it is in position and screwed down if anyone would like to see more just say so and I will be thrilled that you are showing an interest in my humble efforts unfortunately due to a nasty virus mugging my last PC I lost a lot of pics of the layout so there will be a time jump with the next photos

thanks for looking

tay well bye for now Geoff

In the last photo it looks like your shed isn't square but could just be a camera thing. The track looks really close to the wall.

Hi if you look closely there is a gap between end of board and shed wall this has now been filed in but yes even after filling in the tracks are close to the wall also the shed is not quite square but yes the camera angle makes it look worse than it is thanks for the coment

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-5349-0-83140900-1316204937_thumb.jpgpost-5349-0-36549500-1316204987_thumb.jpgpost-5349-0-08310700-1316205011_thumb.jpg

hello everyone more photos for you to look at showing various parts of the terminus station includeing the sheds turntable etc there is also a large ash plant and cenotaugh coaling tower to be installed once I have made them.

bye for now

Geoff

PS any coments please good or bad dont be shy a lot of you have looked at this thread if my efforts are that bad please say so things canot improve if I dont know if its good or bad!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff, I joined the forum yesterday and have only just found your thread. My first comment would be dont let other people's apathy affect your own enthusiasm for the project as there are plenty of people that "ghost" forums without speaking, who might well be very interested in your project. Your project may well be the thing that coaxes them out of their ghosting to actually say something ( as it has done with me as this is my first post ). So thanks for that.

You certainly have the space to build a good sized layout in this shed and you look to have made a solid start, but your thread leaves a lot of questions open. What gauge is it ? N gauge i'm guessing ? DC or DCC ? Do you have a track plan to ponder over, if you do then this makes it easier to consider issues that might arise with wiring or scenery. Without these pieces of information its hard for people to give any helpful comments.

Your pictures do raise an obvious question, How are you going to reach the back of the layout to do scenery or maintenance ?

I do like the layout of your project with the terminus in the middle and the continuous run around the outside, as it is exactly the same as one of my layouts, although mine was built in OO and spead across three separate baseboards to allow easy access to all parts of the system.

Best of luck mate.

Paul

Hi Geoff, I joined the forum yesterday and have only just found your thread. My first comment would be dont let other people's apathy affect your own enthusiasm for the project as there are plenty of people that "ghost" forums without speaking, who might well be very interested in your project. Your project may well be the thing that coaxes them out of their ghosting to actually say something ( as it has done with me as this is my first post ). So thanks for that.

I totally agree - I'm one of those. Just found this thread, so keep up the good work please - it looks like a good interesting layout you are getting there :)

Hi Geoff,

I am sorry you are not going to continue to update us on your layout. I thought it was a really good start and would love to see how it comes together. I think your wood working is very impressive and I am certainly envious of your skills (and the space you have available.

I have a blog that doesn't get much in the way of comments but I find that posting my progress on here is a good motivator regardless of how many read it or comment on the work.

Keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...

hello folks its been a while since I looked at my thread it is a pleasant supprise to see some encouraging replies so many thanks to you guys for replying it means a lot to me that people have taken the time to look at my work . I know that my modeling skills will not set the modeling world on fire but its the best that I can do in reply to some of the posts yes the layout is ngauge sorry I dont have a layout plan on the pc unable to scan to it scaner busted at the moment. re reaching the back of the layout yes its a pain as board depth is 3 Ft but eventualy I will make a track rubber that can be towed around the layout then follow this with a spirit cleaner from Dcc supplies hopfully this should do the job for me as most of the track at the back in the photos will be coverd by a set of lift of sections to create a hidden rat run and finnaly control is DC as I canot justify the expence of chipping all my locos as my stable is in exess of 40 or more maybe when I win the lottery this will change

bye for now and a big thank you for looking

Geoff

I ran across this thread ealier today, but couldn't respond as I was at work and IT was around. :nono:

Your layout looks good and it seems to be coming along well, do you have a track plan you could post?

I'm going to be starting in the garage in the next couple of weeks and I'm thinking of doing something similar with 3 by 1 7/8 inch softwood with 9mm ply on top. I'm interested how you you put together the framing for the baseboards, they look like a professional job.

Cheers

Bryant

I ran across this thread ealier today, but couldn't respond as I was at work and IT was around. :nono:

Your layout looks good and it seems to be coming along well, do you have a track plan you could post?

I'm going to be starting in the garage in the next couple of weeks and I'm thinking of doing something similar with 3 by 1 7/8 inch softwood with 9mm ply on top. I'm interested how you you put together the framing for the baseboards, they look like a professional job.

Cheers

Bryant

hi Bryant the framing for the baseboards was done by myself it is fairly strait forward with glued and screwed butt joints just remember to drill/cut plenty of reasonable sized holes to enable wiring to be threaded through helps keep things tidy ish thats the theory anyway

thats all for now

Geoff

post-5349-0-89943500-1320436346_thumb.jpg[

post-5349-0-81554300-1320436381_thumb.jpg

Hello once again in these pics you can see the framwork for a scenic section over the fiddle yard this will hinge up to allow access to said fiddle yard and also add some much needed greenery to entrance to the fiddle yard will be through some tunnels at each end a lot more than would be prototypical but this is needed to make things work and look somthing like it should hopfully

thanks for looking

stay well n healthy

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

post-5349-0-23976200-1321299363_thumb.jpg[

post-5349-0-18147000-1321299393_thumb.jpg

Hi been having a play with my camera trying for a different angle to look at my layout so thought that I would put these two up for you too look at one is obviously the through station still got the platforms to make the other is the turntable, coaling, water and sanding facilities

bye for now

Geoff

Archived